What's new

Modern Razor for Vintage Shaver?

I appreciate the recommendations so far, and am researching a couple, but I'm still wondering if anyone can answer this. "Are these new razors as good as...or even better than.. the vintage Gillettes I have been using?" If I had to choose a vintage Gillette DE razor that I could probably use every day for the rest of my life, it would be either a Gillette NEW (long comb) with an Astra SP blade or a Ranger Tech with a Feather blade.

As far as affordable, I'd put my upper limit at US $100.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I appreciate the recommendations so far, and am researching a couple, but I'm still wondering if anyone can answer this. "Are these new razors as good as...or even better than.. the vintage Gillettes I have been using?" If I had to choose a vintage Gillette DE razor that I could probably use every day for the rest of my life, it would be either a Gillette NEW (long comb) with an Astra SP blade or a Ranger Tech with a Feather blade.

1619003541262.gif

"Are these new razors as good as...or even better than.. the vintage Gillettes I have been using?" . . .

Only you can determine that by using them. If I were forced to pick only one out of my collection for the rest of my life it would likely be the humble Gillette Tech with 2 shims. It works best for both face and head shaving.

At your wise price limit, I can say that the Rockwell is butter smooth, and the head is more bulky. The brass Karve is also quite smooth, has a different feel from Gillettes and Rockwell, and is a beautiful work of art at a nice price. It gets more expensive if you have to add plates to determine your comfort level. But those plates seem easy to buy and sell here.

In that case head for the RazoRock / Italian Barber website and you'll be a happy camper, as these are the best modern razors, made of 316 SS, with a wide range of also SS handles. Think Lupo and Gamechanger primarily.

You also might want to try their SE "king", the Hawk V3, which fares around $70, hard to beat for the money, fantastic shaver.

Alternatively, you can get yourself the Blackland Vector. I know it's twice your stated budget, but then you'll get the best modern razor money can buy. Worth every cent BTW.

I can get a nice, close and comfortable BBS with both, but they feel different. The reason I like modern razors, is because they can be very efficient and smooth/mild at the same time while I find most vintage razors to be either mild and not very effitient or efficient but not very comfortable ( like the Old Type for instance). I think modern DE razors are making the whole shaving process a bit easier, faster and more comfortable compared to most vintage DE razors, but they both pretty much do the same thing, it's just a bit different.

You don't have to spend lots of money either. Just grab either a Razorock Game Changer 68-84 sb or Lupo 72-95. For around 60-70$ I think those two models are some of the best options you can find and almost everyone likes them.

At the $100 or less: Pearl Flexi covers the whole spectrum in blade-feel, and is very efficient. Karve with D plate, Razorock GC .84 or Lupo .95. All perform at least as well as my substantial vintage collection.

The only serious competition: Myatt Daymark, '30s-'40s British Gillette Aristocrats.

Good to know!
Yes, so common sense tells me there must be a difference. I have also read that the C glides better on the face than the S.

To be clear, though, I have never tried a Rockwell.

I have tried the stainless steel GC clone heads from DS Cosmetics: the DS 8 and 9. (They stick another letter in there for one but cannot remember right now.)

I have used those heads on a Maggard MR5 SS handle, but Maggard has more SS handle options. ($16-$19)

The DS Cosmetic heads cost around $30 or so depending on timing (sales, coupons, etc.)

So before shipping, you are looking at $50 or so. $80 if you want the flexibility of 2 levels of aggressiveness.

I found both heads to be smooth and efficient. The DS 8 in particular was very tech-like. Despite the name, the blade gap is .68mm. The DS 9 is .86mm.

Handle:

Those vintage Gillette’s are the best of the best if you ask me. Unless you’re looking for stainless steel of course, then it’s a whole different story, you have a lot of options I’m sure.

I have yet to try anything modern with the comfort and efficiency of a vintage Super Speed however, so can’t help you there.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets

If it is to discuss exquisite design and processing details, difficult craftsmanship, high-grade materials... it is affirmative that modern is better.

If we are talking about shaving experience, it is pure ymmv; don’t forget that there are many fans at B&B who love SR, they can put naked blades directly on their faces.

But according to my own experience, Modern de does bring me a very comfortable and efficient shaving, without worrying about the guilt of consumption.

Last edited:
I use a vintage Gillette Super Speed, but will echo @DaveHStone to say that the Razorock Game Changer and Blackland Vector consistently beat it. Don't get me wrong - I still love the Super Speed and get a good shave from it, but I feel like I get closer, more comfortable shaves more consistently from GC, Vector and Karve. If you're just wanting to dip your toes, wait for a GC to come up used on BST.

Those vintage Gillette’s are the best of the best if you ask me. Unless you’re looking for stainless steel of course, then it’s a whole different story, you have a lot of options I’m sure.

I have yet to try anything modern with the comfort and efficiency of a vintage Super Speed however, so can’t help you there.
I forgot if I mentioned it here or in another thread, but the Baili 177 (or 179, just different color), and the Brass Weishi 9306, shave pretty close to a Superspeed. I only have the red flair tip. The Weishi is the best bet since it is brass rather than zamak like the Baili. Also, the Weishi is less mild than the Baili and more efficient without being aggressive. YMMV. You can get each for under $10. Just dont overpay for the Weishi in your local store under the VDH brand or Micro Touch.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I could give several options, but first...what is reasonably priced to you?

Top Bottom