What's new

Modern May 2024

My second outing with the Mongoose B-3 SE with a Feather B-30 AC blade(2). My second outing with any SE, ever, unless you count things like the Gillette "Good News" back in the 90s.

And I don't count those.

20240506_075812~2.jpg

Shower as pre-shave, but forgot my customary conditioner application.
Arko!
RazoRock synthetic
Alum
Witch hazel
The Veg

So far, this has produced serviceable shaves, if not necessarily as close as I'm accustomed to with my DEs. I'll have to get some Schick Prolines and see how it goes.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Modern May

Overlander Evening

Last night’s stellar shave
Karve brass Overlander on PAA el Fantasma Naranja Handle
Shark Platinum (4)
Damp facecloth aka “shave binky
Wash and Lather: AP ShaveCo Dinosaur G5C 28mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: warm shower
:001_wub:
and a drop of hyaluronic acid
Lather: VDH Luxury Scented bowl-loaded; face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky and a drop of hyaluronic acid
Post-shave: Equate moisturizer

A close shave with minimal effort and maximum comfort was enjoyed last night. The razor just glided along and the whiskers just dissolved in its path. Minimal aftershave sting, too.

Monday Modern May shave #3 rated 9.75/10 using:
  • Razor: High Proof
  • Blade: German Personna Platinum Chrome (1)
  • Brush: Fendrihan synth (not quite as good as the RR 400)
  • Pre-shave: Proraso Rinfrescante
  • Soap: Proraso Rinfrescante
  • Post shave: Thayer’s unscented Witch Hazel followed by Old Spice splash and Proraso Rinfrescante balm
PXL_20240506_131225492.jpg
Just like today, I always need to do a little extra work on the third pass to attain BBS when I use the High Proof, but it is so mild that it does not lead to irritation. I loaded the High Proof with a fresh German Personna Platinum Chrome blade, which performed wonderfully. One small demerit on efficiency for the extra work needed to get my desired BBS finish.

The Proraso Rinfrescante pre-shave, cream, and balm is a great combo with all three products complimenting each other and leaving my face feeling, well, refreshed.

I thought the High Proof was a fitting choice for Modern May because it attempts to be a hybrid of modern cartridge razors but using traditional DE blades (one half at a time). The only real complaint I have with the High Proof is that the large flat top surface of the head drags a bit on my skin. It's a decent shaving appliance and a little boring if I'm honest. I understand that the updated version of this razor, now called simply "Proof" has a scalloped top surface to address this issue. You can no longer buy the version that I have 🤷‍♂️

My shave scoring log is found HERE.

Happy shaves everyone :badger:

"Ideal" (Super Adjustable 109 clone) / GSB / DSC G7 Synthetic / Brito lime / Stirling coconut lime / Gabel's lime menthol a/s - Afaik this was made in the 1980's so it's "modern". It has a black plastic base plate like the later SA's had. I bought it awhile ago as a novelty since it was like new and cheap and I wanted to see how it compared to an SA-109. On this first use I'd say it shaves just like a super adjustable except I don't think a 7 on it is as aggressive as on the SA. I'd say a 9 on this Ideal would be a 7 on the SA. They even copied the lock down turn of the Super Adjustable. It's actually pretty nice for a copy, I was surprised. It has a date on the box of OCT 27 - 56 -147 - 88. So it could be 1988 but no idea what the 56 and 147 mean.
20240506_163941.jpg

"Ideal" (Super Adjustable 109 clone) / GSB / DSC G7 Synthetic / Brito lime / Stirling coconut lime / Gabel's lime menthol a/s - Afaik this was made in the 1980's so it's "modern". I bought it awhile ago as a novelty since it was like new and cheap and I wanted to see how it compared to an SA-109. On this first use I'd say it shaves just like a super adjustable except I don't think a 7 on it is as aggressive as on the SA. I'd say a 9 on this Ideal would be a 7 on the SA. They even copied the lock down turn of the Super Adjustable. It's actually pretty nice for a copy, I was surprised. It has a date on the box of OCT 27 - 56 -147 - 88. So it could be 1988 but no idea what the 56 and 147 mean.View attachment 1841939
I had one of these Ideals years ago. Bought it new, online. At some point it just flat out went missing and I've never seen it since. I guess it was a clone of the 109, except without the anodized black handle. Without the black handle, it looks like "Poor Man's Slim".

I was pretty new to the game back then, and my experience with the Ideal was less than Ideal. I could almost hear Howard Kossell exclaim, "This is brutalization!" after I finished.

My only Soviet razor now is a "Vostok", which is a more close copy of a 109 Super Adjustable, but about which there is no information online.

20231028_134615~2.jpg

I had one of these Ideals years ago. Bought it new, online. At some point it just flat out went missing and I've never seen it since. I guess it was a clone of the 109, except without the anodized black handle. Without the black handle, it looks like "Poor Man's Slim".

I was pretty new to the game back then, and my experience with the Ideal was less than Ideal. I could almost hear Howard Kossell exclaim, "This is brutalization!" after I finished.

My only Soviet razor now is a "Vostok", which is a more close copy of a 109 Super Adjustable, but about which there is no information online.

View attachment 1841944
The Vostok must be a little older since it has the metal base plate. This Ideal shaved really nice, not brutal at all. Maybe yours had bad gaps or something. I doubt the QC on these Soviet razors were up to the Gillette standards either and probably varied a lot.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Monday 20240506
Modern May 2024
20240505_170829~3.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB (Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline P (6 shaves, 12 passes)
Brush: Rudy Vey 2022 B&B Contributors Brush (Mühle 25mm STF)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Taconic Shave Bay Rum Cream
Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum

Used the same kit from 5/5 again today! This kit provides an exceptionally comfortable and satisfying shaving experience with superb top tier results in all respects! :001_wub:

Superb shave!

Date07.05.2024
366 daily shaves
128/366

RazorBladeBrush
Greencult 1.0Gillette Rubie (1)Abe’s Brush Works Big Abe G5C
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
TGS Savage (11)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9/10 (Couple of small red spots)6/10 (Razor sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.75/10
(BBS-)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. Celebrating my dad’s birthday by using his Big Abe brush. Fantastic brush and excited he is turning more handles.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Modern May

Overlander Evening

Last night’s stellar shave
Karve brass Overlander on PAA el Fantasma Naranja Handle
Shark Platinum (5)
Damp facecloth aka “shave binky
AP ShaveCo Dinosaur G5C 28mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: warm shower :001_wub: and a drop of hyaluronic acid
Lather: VDH Luxury Scented bowl-loaded; face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky and a drop of hyaluronic acid
Post-shave: Equate moisturizer

I should have done something different like switch out my blade or rinse my razor more frequently. As a consequence, it was a slow shave. I’ll see if the edges are still good next time and remember to rinse the razor more often.

Top Bottom