What's new

Modern Gillette DE

There had been talk that Art of Shaving was going to release a modern Gillette tech but nothing seemed to ever materialize other than promo photos. However, search "Gillette heritage" on Amazon & you'll find this:

1571173967734.jpeg

The case looks good. Just guessing, but the razor looks like the Art of Shaving DE sold at Target (which I think was made by Muhle) but with a Gillette New style handle.

There had been talk that Art of Shaving was going to release a modern Gillette tech but nothing seemed to ever materialize other than promo photos. However, search "Gillette heritage" on Amazon & you'll find this:

View attachment 1026349

The case looks good. Just guessing, but the razor looks like the Art of Shaving DE sold at Target (which I think was made by Muhle) but with a Gillette New style handle.
Though the Art of Shaving is owned by Gillette and sells razors, afaik the razors are made by Muhle and /or Merkur, not Gillette itself. Perhaps they make their own soaps, creams and aftershaves? When I visited my local shop, the young man working there told me that all of their items can be had at a lower price on their web site. The biggest attraction of the store was that you could get a professional shave there. I wonder if anyone here has tried that.

Looks ok, I always said I would buy a safety razor if Gillette made a new one - but they've been on my blacklist since January with zero chance otherwise. Maybe the $8 billion in losses finally lit a fire under their butts and they're getting desperate.

Nice looking razor. Would be kind of cool. I'll bet it's pricey though.

I think Gillette could easily bring the DE back to prominence if they wanted to. If they marketed it right. And went back to selling quality brass razors and DE blades. And made them widely available.

But they'll never do that due to the obscene profit margins on their cartridges. They would only do that as a last resort.

View attachment 1026349

it looks like a Merkur 33 with a more hefty handle. I’ll wait and see how it works. Ahhh who am I kidding , I’ll likely buy one.

November 1 release. In time for Christmas, in a nice gift box at a competitive price. Don't really see the point of it if they're just putting their name on someone else's razor. Might as well buy the thing with the actual maker's name on it.

Not going to feel compelled to spend my money on it, though I certainly wouldn't mind having a box of that style to fit a Slim. But it's a nice idea nonetheless, even though I'd expect total lifetime sales somewhere in five figures at best.

Looks ok, I always said I would buy a safety razor if Gillette made a new one - but they've been on my blacklist since January with zero chance otherwise. Maybe the $8 billion in losses finally lit a fire under their butts and they're getting desperate.

It never ceases to amaze me how people just can't stop telling the world when they're offended about something.

Nice looking razor. Would be kind of cool. I'll bet it's pricey though.

I think Gillette could easily bring the DE back to prominence if they wanted to. If they marketed it right. And went back to selling quality brass razors and DE blades. And made them widely available.

But they'll never do that due to the obscene profit margins on their cartridges. They would only do that as a last resort.

How many people do you know in real life, outside of internet shaving forums, who want to shave with a double edge razor? I'm fairly certain neither Gillette nor Bic ran a hypnosis beam into the brains of the men of the world in the '70s to force them to switch to cartridge and disposable razors. Sometimes a new product really just does meet the needs of its users better than what came before. We are not the world, just a very small and slightly unusual subset of it.

The page says "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com" There is no ® on anything other than the pack of blades. I also dought, Gillette would produce a razor with no branding on it. it looks like a Muhle clone head on a plain handle in an aftermarket case.

The page says "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com" There is no ® on anything other than the pack of blades. I also dought, Gillette would produce a razor with no branding on it. it looks like a Muhle clone head on a plain handle in an aftermarket case.
I don’t think you have the best understanding of how Amazon works.

It never ceases to amaze me how people just can't stop telling the world when they're offended about something.

How many people do you know in real life, outside of internet shaving forums, who want to shave with a double edge razor? I'm fairly certain neither Gillette nor Bic ran a hypnosis beam into the brains of the men of the world in the '70s to force them to switch to cartridge and disposable razors. Sometimes a new product really just does meet the needs of its users better than what came before. We are not the world, just a very small and slightly unusual subset of it.

I couldn't disagree more. No Gillette didn't brainwash anyone. Of course not. Who said that? But they did spend millions in advertising to propel the switch to a more profitable product line. Advertising absolutely influences people.

I do know others that DE shave. 5 years ago I knew no one including myself. The numbers are still very small comparatively but there's no doubt they are growing.

Personally I think the time is ripe for Gillette or another company to bring DE back to the forefront. Consumers now are price driven more than ever. DE costs a fraction of what carts cost. Then there's the fact that DE is almost zero waste from an environmental standpoint. Carts are not.

Gillette is currently losing money. I saw an article a while back saying the primary reason was that beards and the "scruffy" look are in style. Another reason was the growth of dollar shave club and Harry's. But a secondary reason listed.....the return of old style DE shaving.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Nice looking razor. If I had more disposable income I'd get one. Looks like a Zamak head. At my current age it would outlive me, lol.

Now, if Gillette made a New LC in stainless, I might seriously consider blowing some dollars on one.

If they made one in brass I'd pass. They already made those, and I'd just buy more used ones that are decades old.

November 1 release. In time for Christmas, in a nice gift box at a competitive price. Don't really see the point of it if they're just putting their name on someone else's razor. Might as well buy the thing with the actual maker's name on it.

Not going to feel compelled to spend my money on it, though I certainly wouldn't mind having a box of that style to fit a Slim. But it's a nice idea nonetheless, even though I'd expect total lifetime sales somewhere in five figures at best.
Agreed. Actually, the box is the most appealing part. If it was well made with real leather, I bet there would be real demand for it, though the price no doubt would be much higher.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Case and common bar type handle have Gillette roots ... but that head is Merkur/Jagger style. I wonder where it's made.

Not a bad price if the case didn't look like plastic.

In looking at that razor, I like the case. But as others have said it looks like a Muhle clone head and a copy of Gillette's Common Bar handle, which I think was one of their worst handles ever. And I would bet that both the handle and the head are made of zamak. I guess it would have to be to be priced where it is. I've tried all the zamak razors I care to try and now either shave with the vintage brass razors like The Old Type, New Deluxe, NEW, New Improved, Slim Adjustable or the Tech. Or I'll use a Schone Open Comb or a RazoRock GameChanger Open Comb if I want to use a modern razor. All of the above are either brass or stainless steel. I'm at the point where I don't need any more razors. So no room for this one in my den. With so many making quality razors out of much more durable materials why bother? Or you can just buy a vintage often for very reasonable prices. Gillette missed the boat. And that may be by design.

...Gillette is currently losing money. I saw an article a while back saying the primary reason was that beards and the "scruffy" look are in style. Another reason was the growth of dollar shave club and Harry's. But a secondary reason listed.....the return of old style DE shaving.

The shave market was "disrupted" by Harry's & Dollar Shave Club via their slick marketing & cheap prices despite using crappy German & S. Korean blades respectively. DE shaving isn't even a blip on their radar in the USA as it's at best 0.001% of their sales there. People on Internet forums sometimes get an "insulated" view of the outside world.

If you want a Tech, but a REAL Tech, not some overpriced potmetal version trading on the Tech's superior performance history.

Top Bottom