What's new

Modern Gillette DE

Gillette is currently losing money. I saw an article a while back saying the primary reason was that beards and the "scruffy" look are in style. Another reason was the growth of dollar shave club and Harry's. But a secondary reason listed.....the return of old style DE shaving.

I've suspected for a while now that one of the reasons that beards & the scruffy look are in is that people find it difficult & painful, not to mention expensive, to shave with their multiblade razors.
During the time that I used to get painful PFB in my teens while trying to shave with a TracII, I eventually gave up & grew a beard. I restarted shaving when I went DE.

R

romsitsa

Really interesting, KCGs signature and the diamond are expired, but the name Gillette is still a valid trademark for shaving supplies. Also wonder why the maker chose to use the British emblem instead of the US one.

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
This reminds me to a Mercedes with Renault engine probably selling at a price of lambo.
[emoji16]
p.s. didnt see price first time, but its reasonable

Old tech is one and only!

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This looks like something put together from existing products (minus the box) for the people who look for gifts with a nostalgic theme for their father/father in law or friend who likes old stuff.
It's the Muhle/Edwin Jagger head in a different handle in a Gillette box and marketed as Gillette razor.

The relationship with EJ is already there because of the cartridge handles:

There's no new razor here.
For anyone who wants to buy a copy of their EJ89 with a Gillette box, this is your chance.

Last edited:
I like the case and the blades! Personally, I would purchase directly from the razor manufacturer.

No deal. You can't put a Genie back in the bottle anymore than you can reproduce a (basically hand made) Gillette razor from yesteryear. Plenty of the real McCoy still out there....

The case seem practical and nice looking and the handle does too. Certainly nicer looking case then an Altoids tin?

Though the Art of Shaving is owned by Gillette and sells razors, afaik the razors are made by Muhle and /or Merkur, not Gillette itself. Perhaps they make their own soaps, creams and aftershaves? When I visited my local shop, the young man working there told me that all of their items can be had at a lower price on their web site. The biggest attraction of the store was that you could get a professional shave there. I wonder if anyone here has tried that.
Not to let this post get side tracked, but I have tried the professional shave at the Art of Shaving in SF. It was ok from what I remember. It was a straight razor shave for most of the shave, except oddly against the grain, the guy used a gillette fusion? Loved the warm towels with the oil being massaged into the face. My girlfriend at the time bought the experience for me as a present for doing my final trombone recital. The razor burn around the neck though made the recital a little less than enjoyable...

I emailed Gillette asking them if they made this razor and will it be available at stores other than Amazon. I also emailed Art of Shaving HQ asking about this razor.

Not to let this post get side tracked, but I have tried the professional shave at the Art of Shaving in SF. It was ok from what I remember. It was a straight razor shave for most of the shave, except oddly against the grain, the guy used a gillette fusion? Loved the warm towels with the oil being massaged into the face. My girlfriend at the time bought the experience for me as a present for doing my final trombone recital. The razor burn around the neck though made the recital a little less than enjoyable...
Ha! That's amusing. I don't think I was side tracking the thread, as this is the one thing we can be sure is a true Gillette / Art of Shaving product that isn't outsourced. The razors aren't. The soaps, creams and accessories may be, but I'm betting not. In the old days, my barber used to trim my sideburns with a straight blade and some hot foam that came out of a dispenser, after stropping the blade on a leather belt that hung from the chair. That experience didn't inspire me to ask for a full shave. Nowadays, the young, hip "stylists" tell me it's no longer even mandatory to take the shaving course to get your barber's license in my state.

It is what people have been asking for, a modern Gillette DE razor. I do wonder what the handle is made from, but doubt it's brass. The cap certainly does look like one of the most modern Safety Bar design, matching what many, outside of the vintage or enthusiast arena, buy.
Imagine if it does reconnect people with DE razors?
Imagine the replication of all of the Gillette Handles
...the different head assemblies
  • 102a
  • Long Comb
  • Short Comb
  • DeLuxe
Yes, I just went there.

The case looks like the best part. The razor just doesn't look right to me. I think a Merkur OC head with an Old Type style handle or a Merkur closed comb head with a fat handle Tech style handle would have looked better.

There are no Gillette markings on the razor head. I think they made a new Gillette case and filled them with Merkur head razors.

I would consider buying one if the razor had "Gillette" markings on it. Without that, I will continue to enjoy the Merkur 34C I already own.

Ha! That's amusing. I don't think I was side tracking the thread, as this is the one thing we can be sure is a true Gillette / Art of Shaving product that isn't outsourced. The razors aren't. The soaps, creams and accessories may be, but I'm betting not. In the old days, my barber used to trim my sideburns with a straight blade and some hot foam that came out of a dispenser, after stropping the blade on a leather belt that hung from the chair. That experience didn't inspire me to ask for a full shave. Nowadays, the young, hip "stylists" tell me it's no longer even mandatory to take the shaving course to get your barber's license in my state.
No, I didn't mean to say that it was side tracking, I just don't know what the rules are on posts quite yet and didn't want my post to take us in a different direction that the original poster wanted.

That said, it is sad that it will be hard for me to find a great wet shave by a professional. Or at least one that isn't absurdly priced.

As for the razor, doesn't look Gillette. I wonder why they don't use something based on the Wilkinson Sword TTO that is metal? I didn't love the razor, but seemed more like a Gillette than the one in the picture above.

The case looks nice, assuming it isn't just plastic or cheap stamped metal. I was kind of excited when I first saw the razor, but assuming it's not stainless or brass construction, I see no reason to add this to my collection of mostly vintage razors. For that price, I can pick up a nice Gillette NEW or a 40's style Super Speed that will last for another half-century of everyday use.

The shave market was "disrupted" by Harry's & Dollar Shave Club via their slick marketing & cheap prices despite using crappy German & S. Korean blades respectively. DE shaving isn't even a blip on their radar in the USA as it's at best 0.001% of their sales there. People on Internet forums sometimes get an "insulated" view of the outside world.

Not only was the market disrupted, Gillette tried to sue both Harry's and DSC out. Judge took one look at it, threw it in the trash and forbade Gillette from ever doing that again.

Top Bottom