What's new

Modern adjustable DEs with a knurled handle?

I am considering buying a Merkur Progress, but its handle looks slippery in comparison to my Merkur HD, whose handle is knurled. Are there any modern - i.e. non vintage - adjustable DEs with a knurled handle? Thank you.

Although the Progress may look like it might be slippery, it really isn't. The longitudinal grooves allow a good grip, and it is one of the best shaving modern adjustables around. However, if you are intent on looking for something that appears more grippy, there is the REX Ambassador, the Rockwell Model T, and the Vikings Blade Emperor to consider going from most costly to least. The REX and the Emperor I own and can say that they are very good shavers. I haven't tried the Model T.

Brother Spremino,

I wish you had given your definition of "modern." I'm going to say "modern" is post 1950. The Merkur Progress dates from circa 1955, I understand.

Therefore how about the Gillette Fat Boy, Slim, and Super Adjustable razors?

Brother Spremino,

I wish you had given your definition of "modern." I'm going to say "modern" is post 1950. The Merkur Progress dates from circa 1955, I understand.

Therefore how about the Gillette Fat Boy, Slim, and Super Adjustable razors?

+1! Good suggestions!

You could also purchase a Progress, then see how it goes. My prediction is that it will be OK. However, if too slippery you could add a few rubber bands to the handle.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I have had a Mergress (tuned Progress) and a Futur. I eventually sold both off, preferring the modern Fatboy (it is younger than I am, but barely). I was unimpressed by the shaves from either, though the Futur wide open was a very aggressive beast. Too Big, unwieldy, questionable durability ..

For a newly minted shaver, I like the Rex Ambassador Adjustable, all US machined stainless as opposed to the potmetal Merkurs, but priced accordingly ..

There are some that I find really slippery when the handle and my fingers are both dry (satin finish QShave Futur clone, and the spiral pattern on the handle of new Wilkinson Sword long-handle TTO), but they end up being quite grippy when wet, even soapy wet.

Perhaps not coincidentally, I find that glossy guitar picks are easier to hang onto and keep aligned than "cats tongue", heavily sculptured, or knurled picks.

I am full up on razors myself, otherwise I might actually buy one of these. I think the Weishi Edge looks pretty cool. Gotta love the grip on this one.

Attachments

• 91-WV-F3KiL._SL1500_.jpg
    91-WV-F3KiL._SL1500_.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 26
Rockwell 6s has a nice handle. Grippy especially if I rub my fingers over my alum block first. For me the 6s gives a much better shave than the Progress too.

I am considering buying a Merkur Progress, but its handle looks slippery in comparison to my Merkur HD, whose handle is knurled. Are there any modern - i.e. non vintage - adjustable DEs with a knurled handle? Thank you.

The Parker Variant is quite grippy, covers a huge range from mild to scarily aggressive, build quality is pretty good, and the price is on point.

I prefer the Rockwell 6s to it, but the Variant sounds like it should be in the running for your upcoming purchase.

The Rex Ambassador has a fantastically grippy handle, practically Velcro! Problem is it's $250, and doesn't shave appreciably better than my Fat-Boy, Slim, or Super Adjustable.....or the Variant I used during it's pass around. - It's very nice, but I can't justify the price myself.

The Rex Ambassador has a fantastically grippy handle, practically Velcro! Problem is it's $250, and doesn't shave appreciably better than my Fat-Boy, Slim, or Super Adjustable.....or the Variant I used during it's pass around. - It's very nice, but I can't justify the price myself.

I hope to someday be at a point in life where I can spend $250 on a razor. By that point, I'll probably just hire someone to shave me each morning LOL I do covet the Rex, beautiful design, but I know it probably ain't gonna happen.

Ymmv.. For me the Rex is by far the best razor. Far better than my super adjustable...

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

It doesn’t look like it but the handle on my Gibbs has plenty of grip. The Gibbs is my best adjustable. My Super 84 was king until I picked up the Gibbs, which edges it out.

If you really want that grip, get a Variant. My Variant shaves just as well as my Slim and Rex. Out of my adjustables, the Rex has the best grip, but it depends on what you’re willing to pay.

It doesn’t look like it but the handle on my Gibbs has plenty of grip. The Gibbs is my best adjustable. My Super 84 was king until I picked up the Gibbs, which edges it out.

If you really want that grip, get a Variant. My Variant shaves just as well as my Slim and Rex. Out of my adjustables, the Rex has the best grip, but it depends on what you’re willing to pay.
Get a knurled handle on the Gibbs for the best...
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom