What's new

Mixing shoe cream colors

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Has anyone here tried mixing shoe cream colors to get closer to a shoe color?
I'm about to stock up on Saphir. Black for my black boots (well, duh), but I don't see a black cherry. I see a burgundy, but I'm not sure it's close enough.
I'm thinking of getting some cherry and mixing in some black (guessing a very small amount of black) to try to get close to the black cherry of my Dan Post Ostrich.
Do you think this could work? Or should I take a chance on burgundy working?

I'm not sure which of the 2 options you listed would work best. When I have a difficult to match leather color I take the easy way out and just use a clear or natural cream or polish.

captp

@rotto66
I'm considering that, but a colored polish should help cover/hide scratches & scuffs better. Or so I think; could be dead wrong about that.

I have a nice pair of Chelsea Boots that were originally a light tan in colour. For the last year or so I've been alternating between dark tan and burgundy when polishing. They look better than ever now, in a colour that I can only describe as a mottled mahogany. Great with jeans or chinos.

I have a nice pair of Chelsea Boots that were originally a light tan in colour. For the last year or so I've been alternating between dark tan and burgundy when polishing. They look better than ever now, in a colour that I can only describe as a mottled mahogany. Great with jeans or chinos.

Have a pair of light chestnut derbies that I polish with medium brown polish....they have a lustre and depth
now that wasn't previously there. Also used navy polish on a pair of racing green gazianos....same effect.
It's good to mix colours within reason...a little black on burgundy toecaps creates a really nice patina....and a mirror polish really makes them pop.

I've used a darker colored polish on some light colored boots to darken them a little. The results were excellent but it took a few applications to even the color out. As far as mixing colored polishes together to achieve a different shade, I see no reason why that wouldn't work.

Lighter shade to retain the color.
Darker shade or a different color entirely to add fake patina, depth.

I would not actually mix the polish, partly in case it didn’t mix well. Sequential polishing with the two colors seems like a good idea and adjust to get the color balance that you want.

I’ve done a brown and black wax polish mix one layer at at time, with a 2-3:1 ratio and it created a marbled affect, which is what we were going for.

I don’t know how you’d effectively mix two colors to get a well blended color you want.

captp

Thanks for the replies. It gives me some ideas. In wax polish I only have black and neutral. Black should work on any black boot, but I think most other colors are hard to match exactly.
As to actually mixing the colors, I would do that with the cream polishes I have; it might work, and I would only mix enough of different colors to do one or two pairs. I think the cream polishes do a better job of covering small scratches and scuffs.
I did one pair of Ariats in a burgundy, Bordeaux, deep cherry color (the boots, not the polishes), in 2 applications of Bordeaux and one of cherry cream polishes (a fairly reddish cherry) and liked the result, but next time I want to try actually mixing two creams, probably Bordeaux and cherry, but maybe cherry and black. What's the worst that can happen? I won't like it and I'll have to redo it. I'm retired, I think I can manage to find some free time on my busy calendar:001_cool:

captp

Oh yeah, forgot to add, keep the comments and opinions coming.

Top Bottom