What's new

Mixing a Manhattan, the castlecraver way

I truly hate to admit this but I have never had one of these cocktails. I feel like an uneducated rube at times. I think it stemmed from some bad experiences as a younger man. I just eschewed most mixed drinks as either fru fru or just plain awful. I now realise I was being served drinks made from "the well" as it is described around here. The liquors were not the best, uh, I mean cheap as dirt. And it showed in the results. I have always thought drinking should be a relaxing, almost contemplative activity and not a vehicle to cheap thrills or drunkeness. These classic cocktail formulas are putting me on a road to better enjoyment of the imbibing. Besides, I don't really drink much so paying for more premium spirits does not bother me much. I have no time in life anymore for cheap women or cheap booze. Even though we are entering what I call the gin season, I keep thinking of this classic drink for a really enjoyable evening diversion. Thanks for the threads guys. Keep them coming.

Regards, Todd

Interesting post - thank you! A friend and I just conducted a rye tasting and a red vermouth tasting (I won't bore you with the details - go here if interested). I was surprised that the Wild Turkey 101 Rye was the clear winner for both of us out of the six we tasted.

With regards to the vermouth, the Carpano Antica Formula was tops although we differed in our opinions on its performance in a Manhattan. I thought it was excellent, while my friend thought it was a little on the dry side.

For a "standard" vermouth, Martini & Rossi beat Cinzano and Noilly Prat to our palates. Punt e Mes is a different beast altogether, but a great vermouth if you like something a little richer with some more bitterness.

Interesting results all around. It does seem odd of that group that the Wild Turkey would be the clear favorite. Have to get some, I guess. Everything after first place you all seemed to have quite a bit of disagreement.

I looked over your tequila tasting, too. I would say about right except my experience with Casa Noble is much better than where you ended up. Pretty much my long-time favorite, although the reposado is markedly better than the blanco, which is not true for every tequila. Also, while I am not a big fan of Herradura, something must have been off with that particular bottle. It is usually more bland than actually "bad."

...Even though we are entering what I call the gin season, I keep thinking of this classic drink for a really enjoyable evening diversion...

Heresy!

The season is right for any drink you want. Certainly a well made manhattan is refreshing and delicious, perfect for a summer afternoon. I'm a big fan of gin in the summer, but there is no reason to eschew other spirits simply because it is hot out.

Mild tongue lashing rebuke noted! I shall endeavour to enjoy both with equal aplomb this summer. Always nice to have great choices when being set aright by a fellow B&B'er. Slainte!

Regards, Todd

I bought a bottle of Johnny Drum (Private Stock-$27) and was not happy with it. That lead me to this thread. When in doubt, make a cocktail. I had never had a Manhattan before tonight, but this thread was the inspiration. Thanks Castlecraver. 3 parts Bourbon, 1 part Martini and Rossi Sweet Vermouth, a slice of orange - juice and rind wrung out in the glass, several Maraschino Cherries (yum, I don't care what anyone says) and 3 heavy dashes of Angostura. I will hold back on the bitters next time, as the vermouth was quite aromatic. Excellent drink. I'm sold. Many Thanks. Darjeeling

I grew up in Wisconsin where the State Drink is a brandy manhattan. 2-3 parts cheap brandy (brand to remain un-named), cheap sweet vermooth, a dash of Agastora Bitters and a cherry or two (although my dad prefered stuffed green olives). This was OK but later in life, I discovered real manhattans. 3 parts good rye (Old Overholdt or your fav.) or any good bourbon, 1 part Stock Vermooth and a dash of a good bittters (my favorite is Peychaud's) and if you like garnish, a cherry. Enjoy!

Top Bottom