What's new

Mixing a Manhattan, the castlecraver way

(This is Part II of a "Cocktails 101" series I'm working on for the Speakeasy. Check the (upcoming) sticky in this forum for an index and info.)

Ah, the Manhattan. In my opinion, truly the king of cocktails. Although there are many possible variations, this is a pictorial recipe on my favorite way to mix a Manhattan, with Rye, sweet vermouth, and Agnostura Bitters. Not to mention the variations permitted by the many different available types of rye, vermouth, and bitters, the sky is truly the limit when you consider the possibilities of using other base liquors (scotch for a Rob Roy, Brandy for a Brandy Manhattan, etc), vermouth (add or substitute Dry Vermouth for a perfect and dry Manhattan, respectively), and ratios. These sorts of things don't bother me so much -- and in some cases (particularly where Rob Roys are concerned) are really excellent cocktails -- and juxtaposed with all the abominations that pass as "Martinis" these days, I think my lofty opinion on the enduring greatness of the Manhattan is quite justified, thankyouverymuch.

So, without any further adieu, gather your supplies:

full

Rye, Sweet Vermouth, Cocktail shaker & strainer, Bitters, Maraschino Cherries.

And now your glassware. As Tim can attest, I've been served "Manhattans" on the rocks, in standard rocks glasses. This makes me a saaaad panda. I use reguar "up" glasses (side note: "up," when referring to cocktails simply indicates that you want the drink served in a "martini" style stemmed glass. "Straight" alone specifies that you don't want ice. Its another one of my drinking pet peeves when people order drinks "straight up" when they really only mean "straight.") Anyway. I freeze my cocktail glasses, which is particularly nice for Manhattans, as I stir mine rather than shake them, which is less effective at chilling the drink.

full

Drop in your ice.

full

And begin with adding your Rye. As I mentioned, you can use just about any Whiskey you can imagine here, but Rye is the original, and IMHO there's a good reason. Fortunately, there's been a recent surge in the popularity of rye and many brands are becoming more widely available. Right now, I'm using (the last bit of) Russell's Reserve Rye, an offering from the folks who make Wild Turkey Bourbon.

full

This is a good time to talk about ratios. I use a 5:2 ratio when using RR Rye Whiskey, which is about 90 proof. With an 80 proof I'd kick it down to about 3:1, and with WT 101 Rye I'll generally go with something closer to 2:1. Its a touchy calculation, highly dependent on the properties of the whiskey you're using, the vermouth you're using, and your personal taste. I find that the 5:2 ratio when using RR and Cinzano Sweet Vermouth just hits that "sweet spot" where you still taste the "bite" of the rye, underscored by the almost candy sweetness of the vermouth. Overdoing it on the vermouth doesn't necessarily make the drink sweeter however -- its the balance of flavors that you're really looking to optimize here.

That said, you'll notice that I use the cap from the shaker to measure the ingredients. This is because, as you probably gathered from above, consistency is key. You need to be able to know exactly how much whiskey vs. vermouth you're using, so that you can adjust as necessary and reproduce your ideal Manhattan, once you've found that "sweet spot." You can use a shot glass, or of course a true jigger. For the purposes of this drink, 1 capful equalled 2 parts: i.e. I used 2.5 capfuls of Rye and 1 capful of Vermouth.

full

Then hit it with a few shakes of bitters. I go for 3 hard shakes. This is another "matter of taste" that you can play with heavily.

full

Now give it a good stir. You can shake the drink, but this emparts a cloudy color and a faintly frothy texture. You will get your drink colder, but I don't care for the look or the texture as much. I just stir it 10x or so and strain it into my pre-chilled glass.

full

full

If you're one of those guys like me who own a couple shakers but little else in the way of true barware (did you notice I stirred it with a knife? :tongue:), let me tell you how nice it is to have a true strainer rather than rely on the "holes" in the top of the shaker. The drink is just better, and you waste less.

full

Plop in your Marashino cherry garnish, and there you have it: Pat's favorite Manhattan. Superb.

Cheers!

:a54:

Last edited by a moderator:
My Uncle Russ used to create perfect Manhattans on the rocks (stirred), he loved them so! I've never tasted better. He did get caught more than once wringing the vermouth bottle while trying to get the last drop out of it.

This is a great post.

I also suggest trying out the special Fee's Barrel aged bitters and if you have the cash bitters from the Bitter Truth, designed by two German Bartenders.

Interesting post - thank you! A friend and I just conducted a rye tasting and a red vermouth tasting (I won't bore you with the details - go here if interested). I was surprised that the Wild Turkey 101 Rye was the clear winner for both of us out of the six we tasted.

With regards to the vermouth, the Carpano Antica Formula was tops although we differed in our opinions on its performance in a Manhattan. I thought it was excellent, while my friend thought it was a little on the dry side.

For a "standard" vermouth, Martini & Rossi beat Cinzano and Noilly Prat to our palates. Punt e Mes is a different beast altogether, but a great vermouth if you like something a little richer with some more bitterness.

Well done.:001_smile

It's amazing how often a restaurant bartender will omit the bitters, or add some of the cherry juice :)frown:). I mean, the drink has only three ingredients, yet people insist on screwining it up.

For me, I make them this way:
Old Overholt Rye 2.5 oz (or Makers Mark or Knob Creek, depending on mood)
Punt e Mes vermouth .75 oz
3-4 dashes Angostura
slight dash of marischino cherry juice (I just LOVE cherries, lol)
four cubes in shaker and stirred (I'll shake sometimes, but I agree...cloudy and frothy is not nearly as enjoyable)
strain into whatever I'm drinking from
garnished with two cherries
enjoy...repeat...enjoy...repeat...
eventually take Advil and large glass of water
pass out on couch watching Fox Soccer Channel

I should admit that I got started with these, but quickly graduated to taking my bourbon or rye neat...sipping is gooooood.

Ill add this:

Punt e Mes is TOO bitter for me so to balance it out, in the past I have added cherry juice.
Today, however.............I added a splash of Grand Marnier instead of the bitters and it is quite delightful, I must say :tongue_sm

Well done.:001_smile

It's amazing how often a restaurant bartender will omit the bitters, or add some of the cherry juice :)frown:). I mean, the drink has only three ingredients, yet people insist on screwining it up.

I find that most bartenders these days know very little about tending bar.

Tim

For what it's worth, I made mine the folowing way last night and it came out very well, I thought:

1.5 ounces Sazerac rye
.75 ounce Noilly Prat sweet vermouth
1 dash Angostora bitters

Enjoy!

Cheers Castlecraver!
I love a delicious Manhattan. I'm partial to a Bourbon Manhattan, but I never did meet a Rye Manhattan that I wasn't great friends with. I want to make one right now.

Having one tonight... 2oz Woodford Reserve, 3/4 oz of vermouth and a couple of dashes of Angostura. Pretty good! I only have rocks glasses though, not a proper martini glass.

Several months ago, I ordered on in a bar as I had never had one and wanted to give it a try. Not sure how they made it, but it was disgusting.

Having one tonight... 2oz Woodford Reserve, 3/4 oz of vermouth and a couple of dashes of Angostura. Pretty good! I only have rocks glasses though, not a proper martini glass.

Several months ago, I ordered on in a bar as I had never had one and wanted to give it a try. Not sure how they made it, but it was disgusting.

Nice call on the bourbon. Good time of year to have a bottle of Woodford Reserve around. :wink:

With only the very rare exception, Manhattans you'll order at restaurants are grossly inferior to a carefully-homemade drink. In fact, I've had Manhattans served (*gasp*) to me on the rocks. :yikes:

I ordered a manhattan at our company christmas party I got 1/2-1/2 Cinzano and Canadian Club on the rocks... No bitters, no fruit. =\

Top Bottom