What's new

Mitchell's Wool Fat - What Happened?

Checking back in. My puck has now swelled to the size of the crock and has cracks in it as a result of all the expansion and absorbed water. I just finished my first shave after around 4-5 days of soaking the puck. I am elated to say the lather was for the first time ever exceptional. Dense and cushiony like a soft pillow on the face. Moderately wet brush, 20 swirls on the puck. It still needed a lot of water to build up, but there was no dissipating foam on my face. No bubbles whatsoever. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I was close to throwing out the puck, but your advice has allowed me to properly experience the lather everyone gushes about.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Awesome. I think you will find The Fat is all the soap you will want. Every time I wonder off to another soap, the shave is not nearly as good and I end up back with The Fat. I simply can’t find a soap that is as slick and friendly to my skin.

Checking back in. My puck has now swelled to the size of the crock and has cracks in it as a result of all the expansion and absorbed water. I just finished my first shave after around 4-5 days of soaking the puck. I am elated to say the lather was for the first time ever exceptional. Dense and cushiony like a soft pillow on the face. Moderately wet brush, 20 swirls on the puck. It still needed a lot of water to build up, but there was no dissipating foam on my face. No bubbles whatsoever. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I was close to throwing out the puck, but your advice has allowed me to properly experience the lather everyone gushes about.

Wonderful. Just keep feeding it water once or twice a week if you’re not using it daily and it’ll be there when you need it:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome. I think you will find The Fat is all the soap you will want. Every time I wonder off to another soap, the shave is not nearly as good and I end up back with The Fat. I simply can’t find a soap that is as slick and friendly to my skin.
I'm coming around to this way of thinking. I have 10+ shaves on my puck, and it gets better with every use. I always bloom it in warm water for a few minutes before use, which seems to help.

I gave up trying to make a bowl lather with the fat.I transfered the puck into a larger bowl and now whip up a beautiful lather on the puck and face lather .The fat does improve as you use it daily.I have gone from being a fat frustrated to being a fat lover.

I gave up trying to make a bowl lather with the fat.I transfered the puck into a larger bowl and now whip up a beautiful lather on the puck and face lather .The fat does improve as you use it daily.I have gone from being a fat frustrated to being a fat lover.

The FAT is a wonderful soap. I transferred the puck to a plastic tub as well and face lather it almost exclusively... I'm going to use it even more often as I found a nicely matching AS (scent-wise)...

I always put hot water in the bowl with the puck so it's completely submerged. Let it sit for a few minutes, drain the water and it always lathers away.

I'm sad to report that in the 7 shaves since my last post where I talked about finally getting a quality lather, my puck has regressed back to giving me terrible foamy lathers that won't thicken up. I've been watering it like a plant but for some reason it's back to being terrible again. The puck has swollen to fill the crock and I've been leaving the top a little wet. I loaded with a relatively dry brush and a thin layer of water on the puck. The one time my lather was good, there was very little foam and the load was pasty in the brush. The 7 times after that, each load was foamy. I actually gave up the last two times, wiped my face and rinsed out my brush, and pulled out a tub of Stirling. Any suggestions on how I can get back to that one glorious lather from over a week ago?

I've used it twice now, and have done the "add water to make it expand and fill the container" thing now.

The lather started off super foamy. Took a lot of work and the addition of some water to calm it down. So far not the easiest soap to work with to me. Still seems nice and slick though.

I have a puck in use now and I can say it is just a mediocre soap and hard to work with.
The lather I get is slick but lacks cushioning and residual slickness. This could be due to the hard water I have now.
Not sure how long it will last on the market, with so many better, much better choices out there.

If I didn't mentioned before, I consider Mitchell's Wool Fat a mediocre shaving soap.

I'm sad to report that in the 7 shaves since my last post where I talked about finally getting a quality lather, my puck has regressed back to giving me terrible foamy lathers that won't thicken up. I've been watering it like a plant but for some reason it's back to being terrible again. The puck has swollen to fill the crock and I've been leaving the top a little wet. I loaded with a relatively dry brush and a thin layer of water on the puck. The one time my lather was good, there was very little foam and the load was pasty in the brush. The 7 times after that, each load was foamy. I actually gave up the last two times, wiped my face and rinsed out my brush, and pulled out a tub of Stirling. Any suggestions on how I can get back to that one glorious lather from over a week ago?

I've found that with soaps like MWF and Williams, there's a happy medium that needs to be reached falling between too dry and too wet. MWF is more forgiving in that respect than Williams in my experience, but I've definitely introduced too much water to MWF in the past and had issues with too think a lather.

You might have too much water now and it's causing the foamy lather. While you want the MWF to fill the crock, I don't think you want to see visible water on the puck at all times. Might be worth trying to let the puck dry out a little bit, to the point where it's filled the crock but not visibly wet.

I have a puck in use now and I can say it is just a mediocre soap and hard to work with.
The lather I get is slick but lacks cushioning and residual slickness. This could be due to the hard water I have now.
Not sure how long it will last on the market, with so many better, much better choices out there.

If I didn't mentioned before, I consider Mitchell's Wool Fat a mediocre shaving soap.
I don’t buy the hard water claims. I have water that is very hard. I have to CLR my faucets every month to two months.

I have no problem with The Fat. I use it probably 19 out of 20 shaves and I have no problem lathering it. I put about a teaspoon of cold water on the puck after every shave. If I miss a day, I check to make sure it is still watered. I load a synthetic brush for about a minute, and then add a few drops off my fingers about 3 times. I get a good hydrated lather that would be good for five passes or more.

When I first started using The Fat, people kept telling me to add more water. The results were disastrous. I ended up with runny weak foam that dried out very quickly. I now add much less water and I get along fine with The Fat.

That being said, there were some questionable pucks manufactured in the beginning of 2020. If you have one of those pucks, you will have trouble making a usable lather.

821B96DA-69FC-4863-8514-C7085AB3A03E.jpeg

As soon as you see any froth/foam, slow your swirling down. Like real slow. When the froth goes away (it will) carry on as normal. Always worked for me. Also, I wouldn't load with any water on the puck once it's hydrated and it sounds like you have it nice and hydrated.

As soon as you see any froth/foam, slow your swirling down. Like real slow. When the froth goes away (it will) carry on as normal. Always worked for me. Also, I wouldn't load with any water on the puck once it's hydrated and it sounds like you have it nice and hydrated.
Agree. I always dump off the water from the puck before loading.

MWF has always been hit or miss for me. I've been working on the same puck for close to 5 years and sometimes it performs beautifully and sometimes it's a complete fail. It appears to be temperamental regarding added water during lathering - more so than most soaps.

MWF has always been hit or miss for me. I've been working on the same puck for close to 5 years and sometimes it performs beautifully and sometimes it's a complete fail. It appears to be temperamental regarding added water during lathering - more so than most soaps.
If you don’t use it every couple of days, it will act up on you. I use mine daily and can’t complain about the performance. It is very water critical.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have used MWF a lot and can leave it months between uses so it is bone dry. I have never soaked or bloomed MWF, or any other soap. I load for 20 seconds from the dry puck with a damp brush and it face lathers easily and well. It lasts for ever and has a great post shave feel. That said, I do not appreciate MWF lack of customer support, and Tabac is a similar price and far superior. I will not purchase MWF again. 👍

After reading through this thread I decided to give my fat another go. I kept adding a bit of water to the very dry puck over several days until the puck seemed like it was at closer to a normal state. I then loaded a new badger brush like I hated the puck and proceeded to scuttle lather. This yielded plenty of lather for 4 or 5 passes. I was surprised at this because it was a brand new brush and I wasn't expecting good results until it had more use. The result was a near flawless shave.

My only complaint was that the lather seemed dry. It didn't dry out on my face and it was plenty slick enough for the shave, it was just dryer than I expected. Possibly it needed more water? I was afraid to add too much for fear of losing the whole batch. Any advise from the experts?

Top Bottom