What's new

Mitchell's Wool Fat - What Happened?

I finished up a puck of one of my favorites, Mitchell's Wool Fat, and dropped fresh puck into the mug. This fresh puck isn't easy to lather. What happened?

The last puck lathered nearly as easy as Tabak or Cella, but the new one is almost as difficult as Williams. I usually used a Silvertip brush with it, but now it seems to demand a stiffer brush like a Finest.

The only thing I did differently was that I didn't shred the puck to make it fit the mug this time. There was enough of the old puck along the sides that I was able to push the new puck in with the old stuff filling in the edge for a perfect fit.

I'm hoping that when the new puck gets a bit more hydrated with use it will behave as before.

I'm wondering if the formula has changed or if there is a variance from batch to batch.

Any suggestions or speculations?

Some things that help are grating the puck and pressing the shavings into the mug. This will help to break the surface so that you can get to the good stuff. I've used a kitchen grater for this before just like you'd use to do carrots for a salad.

Using the soap daily will also allow it to retain some moisture enabling you to pick up soap more easily as well.

Yep, last time you grated it and it absorbed water quickly. It's a thirsty soap and grows too once it drinks some water. Will be back to normal soon.

Just needs a little waking up. A new puck can be a little slow to start until its taken on a bit of water. Hang in there, you'll be back to normal soon :)
proxy.php

Yep, last time you grated it and it absorbed water quickly. It's a thirsty soap and grows too once it drinks some water. Will be back to normal soon.

+1! It should be back to normal performance after a few uses!! :a29:

I never shredded mine but I do remember that after setting my MWF aside for a couple months while on a tour of my other stuff that it was a pain to get it going again.

Also in that time it had cracked in to several large pieces, a sure sign that all the residual water I had worked into it had evaporated.

I’m not sure it’s been covered yet, but it needs to be hydrated. I keep mine in a covered container and will moisturize it periodically if not in regular use.

I’ve found that once it cracks, the best remedy is to grate, press, then soak the pieces to rehydrate it. Then cover it and use it up.

As i read somewhere and being long time MWF user, I can attest this soap loves to have a personal micro climate, bit moist and under the wraps.

My bowl of MWF has been dormant for about 6 years. A single crack in it (the creams in jars in my resuscitated shave den didn't fare so well). I shaved with it about a week ago and it was a bit of work to get a lather. Still got a good result but with effort. After reading this I put some water in the bowl and left it lidded and it grew as you described. It's looking much better. I'm going to give it a couple more days and I will report back with results.

I should have taken before and after pics.

Top Bottom