What's new

Mismatched Gentile Exposure

I own about half a dozen Fatips and they hold a fond spot in my collection.

I’m currently drawn most to the Gentile as I’m in a mild razor phase.

I’m finding that one side of the razor has more exposure than the other.

I’ve not yet experienced alignment issues with any of the razors. I always load the blade with the razor upside down (tbh struggle to think how anyone could do it another way). The TG is also slightly different as the blade is aligned ok. It’s just more exposed on one side than the other.

Any fixes other users can suggest, as it’s otherwise in my sweet spot right now?

Mine is the same. No fix, I’ve tried it all. The problem is the top cap it seems. It always locks in position with the top cap not centered.

It sits in my drawer.

Had the same problem with a Nickel Fatip Grande Testina originale. One (or both) of the bullets on the cap are not soldered straight. Impossible to repair. Italian craftsmanship at its best.

I guess you tried turning the top cap 180 degrees?

Some would argue you have got a unique Fatip feature: variable exposure. With this razor, you have a more aggressive side, ideal for the initial pass. A simple flip to the other side, and you have milder exposure for the clean-up pass!

In case the variable exposure feature doesn't appeal to you, you could probably just swap the top cap from one of your other Fatips onto the Gentile base plate. You could even use a Muhle R89 top cap and another handle with the standard M5 threading.

I had the same issue with a Piccolo. If you can manually adjust the blade then fine, but as Ivan says, sometimes you get a cap with a wonky post on the bottom and there's nothing to be done. I returned that razor and got another. It's the only one of 5 Fatips I have that had an issue, but you gotta check 'em over when they arrive to be on the safe side.

Thanks gents. Probably too far past the purchase date to return.

Will another top cap solve it? I have loads of other razors.

lasta

Blade Biter
Fatip nipples are smaller than the holes in the baseplate. Misalignment is a common problem.

Putting one or two layers of tape around the nipples should solve the problem.

Or you can do it like @Rosseforp do: hammer a percussion cap into the baseplate holes.

Thanks gents. Probably too far past the purchase date to return.

Will another top cap solve it? I have loads of other razors.

You could probably just swap the top cap from one of your other Fatips onto the Gentile base plate.

You could even use the Gentile base plate with a Muhle R89 or Merkur 23c top cap and any razor handle with the standard M5 threading. Standard Fatip threading is M4.5 and so the Fatip handle won't usually work with the top cap from another make.

I used an old picollo baseplate with it this morning for a shave. Worked a treat. Thanks gentlemen. 👍

Top Bottom