What's new

Mild DE Blades

I like Personna Med Preps-- they're plenty sharp, but don't have the harshness of, say, a Feather on the first shave. YMMV, of course. :001_smile

To me the most mild blade is the Derby. However, some folks do not like them because they are not the sharpest. Other blades that are smooth - to me - are the Lord blades and Personna Reds.

For me the Personna Med or Lab blades are the best combination of sharpness and smoothness.

Gillette Bleue Extra NOS, Jilet Astra Platinum,German Wilkinson Sword, Red Personnas, Voskhod and Bic Chrome Platinum.

Gillette Nacet Platinums. Not a blade that gets a lot of attention, mostly because it's not a jaw-dropper of a blade. It's a decent shaver and will get the job done without setting your face ablaze.

Hopefully.

I started with Derby and they were fine. But, if I was only beginning today I think I would go with Astra SP. I love Personna Blue Labs, but they are not as mild as the Astras--YMMV

Timor, sharp but silky smooth.
And Dorco ST-301's work too for me, excellent newbie blade I think. Not too sharp but very forgiving. I learned my skills mostly on these blades.

Personna Reds and Timors are my favorite mild blades. 7 o'clock Blacks are very sharp, but also forgiving for me, as are Med Preps. Silver Blues are mild and forgiving, good blade.

I guess I still don't know what mild is. Maybe I don't know what is not mild either. My opinion on razor blades is the same as knives: Dull is dangerous. But all razor blades I'm aware of so far at least start out sharp.

But Derby blades do have a reputation for being forgiving, whatever that means. I happen to think they are ok. I think the Astra SP blades are also ok. I have also used the Wilkinson Sword blades from Walmart and they are fine too.

I have also used a store brand which I understand is made by American Safety Razor. They are not as smooth as the three other brands I mentioned (and also over priced).

With what I know now, I would recommend the Astra SP. The price is right and they are good blades.

Derby is definitely a mild blade. I like it a lot as it can get the job done without worrying about nicks. As I just recently started back to DE shaving, I am also trying other blades such as Personna, Astra, and Feather to get an idea as to which works best for me.

Top Bottom