What's new

Mike's hand made soaps from Brooklyn.

MIKE's NATURAL SOAPS (A different poll)

• Handmade in the U.S.A.

• Handmade in Ann Arbor, MI

• Doesn't matter

Results are only viewable after voting.
I got one sent over by a friend in the US and am very pleased. Perhaps in time he could be persuaded to invest in a die to mould puck shaped soaps.

After reading the incredible reviews I bought two flavors of Mike's stuff. However, the amount of work needed to get enough good lather for two passes is ridiculous. In just two days of practice-lathering, my right arm looks like Schwarzenegger's. What is with this stuff? It makes Cella look like a lather-dispenser.

Is Mystic water soaps any easier to lather?

I would recommending trying a wetter brush to start. It is a pretty thirsty soap and likes water. It might take a few tries to get the sweet spot, but it is certainly worth the effort as it is capable to producing some of the best lather I have ever shaved with.......

proxy.php

I would recommending trying a wetter brush to start. It is a pretty thirsty soap and likes water. It might take a few tries to get the sweet spot, but it is certainly worth the effort as it is capable to producing some of the best lather I have ever shaved with.......

proxy.php

Yes. I left this soap and came back. Use it even though I don't care for the scent of the one I have because the lather is so amenable to my skin. This is usually a non-starter for me. Try wetting your brush and instead of shaking out the water, just suspend it upside down and let it drain till it's just dripping and then start loading. Add a few drops at a time as needed afterwards.

If none of that works for you, then send it to Doc who warehouses all the unloved shaving gear (soon to be a major motion picture from Pixar with Tom Hanks as the broken Gillette Toggle)

I use a boar brush and use the Marco Method when lathering Mike's. I also let the puck sit with water on it while I shower, I get voluminous lather this way. As Cochese2323 said, Mikes is a thirsty soap so do be afraid to add more water than usual to the lather. Good luck!

My way using Mikes. Hot water on the soap for a minute or so. Shake Brush once or twice (Horse or Boar for me), load brush upside down and swirl very aggresively for about 45-60 seconds, coat both outside and inside of brush. via swirling.

Lather in bowl with a small pool of water ( this becomes easy to see by eye after a while) till it gets resistant and hard to swirl, add more drops of water until you get an amazing lather, very thick and very protective, and not a bit irritating. Yes, you need to use a bit of elbow grease.

Once you get your tekkers down you will be golden though. I don't plan on using another soap for the rest of my shaving existence, so Mike better keep himself good and healthy.

Last edited:
First use of one of Mike's soaps this morning and I am mighty impressed, not just by the ease of lathering and shave quality, but also by the superb after feel.

I love mikes! Never had trouble lathering it. But I always soak it with warm water for a few minutes before loading my brush. Maybe try this.

Top Bottom