What's new

Michiganlover's Blade Sampling

To sum it up in one word, today was a BLOODBATH!!

Sunday August 9th

Day two with the Bullet Tip Micromatic, this time with a Ted Pella Gem blade.

The Setup:

-Dove conditioner as pre-prep.
-Penworks 22mm badger in finest
-TOBS Mr. Taylor/ Shave Shop (didn't have enough of either sample left for the whole shave, so I made up two batches).
-Gillette Fusion ASB

So the Ted Pella blade felt quite a bit smoother than the Pal blades I had been using in my collection of SE razors. I thought, hey this is a marketed improvement over the Pal blades, which always felt rough, and rather aggressive.

I am not sure what went wrong today, but not only did I get the usual weeper on my lip, from the bump where there is the childhood scar, but I also got another two weepers on my upper lip. I got a couple more on the left side of my neck, and then about 4 sideways long cuts in various parts of my face; which I had always thought were only possible if you shaved at funky angles. :crying::crying:

I don't know if the Ted Pella is far sharper than the Pal, and thus I got more cuts than I was expecting, or if my first batch of lather was perhaps way to dry, and thus not as lubricating as it should have been.

The one side of my face felt as if the razor was not gliding at all. The feel felt better with the second round of lather, which was quite a bit wetter.

I did my usual WTG, WTG, XTG three pass shave, and then some touch ups.

Clearly, I am still a newbie who is learning the many facets of good technique. :cool: :lol:

Tomorrow I will go back to the "Lord Merkur Tech" to continue my blade testing, with day 2 on a Gillette Seven O'Clock Green blade. :w00t:

Hokey Smokes! It may have been a combination of the two, bad lather and blade angle, though I have to say the shaves from the SE's are extremely smooth.

Hokey Smokes! It may have been a combination of the two, bad lather and blade angle, though I have to say the shaves from the SE's are extremely smooth.

I plan on re-trying again soon (probably Sunday).

Those sideways gashes were so severe, they are still viable today; three days later. OUCH!!:cursing:

I plan on re-trying again soon (probably Sunday).

Those sideways gashes were so severe, they are still viable today; three days later. OUCH!!:cursing:

Thursday August 13th

Decided that re-trying my SE Gem Bullet Tip Micromatic was better sooner than later. So I used it again today, with the same Ted Pella blade as last time.

The Setup:

-Dove conditioner
-Penworks Finest Badger
-The Real Shaving Company SC
-Ogallala Bay Rum -Limes and Peppercorns AS

This was an excellent very close, and comfortable shave. The Ted Pella blades seem to provide a smoother shave, that is not as rough as the Pal blades.

Here's what I did differently over last time:

1) I made sure my lather was significantly wet.
2) I held the razor at an angle that felt comfortable to me, rather than trying to enforce an almost flat on the face style that Gem proclaims in their instructions.

It might change with time (and with further blade testing), but I think at this point my SE Gems give a superior shave. :w00t::w00t:

Last edited:
Friday August 14th

1st shave with Red Tip Superspeed w/ Green Gillette Seven O'Clock

The Setup:

-Dove conditioner
-Penworks Finest Badger
-TOBS St. James
-C.O. Bigelow Elixir Red ASB

Wow, was this an incredible shave!! I had to check at first, and make sure I actually put a blade in the red tip!! :lol::lol:

This was clearly the smoothest shave yet, with a DE.

I would of even walked away nick free, except I decided to experiment, and try going ATG on my upper lip. This caused almost instantaneous tearing, so I got a few small weepers as a result: There is a reason why I never do ATG!! :mad:

Saturday August 15th

2nd shave with Red Tip Superspeed w/ Green Gillette Seven O'Clock

The Setup:

-Dove conditioner
-Omega Boar #49
-VDH Deluxe

Thought I would give my Boar brush some love today, as I have not even used it enough yet to break it in. Today's shave was as equally smooth as yesterday, and this time nick free. :w00t:

I am really thinking that the Red Tip Superspeed is jut an amazing razor. Seems to cut closer, and be a smoother shave overall than my 40's Style Superspeed.

Tomorrow will be the final round of the "Gillette Seven O'Clock Green" blades. I think Monday I will start with the "Lord Super Stainless".

Have a great weekend everyone! :cool:

Sunday August 16th

3nd shave with Red Tip Superspeed w/ Green Gillette Seven O'Clock

The Setup:

-Dove conditioner
-Omega Boar #49
-Real Shaving Sensitive

Still giving my Omega Boar some love, as I would like to break it in. Overall, an excellent close, and comfortable shave. No complaints.

I did notice that my upper lip had some "white heads" form from yesterday. Maybe I caused too much irritation to my upper lip yesterday? It feels a little bit "tingly" after shaving today.

My upper lip always seems to have some stubborn hairs, that require extra passes to take care of.

Tomorrow I will use the "Lord Merkur Tech" with the "Lord Super Stainless" blades. :tongue_sm

Whch green are you using, the indian or the russian?
I've only tried the russian and wasn't too impressed with that compared to the yellow 7 oclock, or any of the israeli or japanese blades

After doing some further reading today, I checked the blade wrapper, and they are "Gillette Seven O'Clock Super Stainless" which makes them the Russian made blades.

I only had 3 of them, having included the other two with some shipments I sent out to a newbie. Overall, I found the shave with them to be very pleasant, and perhaps slightly more smooth than a Derby blade.

Monday August 17th

1st shave with Lord Super Stainless in the "Lord Merkur Tech"

The Setup:

-Dove conditioner
-Omega Boar #49
-Real Shaving Sensitive
-Ogallala Bay Rum Limes and Peppercorns

While this is only shave #1 on this blade type, I already feel that this blade is a whole lot less smooth than either a Derby blade, or the Gillette Greens. Part of me just wants to bin them, and move on, while the other part says I should give them a fair shake. :confused::confused:

I also managed to cut my upper lip today (shaving over my always persistent bump from a childhood scar), worse than I have cut it in weeks. It's not a weeper/ nick, it's an actual gash from where the blade dug into my face! OUCH!! :mad::mad: (cutting it that badly usually takes at least a few days to heal.)

Anyway, tomorrow may start a new blade type. :rolleyes:

Also, razor #3 for purposes of this blade testing is now a Gillette Slim Adjustable. So the 3 razors are:

-Lord Merkur Tech
-Gillette Red Tip Superspeed
-Gillette Slim Adjustable

Tuesday August 18th

1st shave with Zorrik Super Stainless in the "Lord Merkur Tech"

The Setup:

-Dove conditioner
-Omega Boar #49
-VDH Deluxe

So the shave with the Zorrik was a whole lot more smooth than the Lord Stainless yesterday. I don't think it is as smooth as the Gillette Green, but will know better with further testing.

I couldn't see myself enduring more shaves with the Lord, although I may revisit them in the future.

At least I didn't get a gigantic gash in my face that bleed for 10 minutes!! :mad::mad:

Wednesday August 19th

2nd shave with Zorrik Super Stainless in the "Lord Merkur Tech"

The Setup:

-Dove conditioner
-Penworks Finest Badger 22mm
-VDH Deluxe

I am not sure what happened, but the Zorrik blade feels very rough today. Is it possible these are only 1 shave blades?

I also decided to face lather the VDH today, which seemed to work really well (I usually bowl lather).

I got two nicks on my upper lip, which is pretty much normal for me, as there are some stubborn hairs that are hard to remove, and that always persistent bump from a childhood scar.

Not sure if tomorrow will be shave 3 on the Zorrik blade, or if I will move on to a different razor with a new Zorrik blade.

Thursday August 20th

After the less than perfect result with the Zorrik blade yesterday, I have decided to try a new Zorrik in one of my other test razors.

1st shave with Zorrik Super Stainless in the Gillette Slim Adjustable.

The Setup:

-Dove conditioner
-Omega 49 in Red
-"The Real Shaving Company" Sensitive SC
-Ogallala Bay Rum Limes and Peppercorns AS

This was my first ever shave with a Slim! I have to say the result was flat out amazing. Clearly the smoothest shave I have had to date!

I did 3 passes: WTG, WTG, XTG, and then minor touch ups. I had the Slim set @ 3 for the WTG, @ 2 for the XTG, and @ 1 for the touch ups.

This was also the first shave in a love time, where I didn't cut myself. Woo Hoo!! :thumbup:

Tomorrow will tell me if the Zorrik blades really are just a two shave blade.

Stay tuned, and have a great day! :biggrin:

Wednesday August 19th

2nd shave with Zorrik Super Stainless in the "Lord Merkur Tech"

The Setup:

-Dove conditioner
-Penworks Finest Badger 22mm
-VDH Deluxe

I am not sure what happened, but the Zorrik blade feels very rough today. Is it possible these are only 1 shave blades?

I also decided to face lather the VDH today, which seemed to work really well (I usually bowl lather).

I got two nicks on my upper lip, which is pretty much normal for me, as there are some stubborn hairs that are hard to remove, and that always persistent bump from a childhood scar.

Not sure if tomorrow will be shave 3 on the Zorrik blade, or if I will move on to a different razor with a new Zorrik blade.

How is that Elixir Red? Have you tried any of the others?

How is that Elixir Red? Have you tried any of the others?

I like it, maybe not enough to actually buy it again, but the smell is pleasant. The product lacks the "alcohol burn" which I prefer. As ASB goes, it performs quite well, and contains Witch Hazel which is always a good thing.

Your experience mirrors mine with the Russian Green blades. Smooth and comfortable shaves from those blades.

The Russian Greens are my current favorite. We will see if this changes with further testing. In addition to my blades I am using in sampling, I presently have a pretty good stock pile of Derby (around 50) I will work through prior to ordering my favorite blades in bulk.

Last edited:
Friday August 21st

2nd shave with Zorrik Super Stainless in the Gillette Slim Adjustable.

The Setup:

-Dove conditioner
-Omega 49 in Red

Decided to use the Slim @3 for most of the shave today. Very smooth, and very close just like yesterday. Did get two nicks on my lower lip, so clearly the Zorrik's are at most a two shave blade.

Dialed up to 4 for the touch ups, and could notice a definite difference in feel between 3, and 4. :eek:

I am totally in love with the Bay Rum scent, that stuff rocks!! :001_tt1:

Tomorrow starts the Zorrik blade in my Red Tip Superspeed; unless my Gem G Bar shows up, in which case I won't be able to resist taking it for a spin. :w00t::w00t:

Have a great weekend!

Saturday August 22nd

1st shave with Zorrik Super Stainless in the Red Tip Superspeed

The Setup:

-Dove conditioner
-Penworks Finest Badger

A nice close, comfortable shave, that was very smooth. Did get two small weepers on my lower neck, but overall a great shave.

As the Zorrik is only a two shave blade for me, tomorrow will be day two in the Red Tip Superspeed, and Monday will start out a new blade type.

:w00t::w00t:

Have a great weekend!

Last edited:
Sunday August 23rd

2nd shave with Zorrik Super Stainless in the Red Tip Superspeed

The Setup:

-Dove conditioner
-Penworks Finest Badger
-TOBS St. James

A nice close, comfortable shave, that was very smooth. Got about three weepers on my upper lip, further proving the Zorrik is at best a two shave blade for me.

There are far far better blades out there, so I won't be re-visiting these.

TOBS St. James just lathers like crazy, it rocks!! :biggrin1:

Tomorrow will be a "Lord Super Stainless" in the "Lord Merkur Tech".

I had tried this blade in past (with ho-hum results), but that was a five pack included with the Lord razor I had purchased. This one will be coming from a regular pack, that is individually wrapped, so the quality could be different. I hope.....:biggrin1:

Monday August 24th

1st shave with Lord Super Stainless in "Lord Merkur Tech"

The Setup:

-Dove conditioner
-Omega 49 in Red
-Susie's Bubbles Bay Rum

Results with the Lord Super Stainless were not favorable. Not the bloodbath of the previous attempt with these blades, but the blade is not smooth at all, and quite rough. :frown:

I see no point in doing further testing with these blades, so tomorrow will be the "Lord Merkur Tech" with a different blade. :thumbup1:

Tuesday August 25th

1st shave with Crystal in "Lord Merkur Tech"

The Setup:

-Dove conditioner
-Omega 49 in Red
-C.O. Bigelow/Proraso

Vice nice shave from the Crystal. At this point, I would rank this very near a Gillette Green/ Derby. I will look forward to many more shaves with this blade.

Not nearly as smooth as the Gillette Green, but a great shave nonetheless.

It's been about a week since I last used Proraso, and I had forgotten how much I love the menthol cooling feeling. It's awesome!! :thumbup1:

My Gem G Bar showed up yesterday, and it's a beauty. I may have to deviate from my blade sampling to give it a whirl. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom