What's new

Michiganlover's Blade Sampling

I will now summarize the results of my testing. Since having completed my round of testing with the Derby blades I have went full circle; having started out with Derby blades:

I have found that I can use many different blades comfortably, but Feathers allow me to achieve the closest results with the least amount of irritation.

I presently have the following for blade stock:

100 Feathers
100 Derbys
200 Red IPs

I may also order 100 Gillette Seven O'Clock Super Stainless, as I found them to be very smooth, and sharp in my testing.

I have found my quality of shaves to have increased drastically since the start of this testing, and no longer experience nicks/ cuts on every shave.

I have also found, that I should not be quick to write off any product, and that revisiting products a little down the road, can result in a vastly different outcome.

I had originally written off Merkur blades, Williams, Tabac, and Erasmic shaving cream as being un-usable by me.

Revisiting these products, I found the Merkur blades were usable, but not the best. I still can't get a good lather from Williams, and don't like the scent. And the Erasmic shaving cream has actually become one of my favorites.

I have yet to revisit Tabac: on the first go around, I found the smell to be very unpleasant, and nauseating. I may revisit it, when I work through my current overstock of products.

Thanks for joining me on this journey. :biggrin:

Happy Shaving,

~John~

Last edited:
Tried Witch Hazel for the first time today, and the smell is "unique" but not totally unpleasant.

~John~

I was using generic witch hazel when I started DE wet shaving and then I decided to buy a bottle of Thayer's Unalcoholized Witch Hazel, which is totally unscented. Smells, well, like water. I found the effects on my skin to be better than the generic witch hazel.

I then decided to try Thayer's Medicated Superhazel and this is tops. It really soothes the skin, and after letting it dry I do one last splash of cold water, pat the face with a towel and apply an ASB. I may sometimes pass the alum block in-between if I find it necessary.

Thanks for the description of your journey. It's been a good read. Now, you just need to go through your stock of blades, I guess you have enough in there for 3 years or more !

I just used my very first Derby blade this morning and it does perform differently from a Personna Platinum. I noticed the difference right away. The Derby seems to feel smoother on my face.

Of course I have a lot to learn and a long way to go...I'm just a shaving newbie...and I'm not sure if this could also be a sign of my preparation methods slowly improving. I try to follow "Kyle's prep" even when I feel rushed and anxious. --Bob

I just used my very first Derby blade this morning and it does perform differently from a Personna Platinum. I noticed the difference right away. The Derby seems to feel smoother on my face.

Of course I have a lot to learn and a long way to go...I'm just a shaving newbie...and I'm not sure if this could also be a sign of my preparation methods slowly improving. I try to follow "Kyle's prep" even when I feel rushed and anxious. --Bob

There are small differences in blade smoothness even among blades that are widely accepted as being top quality.

There are HUGE differences in blade smoothness among blades that are of poor quality. Poor quality blades will rip your face up, and pull, and skip the entire time. Not a pleasant experience at all!! :eek::eek:

Michiganlover, your contributions are great, your video on lather making really helped me out when I first put brush to cake about a month ago. Thanks again!

Top Bottom