What's new

metal hand warmer

Hey all, I've got an old metal hand warmer, the kind that takes lighter fluid, has a wick (but no real flame) and slips into a pouch (often, as in the one I have, red). I've never used it before, but was wondering if anyone knows how long the 'wick's usually last for? The one on it doesn't look to be used, but it's white and cloth (not the 'mesh' type ones). I ask because I don't know if I can buy any more that will fit this warmer, it's at least 40 years old I believe. Anyone have any experience with these? If the wick wears out (do they) can I just replace the 'cloth' or whatever material is used, and sort of DIY fashion? I love the look of these old metal hand warmers, but haven't tried it yet. Thanks!

I have a couple of these. Mine are WWII era. The 'whick' is asbestos on mine. I don't know how long the last. Never used one enough to wear it out. Pretty cool warmers, though.

That's all the useless info I have.

I used to have one of these when I was a kid. My Grandpa gave it to me. I don't have a clue what happened to it. I don't ever recall needing to replace anything except the lighter fluid. It was a great handwarmer, a couple of seconds and my hands were too warm!

Hey all, I've got an old metal hand warmer, the kind that takes lighter fluid, has a wick (but no real flame) and slips into a pouch (often, as in the one I have, red). I've never used it before, but was wondering if anyone knows how long the 'wick's usually last for? The one on it doesn't look to be used, but it's white and cloth (not the 'mesh' type ones). I ask because I don't know if I can buy any more that will fit this warmer, it's at least 40 years old I believe. Anyone have any experience with these? If the wick wears out (do they) can I just replace the 'cloth' or whatever material is used, and sort of DIY fashion? I love the look of these old metal hand warmers, but haven't tried it yet. Thanks!

Unless the wick becomes fouled or dirty, there's no need to replace it; though I've only ever seen the 'mesh' type of wick (that snaps over the batting used to absorb the lighter fluid); perhaps you could post a picture?

This brings back memories, and the strongest memory is of the smell of lighter fluid. Used one during winter camping in Boy Scouts.

Zippo appears to still make them according to this. Presumably they also make replacement wicks for them. That may work in case you need a replacement.

On a related note, those look pretty cool. I may pick one up for myself. Anyone tried the currently manufactured ones?

BLAST, one more cool old-school thing that I'm going to have to investigate and acquire. Now if only I can avoid becoming enthralled with the best of the best most expensive type of these.....

I have the original brand of one of those, called Jon-e. That brand has been around for decades and they are still being made; you can buy from either Cabela's or Amazon.com to name a couple of places. All other imitations that I've seen don't hold a candle to that brand. The Jon-e is a tank that has never needed the wick or heating element replaced.

Part of what makes the brand so great is that the wick, heating element and carrying bag can all be replaced. The Jon-e is a tank that has never needed the wick or heating element replaced. I think that what you are referring to as the wick is actually the heating element, which works by catalytic action. That's what makes it flame less. The Jon-e also has a wick beside the heating element. You light the wick (instead of the heating element directly, which causes failure on other brands that don't have wicks) and let it flame for a few minutes to get the heating element going. Then blow it out, pop the cover on, slide it into the bag and you're good to go for hours.

You definitely want to use the Jon-e brand of hand warmer fluid as well. That stuff is truly odorless, no naphtha smell like you get with lighter fluid.

I burned my ankles once with mine. I had it in the toe of my sleeping bag while on a winter camp out and the thing had slipped out of it's pouch. Knotting it inside a hunting sock solved that. Those things can cook!

Well, I don't have it with me at the moment, so I won't be able to post of picture of it (at least for a week or two). But I think the 'wick'- I should have said heating element, seems to be made out of the same material as the Jon-e. Here's a picture of one I found online, mines never been used so it's white and clean, but seems to be the same material. (I've only seen these types and also ones that looked to be metal/mesh).

Careful, these could very easily lead to a totally different kind of collection infection. Somebody mentioned Zippo and I will collect any interesting zippo lighter I see. I love whipping out a nice zippo lighter to light a cigar. Let the flame air out and the bad taste of lighter fluid is minimal. :001_smile
Ernest

proxy.php

I have the original brand of one of those, called Jon-e. That brand has been around for decades and they are still being made;

Thanks for the memory jog. When I googled it I saw the familiar red sack. But I don't think I was ever able to find their brand of fluid, thus my memory of the smell.

Well, I don't have it with me at the moment, so I won't be able to post of picture of it (at least for a week or two). But I think the 'wick'- I should have said heating element, seems to be made out of the same material as the Jon-e. Here's a picture of one I found online, mines never been used so it's white and clean, but seems to be the same material. (I've only seen these types and also ones that looked to be metal/mesh).

That heating element is very different from the one on my Jon-e. What I have is a red frame for the element and no patent number on it. The working part of it doesn't have any blackening or char marks on it, it's still clean!

The Jon-e brand fluid can be found in sporting goods places that deal with hunting, fishing, and camping gear. Or a military PX as well.

That heating element is very different from the one on my Jon-e. What I have is a red frame for the element and no patent number on it. The working part of it doesn't have any blackening or char marks on it, it's still clean!

Well, I'll give mine a go, and hopefully it doesn't char up as much as the ones in the photo. Mine's a little different from those, but the 'element' is the same sort of material/'fabric'. Is that material similar to the Jon-e?

Either way it sounds like the elements last for quite some time. I was worried they don't last very long and I'd have trouble replacing mine. I'm looking forward to trying it out next time I'm up at the cottage!

has anyone ever seen a pocket warmer that opens like a cigarette case and then holds a stick of fuel that you light with a match? What are those called and are they still made?

Ahhhhh:smile:

I've got one to, The oh-so purdy Peakock hand warmer:tongue_sm

Mine is pretty old and the asbestos burner was all but gone. Thankfully the replacement burners sold today fit every warmer they ever made.

Works a treat and it's so much better than the coal-fired one.

The burners don't actually burn,(then why call th...) so there shouldn't be any visible flame. Catalytic heating, platinum...!?!?
If Yours heat up, it should be fine:wink:

All the BEST!
:smile:M

I ordered my replacement here, http://www.peacockhandwarmers.co.uk/
They have some usefull info that should suit most brands.

Careful, these could very easily lead to a totally different kind of collection infection. Somebody mentioned Zippo and I will collect any interesting zippo lighter I see. I love whipping out a nice zippo lighter to light a cigar. Let the flame air out and the bad taste of lighter fluid is minimal. :001_smile
Ernest

proxy.php

Or you can get a torch insert to go in the Zippo case like this: http://www.elighters.com/zplus.html

That way you don't abuse your poor stogie... 8^)

has anyone ever seen a pocket warmer that opens like a cigarette case and then holds a stick of fuel that you light with a match? What are those called and are they still made?

I've only heard them called solid fuel hand warmers. Most likely they are still around.

Ok, so I was able to get/find it, so here are a few pictures of my handwarmer (the previous ones posted weren't mine, just similar ones):

Top Bottom