What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

Three for the kids, and one for me front & center...

$kids_thermometers.jpg

Whew! It's warm in here. (So why does it feel more like 68F?)

Award winning sauce and rub that is awesome, we always pick up a bottle or two when nearby.

Highly touted Canadian BBQ restaurant that we splurged on trying when camping but the food bit. It's kind of disappointing from a restaurant perspective, when you bite into everything and everyone at the table says "you BBQ waaaaay better then this, it's not even close".

At least I know my BBQ skills are up to at least this restaurants level.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1437949978075.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1437949978075.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 163
Sometimes I just can't help the acquisition disorder and I hate myself in the morning. This is not one of those times. I have been restraining myself from buying a 12.4" De Buyer Country pan, until I saw this. Might not be too much off the normal price considering the use, but I'm still happy with the pick.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-2-De-B...7TVxpFbYJRsVLBSLEulZ8%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

$$_57-2.jpg$$_57-3.jpg$$_57.jpg

Not telling the wife just yet as I don't wanna die before I get to use them, but since she likes my Lodge carbon steel, she should be pretty happy in the long run.

Here is the link to the knife

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/461305-My-first-high-end-knife

every time i use the knife new patina develops. Last go around looks like rust, but it was immediately after cutting some jalapenos. After each use of the knife, I usually do a light coating of camelia oil.

Murray makes great knives! The soft iron his blades are clad with is very reactive though, and rusts easily. My suggestion would be to let the blade patina in something like mustard, or pineapple, etc. Once it's black, clean off the mustard (or whatever you use), rub the oxides down with an oily rag, clean the blade of the oil, then patina it again. Rinse and repeat until the color is stable. After that you shouldn't have to oil it at all. Just clean and dry it thoroughly after each use. My knives here at home are all made of AISI W2. The stuff turns black as night and will rust if you don't care for it. I just let the patina develop over time, keep them clean, and have never had a problem with rust or damage.

The patina makes for great character too!

$20150323_141016.jpg

I blame Aaron for sending me the Frankiln Barbecue Meat Smoking Manifesto.

These were $10 each locally.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1438291472510.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1438291472510.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 123
^^^Nice Bruce. I'm now reading 3 different cookbooks. Chef Paul Purdhomme has a Louisiana cookbook that I want.
After reading the Franklin blurb on sausages, I'm now looking at a sausage book and finally cracked the box open to this.

I don't think I had posted it yet. There were some complaints about the handle falling off when cranking, but looks like they have improved or fixed that issue with a wingnut type screw that is in the handle rod, as you can see in this pic.

Vivo, 3L, metal gears.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1438307249023.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1438307249023.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
After reading the Franklin blurb on sausages, I'm now looking at a sausage book and finally cracked the box open to this.

I don't think I had posted it yet. There were some complaints about the handle falling off when cranking, but looks like they have improved or fixed that issue with a wingnut type screw that is in the handle rod, as you can see in this pic.

Vivo, 3L, metal gears.

:thumbup1:

Speaking of cast iron; I'm tempted by the 17-inch Lodge double loop handle pan.

I picked up a couple of serrated knives. I never got into my 8-inch Henckel bread knife, so I bought a Victorinox rosewood handled 10.25-incher for crust loaves and baguettes-but I expect it to come in handy quite a bit.

Secondly, I bought a 5-inch serrated Wusthof Grand Prix II utility knife. I needed something longer than my current tomato knife. This guy is seriously sharp and I think my wife will find a lot of uses for it. It's sized just right for her.

I wanted serrated knives with teeth--not half-moon style serrations--so I can sharpen it at home when the time comes.

$image.jpg

I've never cooked with a proper heat diffuser and always just use a water pan or cast iron pan. I've also never been able to bring myself to order a proper heat deflector from Vision as it is just a couple pieces of metal and a lava stone. The BGE and Kamado Joe ones are nice, but a bit of a risk as I don't know they'll fit my old Vision and they aren't cheap or available locally.

I hit up Home Depot and bought a couple pieces of 36" x 1" wide x 1/6" thickness. Grabbed an old vice and mallet and came up with this. Surprisingly enough, it sits level about 3" below grate level after a bit of tweaking and hammering and my lower rack sits on the ceramic fine with it installed.

Now I have to find my own 15-16" pizza stone (15" shown) as my wife will not want this one on the BBQ. I'm into it for $12 and 20 minutes. Pizza Stones run about $20 around here and seem to last us years in our oven at 450*, so should work low & slow at 225-325* over charcoal.

I hope to test it soon with some ribs.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1438727627029.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1438727627029.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 64
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1438727680789.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1438727680789.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 64
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1438727805380.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1438727805380.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 64
Last edited: