What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

One of my nieces is setting up home for the first time so I let her grab some stuff, giving me the opportunity to experiment & replace.

First replacement is a Volrath 12" carbon steel pan
$volrath.carbon.pan.jpg

Not sure I'm getting it seasoned right,though the picture is extremely exaggerated.
$volrath.carbon.pan.closeup.jpg

Aaron that sucks man with a capital S! I'm sorry to hear that, I was looking forward to seeing the new pit as well!

I do kinda dig that hole in the backyard idea, shouldn't cost much, you should do that while you are waiting for the next pit! :a30:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Ok guys....just couldn't stand to wait any longer. I went over to the local Academy and found out they had one pit on the floor and two in the back in storage. The one on the floor had some fit and finish problems so they let me look at the two in the back area. Bingo!!!! I called up a buddy who has a large truck. He came and got it for me and we unloaded it at the house. I couldn't be more happy....so far. I'm doing a burn-in right now and hoping for ribs and a pork butt this weekend.:001_smile

$IMG_1729[1].jpg$IMG_1730[1].jpg$IMG_1731[1].jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Thanks Chris. They were out of the 3" temperature gauges that screw into the main lid. None of the other two Academy's in Austin had them either. So I had to order one.

Minor details. You have a temperature reader to get going with don't you?
Trust you have a wood supply already.

Never seen anything like it, that company sure puts out some serious gear.

A beautiful piece Aaron[ i know you'll put it to good use!

dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Picked a few great knives from Dexter-Russell and a ceramic sharpener from Messermeister. The slicer cut a very smooth rib with no tearing at all. The boning knife was razor sharp right of the box and worked like a charm on trimming the ribs and pork butt.

$image.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Nice score Aaron. I need to replace my boning knife and will be going with the same style......assuming that's a 6".

The slicer is a 12" and the boning knife is a 6". I really like the curve on the blade for a better slicing function.

I love the slicer knife. I've been wondering which to buy and this may be the one.

I think it's the same slicer knife Aaron Frankin uses. He talked about it in one of his brisket video's. Both knives were very inexpensive and made in the US.

I bought mine from Amazon but here's their website:

http://www.dexterrussellknives.com/

NOS KitchenAid Ultra Power Mixer, found it all boxed up with attachments in a local pawn shop
$fixed5.jpg

The original grease has separated and leaked out a little, so I pointed this out and got the price down even lower and took it home:biggrin1:Stripped it down and removed the old oily grease and slapped some new grease in there, all good! Very pleased:001_smile

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
NOS KitchenAid Ultra Power Mixer, found it all boxed up with attachments in a local pawn shop
View attachment 637596

The original grease has separated and leaked out a little, so I pointed this out and got the price down even lower and took it home:biggrin1:Stripped it down and removed the old oily grease and slapped some new grease in there, all good! Very pleased:001_smile

Nice:thumbup1: Did it come with the meat grinder attachment?

Top Bottom