What's new

Merkur Slant Bar

I recently purchased a Merkur Slant Bar razor and thought I would post some preliminary thoughts/pics. At this point, I have only executed one shave with it so I will not be doing a true review, just some pics and initial observations.

Here's the culprit. As you can see, it is a fairly substantial, solidly made razor.
proxy.php

A side by side comparison to a regular HD. The handles are identical, but you can see how the slant's head is twisted.
proxy.php

Profile comparison
proxy.php

And finally, a close-up of the head.
proxy.php

When initially looking into the purchase of this razor, I had a difficult time finding any pics large enough that I could see the differences from the HD. I hope that this post helps convey those differences.

One gentleman who I questioned (owns a shaving goods shop & not a member here) told me that, "the slant bar was basically an adjustable that was fixed in place." This statement provides so many opportunities for vexation/rebuttal/rebuke/ that my head is spinning. It honestly made me want to poke him in the eye. He went on to say that the razor was a gimmick. I obviously don't share these views but wanted to post this as an example of not all information, even that from so-called experts, being of value.

I know I said I wasn't going to give any review-type feedback yet, but the first shave was really good. I can't wait until tomorrow morning! I hope to provide a full review of this item some time in the next couple of weeks.

Kyle, thanks for the pics and comparo. The slant bar is one of my favorite razors. It always gives me a close shave.

Kyle,

Thanks for the post. I have a Slant Bar. Shave #2 taught me why it is called "Satan's Razor". Still, I love it!

Randy

kyle, is the head on the slant bar razors also curved like the safety bar is? ive never seen a slant in person and ive wondered this for a while, from the first pic it seems so but tough to be sure. thanks

With The Grain said:
kyle, is the head on the slant bar razors also curved like the safety bar is? ive never seen a slant in person and ive wondered this for a while, from the first pic it seems so but tough to be sure. thanks

After finally seeing one in person, I think the best descriptive word is twisted, and the answer is yes, the entire head is this way. It's like someone grabbed the two ends of the head and torqued them in opposite directions.

kyle,

do they make the slant bar in a larger size?- i feel my technique is such that I am ready for it- but only if it's larger.

btw-sweet mini-review.

Marty

As far as I know, the only model available is the HD version. I have recently looked through the Dovo/Merkur catalog and saw no other variations. Perhaps another member could chime in if they know factually one way or the other.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I hate to resurrect this old thought, but since one side of the blade is more exposed than the other, wouldn't this razor be a particularly strong example of the argument for "flipping" the blade over after a few shaves?:confused:

ouch said:
I hate to resurrect this old thought, but since one side of the blade is more exposed than the other, wouldn't this razor be a particularly strong example of the argument for "flipping" the blade over after a few shaves?:confused:
Possibly. Until I get used to this razor, however, I'm going to err on the side of caution. I'll let someone else test a blade that could potentially be dulled.

Classic Shaving has/had some in stock but does not show them on their website. You have to call the order in. Also, I believe I read somewhere that Em's Place was either getting ready to carry them or would special order them on request.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Rik said:
Emily from Ems Place informed me she will begin listing it on her web site. It should be listed in the next couple of days.

It's already listed. Unless it's a mistake (same price as the chrome, unlike the upcharge for the gold HD), it seems like a bargain.

ouch said:
It's already listed. Unless it's a mistake (same price as the chrome, unlike the upcharge for the gold HD), it seems like a bargain.
Greetings,
The price was a typo while trying to post it quickly for us. The gold model is a few dollars more but still a real value! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom