What's new

Merkur Progress gold with white dial. Wow just had to have it.

Vintage Merkur progress Gold and white dial.
Anyone have an idea more or less when it was made? Iam guessing 70's 80's ?

Last edited:
I have that same razor, mine does not have the red paint in the numbers however.
I was told mine is from the 1970's

Ah OK Thanks Highball i was wondering if there is a way to link these Merkur age and Date. As i kid i used to walk into there stores in the city and Drool, i was like 15 doing Messenger work in Manhattan, and my boss would always asking me what took me so long, i would say traffic, and he would say what? Traffic? you walk, and i said i know the traffic in the street wont let me cross safely :eek:p it worked for a little while LOL.

well look how many others wanted it, and seems the highest bidders were $175.00, $264.13 Then Me $269.13 With a Total of 9-10 Different Bidders Anyways if i ever sell it, i will ask what i paid for it or more, Depending how the market is going, Razor market that is.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...26974&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1&_rdc=1

I won one recently in a different case. I have also been wondering the vintage.

Mine doesn't have the lines between the numbers, it does have all the red paint in the numbers. I can say by the pictures, the one you bought is in much better condition than the one I bought.

That being said, I am curious of the knob. I don't think it's plastic. Mine appears to be 'tusk' (not sure if it's ok to post the "I" word) and it is much different than a current progress knob when pulled out of the handle.

Also, mine had weird flecks of clear stuff in the case. I quickly realized that it's dried varnish or lacquer. It peeled off in sheets along the grooved handle. Be careful with yours.

Mine has finish wear on the top like an old Gold Gillette aristocrat. The gold looks awfully thin and fragile. It's worn from the edges in about a mm on both sides.

I haven't shaved with mine. I plan on removing the peeling clear coat and reapplying a fresh coat before using it.

90% of the reason I bought mine was for the case and the name. I have a mini Hoffritz collection going. I had not seen the gold version until the one I won popped up. VERY COOL!

Congratulations on scoring such a beautiful razor!!

I am not accusing but I have suspected that seller has some "friends", no offense.

I Believe in you get what you paid for, and this one looks Really Mint, and this seller does not have a problem with me sending it back if i'm not happy, he gives me Full Refund including shipping, what more can i ask for ?

And how many of these do you see on a Regular like a Flair Super Speed, or a Fatboy, I'm Really starting to like Hoffritz Razors, Although this is a Merkur. but i do have a few Hoffritz in my line of collection Now.

And if someone is Hiking the Auction it isn't very hard to tell, and if someone gets caught doing that, they can get sued, have there computer Confiscated, and all his Emails checked, i doubt it someone would be stupid to take such a big chance of going to jail and getting sued big time...

Top Bottom