What's new

Merkur- need help

okay so i have been used to use Gilette gel and Mach 3 until i found out about proraso. I switched to this routine:

1st
proxy.php

2nd
proxy.php

using a caldo italian shaving brush (badger hair)

i finish with the preshave cream again and then apply the Liquid After
Shave Cream

proxy.php

currently i have been using Gillette Sensor Excel razors. I want to switch to Merkur DE razors. I have been looking at the Classic and Progress. I was wondering what the difference between "Straight" and "Open" meant?

Also, does the Classic from Merkur have a pop off head, or screw on? I really dont want something flimsey...

http://www.amazon.com/s.html/002-3486366-0500024?ie=UTF8&me=ADUVTLOQLIAEE&brand=Merkur

Ok. Look closely at those pictures. Open stands for Open Comb, meaning that the edge has teeth like a comb to protect you from the blade. Straight means it has a solid bar (I don't think the term Straight is usually used like this, too confused with straight razors, another thing altogether).

I strongly advise getting the bar guard rather than open comb. Not that there is anything inherently wrong with comb guard razors, but there are very mixed reviews of the Merkur ones.

Also, Amazon is definitely NOT the cheapest place to get this. Actually, I am shocked by how much more expensive they are.... My advice is QED. But their website is hard to navigate, and ordering is not set up yet for some products, like the Merkur razors. On the left side up the page, scroll down till you see "More Fabulous Toiletry Products Available From QED" near the bottom of the menu bar. Click on that, and you will find prices for the Merkur razors. If you want one, email the owner, Charles ([email protected]), and he will take care of you. The best customer service you will EVER find. If you order here, get a tub or stick of his QEDman shave soap (listed on the same page, below the razors). Great stuff.

Another option is Classic Shaving. Easier website to deal with, and great service. I just like ordering from Charles.

Also, these have the most popular option, the Hefty Classic, or HD, which Amazon does not seem to carry. Same as the classic, but a thicker, heavier handle. Most people get either than, or the Long Handle Classic, depending on whether you like short and fat, or long and thin.

As to the other question, the Classics all have the same head, which is a screw on. VERY sturdy. I can speak about the Progress, but I have heard it is a very good razor, and very solid as well (although it does have a plastic knob, for some unknown reason).

Good luck. You will enjoy.

i think i'll go with the Long handle one. But two questions- 1) does it come with a stand and 2) will the Long version still fit into the leather case from Merkur sold seperately?

You can't go wrong with the LHC. That's the one I got too.

I cannot personally comment on the case. I see that the description on amazon says that it fits ALL Merkur razors. And from the look of it, it looks long enough. Actually, it looks like that might be a long handle it is photographed with. Anyway, if they say it fits all of them, I'd guess you are safe. I don't think the Futur is any shorter than the LHC, and the Vision is almost certainly longer.

Oh, and they do not come with a stand.

Thanks for the picture with the ruler. I think that the LHC will do great. I have posted another topic in the Brush section asking them about what a good beginner brush would be to go with the razor and Proraso products I use. Right now i have this:

Caldo Badger Brush from Target
proxy.php

but I was recommended this:

SR104
proxy.php

Thanks-:001_cool:

Not to hijack this thread but the Merkur Long Classic looks so good even next to all those other razors that cost much more. I'm so glad I got it and that I get to use it. What a difference getting a good razor makes.

yeah i agree- the LHC is a stunning razor to look at. I had one more question, while we're on the topic of my newbie-ness :wink:

If im using the proraso shaving dish and a brush, I wouldnt need to incorporate a seperate shaving mug/dish would i?:confused:

mpisarcik said:
If im using the proraso shaving dish and a brush, I wouldnt need to incorporate a seperate shaving mug/dish would i?:confused:

I'm not a soap guy but I think a shaving bowl is probably still a good idea, particularly for someone starting out. Making good lather is so key and you could have better control working it in a bowl than on your face. YMMV of course depending on your skill level. Me? I use creams and I'm still learning proper technique for creating great lather after 5 weeks.

mpisarcik said:
yeah i agree- the LHC is a stunning razor to look at. I had one more question, while we're on the topic of my newbie-ness :wink:

This is really an issue of personal choice. It can be argued that it is (somewhat) easier to build a lather in a bowl than on your face. On the otherhand, if you build a lather on your face you are (ideally) softening your beard more by lathering with a hot, wet brush longer.
I usually do either, especially with the Proraso ciotola verde.:001_rolle

Top Bottom