What's new

Merkur blades...

I can't believe how long I've ignored these blades because of posts here.

Been using the blades in my Merkur 34c for the past month and they are without a doubt, the best blade I've ever used. And I've tried em all.

Was a die-hard Astra SP fan for the past couple years.

Now I'm starting to understand why the Merkurs' are so expensive.

Maybe it's the Merkur shaver and blade combo, don't know.

I haven't used one in about 10 years and, while there are (several) blades I prefer, I never quite understood the hate they garner on the forums. For me they gave perfectly acceptable shaves with a minimum of irritation. If I recall correctly, I was using them in a Merkur Vision at the time, so maybe there is something to be said for the blade/razor combo.

I can't believe how long I've ignored these blades because of posts here.

Been using the blades in my Merkur 34c for the past month and they are without a doubt, the best blade I've ever used. And I've tried em all.

Was a die-hard Astra SP fan for the past couple years.

Now I'm starting to understand why the Merkurs' are so expensive.

Maybe it's the Merkur shaver and blade combo, don't know.

I have not re-tried them in at least a decade, but I was not a huge fan. Maybe I could give them another try, but I am pretty happy with Astra and Gillette Yellows.

I first tried them in a 23c about a month after I started DE shaving - hated them. Went back after 2 years and tried them in an Aristocrat Jr. - loved them. Better razor, better technique. I still won't buy any more, but that's just based on price - too many equally good or better blades out there for less.

I used to like them in my 34G, but the last two years I've used only Astra SP and IP Red blades. Tough to justify spending $.50 on a Merkur blade when a $.10 blade is just as good.

The first time I used a Merkur blade I loved it. The second time it was mediocre. By the time the second try came around I had tried all the popular blades and had a better idea about comfort and performance. I felt the Merkur blade fit into the typical German blade category. The first pass was tuggy and lots of pulling. Second pass was acceptable. The high price bumped the Merkur out of consideration. I really tried to like them. I even bought 20pcs.

MM879

There is a tremendous disparity of opinion on blades. Astras AP get a lot of love here - but not from me. For me, they lack sharpness and smoothness. I tried Merkur blades in the past and they worked fine for me - but were expensive.

I used to like them in my 34G, but the last two years I've used only Astra SP and IP Red blades. Tough to justify spending $.50 on a Merkur blade when a $.10 blade is just as good.

What he said.

I was fine with the blades and even pick up another pack in a sampler. In the long run I couldn’t justify the cost of the Merkur blades with so many other great blades out there. Maybe time to revisit them though. Dedicated 34C fan.

I've come to believe that there just aren't that much difference between most blades. Each brand will require a slightly different angle perhaps, but by and large, with my small sample, they just don't vary all that much except for longevity. Stainless blades don't last as long for me (so far) as platinum coated blades.

Give me a few more years and I may change my mind some, but at the moment I can get good shaves with all of them, some just last much longer.

I'm not a fan of Merkurs or Astras - but who cares? They work for you, and you're happy. Enjoy your excellent shaves, Steve.

I didn't like the merkur blades the first time I tried them, and surprisingly in my 34c, but it was very early in my DE days, so I'm sure a lot of it had to do with technique (both in using the razor and building a proper lather).

I recently used one in my rockwell 6c and I found it to be quite good. I still prefer GSB or nacets in my 6c, so I definitely won't be buying any more, but it's mostly due to cost, not performance (as many others have also pointed out). I'll happily use up the tuck that I have though.

I'll give it a try in my 34c once more, just to see if my technique makes that much of a difference, or if it's the razor (I have found that I like different blades depending on the razor, but I find a larger variety work for me in the 6c). Though I'm sure technique is a bigger variable in this case.

Glad Merkurs work well for you!! :a14::a14:

For me they are solid, mid-tier blades. Average. Blades are the most YMMV aspect of DE as far as I can tell.

I have tried the Merkur blades in a 39c and a Mergress and had great shaves from both razors. Smooth, efficient shaves without any tugging, weepers or nicks. If the blades weren't so expensive, I would use them more.

I've used Merkur and Mulhe blades, I had no issue with them, they were smooth and sharp enough and remained good for me over 7 shaves. Pricewise they're insanely expensive!!!!

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
They are too pricey, at least the last time I've checked. Not worth the price. If you want some German blades, Timor or Bolzano are way better.

Top Bottom