What's new

Merkur 34C

I have been using straights for about 10 years, mostly out of nostalgia. I enjoy the honing, stropping etc as it is peaceful. Now, when I want a BBS shave, I use my DE Merkur!! So nice, clean close shave with zero effort. I do 3 passes, use an alum bar, then alcohol free witch-hazel, followed by an aftershave balm. My only trick, and don't laugh...….I don't use preshave oil, but I use Crisco vegetable oil!!!! I know, I am now laughing myself. I am too cheap to pay $36 /oz. for "preshave oil.". There, I said it and it works like a charm.

I used olive oil once just for giggles. I had a fantastic shave. Cleaning up the mess was a chore afterwards but can't complain about the end result.

Grapeseed oil is inexpensive and works ok too.
I could see myself getting carried away with the Crisco and... well I think I’ll leave it at that.

Sometimes I hope to god people know I’m joking when I say such things.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.......,

I have been using straights for about 10 years, mostly out of nostalgia. I enjoy the honing, stropping etc as it is peaceful. Now, when I want a BBS shave, I use my DE Merkur!! So nice, clean close shave with zero effort. I do 3 passes, use an alum bar, then alcohol free witch-hazel, followed by an aftershave balm. My only trick, and don't laugh...….I don't use preshave oil, but I use Crisco vegetable oil!!!! I know, I am now laughing myself. I am too cheap to pay $36 /oz. for "preshave oil.". There, I said it and it works like a charm.

Mobile 1 anyone !

An oil thread! (sort of)

I've been shaving exclusively with oil for a month. Gotta say the results for me have been identical to the creams, but with less fuss and mess, and I can really see what I'm doing - since the oil is transparent I can precision-trim around my goatee w no problem. No need for alum, after shave, etc., afterwards - my skin is conditioned and ready to go, though I do like to add a little balm to complement things. Here's my kit for the month, haven't used anything else before, during, or after the shave.

razors.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom