What's new

Merica vs Overlander vs Masamunue for the best cut/nick/irritation-free, yet efficient, shave?

I find it hard to directly compare the 'Merica and the Winning, they are very, very different tools. The 'Merica is a very well made razor based on the standard safety razor design. On the other hand, the Winning is not the normal DE razor, has only one angle to shave at, and is a completely different experience. Both are very well made and very high quality for the cost. Yes, the Winning would be more mild/safe than the 'Merica.

I haven't used the Yates.

Wow, going through this thread got me dizzy. I have to say, I am extremely impressed with the help and input from all the super B & B members. Do we have any closure or update from 100pctFragranceFree? Hey hope you are getting close to your quest. I have a totally different answer and approach but sometimes the best thing is talk all this great info and have a plan (A, B..) to try but enjoy the journey, make it fun! One thing I have learned, it not all about the razor. Be open minded, patient & once you package it all up, you will see results... Best..BFX.,,,

Wow, going through this thread got me dizzy. I have to say, I am extremely impressed with the help and input from all the super B & B members. Do we have any closure or update from 100pctFragranceFree? Hey hope you are getting close to your quest. I have a totally different answer and approach but sometimes the best thing is talk all this great info and have a plan (A, B..) to try but enjoy the journey, make it fun! One thing I have learned, it not all about the razor. Be open minded, patient & once you package it all up, you will see results... Best..BFX.,,,
Hey hope you are getting close to your quest.
I'm thinking the Merica's the best for the money. The Overlander is the safest bet. The Masamune has a nearly occult draw for me. IOW not really. :)

The obvious answer is to get them all! This community is good at enabling its members. ;)

You're right, the 'Merica is a great value, it may also be the one most likely to cease production. The Overlander is on my list and will likely enter the den at some point.
Yeah, after discontinuing the Winning you do have to kind of wonder how long the Merica will be around.

Yeah, it is a nice razor, I enjoy it too. A little too heavy and the large head is a bit challenging to get under my nose, but I like the Winning.

I believe Yates said he was sad they discontinued it and he had something in mind for a successor. I'm interested to see if that comes to reality.

Yeah, it is a nice razor, I enjoy it too. A little too heavy and the large head is a bit challenging to get under my nose, but I like the Winning.

I believe Yates said he was sad they discontinued it and he had something in mind for a successor. I'm interested to see if that comes to reality.
Regarding the head size: Not a problem, just go sideways :)

It is still a problem for me. The head is enormous and the blade edge is too far from the side of the razor. It is more challenging to get under my nose than many of my razors.

The design could be improved by making the blade edge closer and the head not so chunky. That's why I think the Hensons are a better razor. I still likely my Winning, don't get me wrong, but the Henson edges it out by a nose. ;)

Last edited:
Interesting...The Winning gets my "under nose" stubble if I use it horizontally. For me, the Winning is much better than the Henson. But use what you like and what works for you :)

Now that I have both the (now discontinued) Winning and 'Merica razors from Wet Shaving Club (WSC), I would say they are both great razors but a different. They are both fully stainless steel razors.

The Winning:
  • "Automatic" shave angle built into the shape of the head
  • Smoother handle (but still "grippy")
  • Slightly larger head
  • Lather holes rather than slots
  • Unobtainium (discontinued)
The 'Merica:
  • More "traditional" head shape (but still easy to find the shave angle)
  • More knurled handle
  • Slightly smaller head
  • Lather slots rather than holes
  • Currently in production
I feel like the Winning was a little bit more beginner-friendly due to the basically "automatic" angle built into the shape of the head. Those who are accustomed to using DE razors may prefer the 'Merica.

In my opinion the 'Merica is a great value for an all stainless steel razor.

Now that I have both the (now discontinued) Winning and 'Merica razors from Wet Shaving Club (WSC), I would say they are both great razors but a different. They are both fully stainless steel razors.

The Winning:
  • "Automatic" shave angle built into the shape of the head
  • Smoother handle (but still "grippy")
  • Slightly larger head
  • Lather holes rather than slots
  • Unobtainium (discontinued)
The 'Merica:
  • More "traditional" head shape (but still easy to find the shave angle)
  • More knurled handle
  • Slightly smaller head
  • Lather slots rather than holes
  • Currently in production
I feel like the Winning was a little bit more beginner-friendly due to the basically "automatic" angle built into the shape of the head. Those who are accustomed to using DE razors may prefer the 'Merica.

In my opinion the 'Merica is a great value for an all stainless steel razor.
Nice comparison, Stew. Thanks.

Top Bottom