What's new

Merica vs Overlander vs Masamunue for the best cut/nick/irritation-free, yet efficient, shave?

I also own the Henson. The Masamune shaves NOTHING like the Henson mild. Much bigger gap, much bigger range of angles for the Masamune. The Henson has a fixed shaving angle and near zero gap.
Good. Thank you. You just put the Masamune back on my radar. But to follow up: the Masaumne is nearly as cut/nick/irritation-free as the Henson and its ilk (Winning, etc)?

It's not the first time that I see folks arguing whatever this or that razor works better with steep or a shallow angle. I remember some folks saying that the Blackbird is a steep angle razor, but I find it almost impossible to use mine that way. Same goes for the Fatip Grande/Piccolo - most will say that a shallow angle works best, but somehow some people can use it with steep angle without a problem.

My advice is to take advices only from people, who share similar views on other razors, soaps, brushes, blades or whatever. Taking for granted what everyone says can be very confusing at times and especially when 3 or more peope give you different opinions about something.
My advice is to take advices only from people, who share similar views on other razors, soaps, brushes, blades or whatever.
^ But won't that lead to confirmation bias?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Yeah, there’s a lot to be said for these mild-but-efficient razors. I find I use that type more and more these days, and save the beasts for occasional use. Milder razors used to frustrate me but starting with the Claymore Evo I’ve found a number now that are satisfyingly efficient, and it’s a happy balance for me.

Great that you’re getting along with the Blutt. The 1.20 plate will tell you whether high efficiency razors are for you. If the Blutt 1.20 isn’t comfortable then others will be worse. I will be very interested too, when you have used the Overlander a bit, to hear how you think the Blutt 0.86 compares. I’m still wondering if I should get that Blutt plate or if the Overlander makes it redundant.
I'm interested too. Since I bought mine used.... the added cost of the 24K hardened gold replate makes the final cost not too far off from just the Blutt .86 bottom plate. I needed to change the look of the Overlander for me to enjoy it. I hate to admit it about myself but aesthetics matter to me more than they should.

I had great shaves with my British Flat Bottom Tech but I have to say... even only after one shave, the Blutt BR-1 with the .86 bottom plate is equally good and perhaps, a bit smoother.

^ But won't that lead to confirmation bias?

Well, as you probably already know, we are all different and my shaving experience will not be the same as yours, so asking finding folks with similar experiences, interests and preference helps a lot.

I'm not saying that absolutely everything that works for them it will work for you, but the chances are much higher and once you get a better understanding of what works for you and what not and you observe what people like or dislike, you will start to see a pattern and focusing your attention to such individuals would be a much better option than taking an advice from someone you just met. At least that's what I do and it does help me, but as always - YMMV, so take that with a grain of salt as well.

Well, as you probably already know, we are all different and my shaving experience will not be the same as yours, so asking finding folks with similar experiences, interests and preference helps a lot.

I'm not saying that absolutely everything that works for them it will work for you, but the chances are much higher and once you get a better understanding of what works for you and what not and you observe what people like or dislike, you will start to see a pattern and focusing your attention to such individuals would be a much better option than taking an advice from someone you just met. At least that's what I do and it does help me, but as always - YMMV, so take that with a grain of salt as well.
Makes sense. Good explanation.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

I have found your suggestions to be of great benefit. When I was doing my brush purchases, I found a couple people who liked the same face feel that I did. That cut way down on mistakes and I like all the brushes I purchased based on what they liked.

I'm finding the same thing with DE razors. You find a couple people who like similar razors you'd found to be enjoyable. Again, it cuts down on purchases you end up disliking. Is it a guarantee? Of course not, but it increases the odds you'll love shaving with the razors you add to your collection.

I started with the Claymore Evolution... an AC single edge razor. I based my current venture into DE shaving in part on the choices people who own the Claymore Evo and like it for the same reasons I do make, i.e., the DE razors they have tried and like.

My vintage razors have been ones held in high regard by several people here. So far, so good. ;)

I tried the Henson AL13. The Yates 921-M. Both shaved well on the cheeks and neck and splotchy on the upper lip and chin. So I'm still looking for that safe yet efficient razor. (I know it's out there!) I'm considering the Merica, Overlander, and Masamune, but I'm concerned that they're all going to be too much like the AL13 and 921-M. Any suggestions as to whether any of those might fit the safe yet efficient bill? Or can you suggest something else?
Have you tried the Winning razor? I think it may do what you’re asking for

Have you tried the Winning razor? I think it may do what you’re asking for
Yes, in fact, you tried to buy the Winning from me when I sold it on BST, but it got sold just before you. It wasn't great at first. It grew on me. It shaved close on the smooth areas but patchy on the chin. Ultimately, it felt like shaving with a heavy disposable. I struggled with the fixed angle.

I do find some folks here that like similar razors and that resonates with me. That said, once you add blades, that makes for more variables. There are some folks that like the same razors as me, but also like blades that make that razor completely unusable to me. So it is one factor, but just one.

I really like many of the razors mentioned in this thread, but not any of them would be even close to acceptable with one pass WTG for me. All of them need three-passes with at least one ATG to really shine. This is just for me, with my particular face/whiskers.

If you shave daily like myself, I would recommend the following razors in the order listed:
In your ordering is the best razor on the top or bottom? I have now tried the masamune twice (and your posts have influenced me on this). Previously the Henson mild was my favorite razor based on performance as a daily shaver but l always find it to be slightl6 uncomfortable. In my first attempt with the masamune, I found it to be far too mild. After a year or so my technique in both lather and razor improved and the masamune is by far my favorite.

My other top razors were the Sabre, Tech, CG LVL 2 Gen 3, timeless .68, Lupo, ikon deluxe. Blackbird and Vector did not get along with me. I have not tried the Overlander or even heard of the Merica, but will check the specs.

FYI - Merica is up for sale on BST

I agree with another poster .. I was able to get more out of mild razors as I used them more and generally my technique improved. Sticking with one razor is hard with all the choices. Merica is a good shaver I just don’t love the handle - a bit too short.

Last edited:
Good. Thank you. You just put the Masamune back on my radar. But to follow up: the Masaumne is nearly as cut/nick/irritation-free as the Henson and its ilk (Winning, etc)?
Masamune is by my technique more irritation free than Henson. I can get many irritation free shaves from the Henson but irritation from the Masamune is rare indeed.

To echo another poster I highly recommend a tech. At the price it is a no brainer. Even the top models are a fraction of the price.

In your ordering is the best razor on the top or bottom? I have now tried the masamune twice (and your posts have influenced me on this). Previously the Henson mild was my favorite razor based on performance as a daily shaver but l always find it to be slightl6 uncomfortable. In my first attempt with the masamune, I found it to be far too mild. After a year or so my technique in both lather and razor improved and the masamune is by far my favorite.

My other top razors were the Sabre, Tech, CG LVL 2 Gen 3, timeless .68, Lupo, ikon deluxe. Blackbird and Vector did not get along with me. I have not tried the Overlander or even heard of the Merica, but will check the specs.
That's good to know. Thank you. It seems for some the Masamune is a super special razor. Interesting that it took a while for your technique to catch up so as to appreciate it.

FYI - Merica is up for sale on BST

I agree with another poster .. I was able to get more out of mild razors as I used them more and generally my technique improved. Sticking with one razor is hard with all the choices. Merica is a good shaver I just don’t love the handle - a bit too short.
I think that's (impatience) why I probably bailed on the Henson Mild and Winning Razor so quickly.

Masamune is beautifully designed and extremely well made. It delivers a very mild and irritation free shave in my experience. Not very efficient but adequately so if you are not chasing bbs. I get a very safe and comfortable dfs in 2 or sometimes 3 passes. I regret not getting the Nodachi top cap, I wish it was just a little bit more efficient.

Yes, in fact, you tried to buy the Winning from me when I sold it on BST, but it got sold just before you. It wasn't great at first. It grew on me. It shaved close on the smooth areas but patchy on the chin. Ultimately, it felt like shaving with a heavy disposable. I struggled with the fixed angle.
The Winning does have a fairly "fixed" shave angle (by design), which may or may not be intuitive for you. For me it has a very intuitive steep angle that provides surprising efficiency despite being pretty mild.

The Winning is the only razor I have tried that meets both of your criteria: Both mild and efficient. In my admittedly limited experience I generally need a more aggressive razor to get the efficiency I need.

Top Bottom