What's new

Merica vs Overlander vs Masamunue for the best cut/nick/irritation-free, yet efficient, shave?

I tried the Henson AL13. The Yates 921-M. Both shaved well on the cheeks and neck and splotchy on the upper lip and chin. So I'm still looking for that safe yet efficient razor. (I know it's out there!) I'm considering the Merica, Overlander, and Masamune, but I'm concerned that they're all going to be too much like the AL13 and 921-M. Any suggestions as to whether any of those might fit the safe yet efficient bill? Or can you suggest something else?

What's your angle preference? I'm asking, because from what I've heard, the Overlander favors steep while the Merica and the Masamune are more shallow shavers. I have an Overlander on it's way and I haven't tried the others, but that's what I was told by a lot of folks who own all 3.

Disclaimer: I don't have an Overlander (have a Christopher Bradley), I've had Henson AL13 mild and medium (sold them), I've had a Yates 921 M and H (traded it for the Masamune). I never had a 'Merica.

I found the regular Masamune quite mild and traded the top cap for a Nodachi top cap. I like that combination much better, I rate it close to my Blackbird in overall performance. BUT I think the regular Masamune might be what you're looking for. Perhaps @wormspank would tell you his opinion of going from Masamune with Nodachi top cap to Masamune with Masamune top cap.

You should be aware that Tatara has announced a 15% price increase on October 1 if buying direct from them in Portugal.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Hmm, the thing is, the Henson AL13 normal and medium and the Yates 921-M are already very mild. And safe.

So I would rather suggest a new SOAP/LATHER approach and trying to get practice with either razor you already have.
You can also try a Gillette or Nivea shaving GEL, not a foam. They are very protective. I would argue more so than most soaps.

The other thing is, you might try the other end of the scale and do one-two pass shaves with a very aggressive razor.
No kidding, shaving with a R41 gives you immediate brutal feedback on technique and you will find most razors forgiving and mild afterwards.

The Blackbird SB (not OC) might be just your thing, my gut feeling. You could also try a Rockwell 6C/S, but that's like resorting to magic and homoepathics, absolutely the last resort in my book. But it might work! :001_cool:

In any case, good luck. You are IMO quite doomed to trial and error till you find the right razor. But maybe give existing razors some more time till you adapt to them, rather than the other way around.

Edit: I use the Masamune Nodachi, but the Masamune has indeed been praised among fans of milder razors, so Big_T might be onto something there for you.
Edit 2: Tatara is raising prices beginning October!

G

Guest2023

All of them you mentioned are great razors. They are safe and efficient. but the best among them for me was Overlander

because it is a bit more efficient than the other two.

There are lots of good razors that might fit your need but I will just add 2 which won't cost your arms and legs.

I guess PAA Meta-4 is in the same ballpark with Overlander in terms of efficiency and smoothness.

and I want to add ATT Windsor SSR1 on the list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Own the Merica, have owned the Overlander and Yates (M).

My take: Merica shaves almost identically to the Yates, just a bit milder, and used best with a neutral angle. If you didn't like the Yates you won't like the Merica.

Overlander: contrary to what some others say, it only shaves with a neutral angle, in my experience. It doesn't have enough blade exposure for shaving anything but neutral. When people say steep, I think they compare it to the CB razors, which reportedly shave shallow. Out of the three, it's by far the least efficient one. I only do one pass shaves WTG, and the Overlander failed miserably, which I documented here. I ended up returning it. Very disappointing.

What's your angle preference? I'm asking, because from what I've heard, the Overlander favors steep while the Merica and the Masamune are more shallow shavers. I have an Overlander on it's way and I haven't tried the others, but that's what I was told by a lot of folks who own all 3.
Yeah, I've heard that too. I favor steep. I'm not so convinced, though, especially looking at the razor heads blown up, that the Overlander favors steep shaving over the other two. Perhaps minimally. Nothing more.

Disclaimer: I don't have an Overlander (have a Christopher Bradley), I've had Henson AL13 mild and medium (sold them), I've had a Yates 921 M and H (traded it for the Masamune). I never had a 'Merica.

I found the regular Masamune quite mild and traded the top cap for a Nodachi top cap. I like that combination much better, I rate it close to my Blackbird in overall performance. BUT I think the regular Masamune might be what you're looking for. Perhaps @wormspank would tell you his opinion of going from Masamune with Nodachi top cap to Masamune with Masamune top cap.

You should be aware that Tatara has announced a 15% price increase on October 1 if buying direct from them in Portugal.
Thanks for the feedback. From what I know of the Henson AL13, which I had, and the Masamune, they are very similar. Both with the fixed angle. Was that not your experience as well? And perhaps you could elaborate on the Masamune being "quite mild," especially in light of me being interested in cut/nick/irritation-free shavers.

Hmm, the thing is, the Henson AL13 normal and medium and the Yates 921-M are already very mild. And safe.

So I would rather suggest a new SOAP/LATHER approach and trying to get practice with either razor you already have.
You can also try a Gillette or Nivea shaving GEL, not a foam. They are very protective. I would argue more so than most soaps.

The other thing is, you might try the other end of the scale and do one-two pass shaves with a very aggressive razor.
No kidding, shaving with a R41 gives you immediate brutal feedback on technique and you will find most razors forgiving and mild afterwards.

The Blackbird SB (not OC) might be just your thing, my gut feeling. You could also try a Rockwell 6C/S, but that's like resorting to magic and homoepathics, absolutely the last resort in my book. But it might work! :001_cool:

In any case, good luck. You are IMO quite doomed to trial and error till you find the right razor. But maybe give existing razors some more time till you adapt to them, rather than the other way around.

Edit: I use the Masamune Nodachi, but the Masamune has indeed been praised among fans of milder razors, so Big_T might be onto something there for you.
Edit 2: Tatara is raising prices beginning October!
Thanks.

^ Got a styptic pencil you can lend me?
^Agreed but I got a few nicks and some irritation because I had to buff so much with the AL13 Mild.

I hear you about working on prep and technique. That's good advice.

All of them you mentioned are great razors. They are safe and efficient. but the best among them for me was Overlander

because it is a bit more efficient than the other two.

There are lots of good razors that might fit your need but I will just add 2 which won't cost your arms and legs.

I guess PAA Meta-4 is in the same ballpark with Overlander in terms of efficiency and smoothness.

and I want to add ATT Windsor SSR1 on the list.
I've been hearing more and more about the PAA Meta-4, which for whatever reason, was not on my radar. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for the feedback. From what I know of the Henson AL13, which I had, and the Masamune, they are very similar. Both with the fixed angle. Was that not your experience as well? And perhaps you could elaborate on the Masamune being "quite mild," especially in light of me being interested in cut/nick/irritation-free shavers.

I'd say the standard Masamune has more effective range than a Henson mild. By quite mild I mean it will get me BBS but not without what I consider excessive buffing. But with the standard Masamune that excessive buffing did not lead to excessive skin irritation like it will with some razors. Minor irritation yes, but not what I would expect given the amount of buffing. Hope that makes sense.

Because I didn't like all the buffing I swapped to the Nodachi top cap and to give it a number reference, the Masamune aggressiveness increased by 1 point while the efficiency increased by 2 or 3 points.

Own the Merica, have owned the Overlander and Yates (M).

My take: Merica shaves almost identically to the Yates, just a bit milder, and used best with a neutral angle. If you didn't like the Yates you won't like the Merica.

Overlander: contrary to what some others say, it only shaves with a neutral angle, in my experience. It doesn't have enough blade exposure for shaving anything but neutral. When people say steep, I think they compare it to the CB razors, which reportedly shave shallow. Out of the three, it's by far the least efficient one. I only do one pass shaves WTG, and the Overlander failed miserably, which I documented here. I ended up returning it. Very disappointing.
I, too, am a one-pass WTG shaver. My face gets killed otherwise, and I don't have the time or patience for multiple passes. For me, the 921-M was better than the Henson AL13 Mild. It shaved super close, perhaps too close to be that cut/nick/irritation razor I'm, probably foolishly, searching for. I've read the the Merica is much safer than the 921-M. Would you agree?

I'd say the standard Masamune has more effective range than a Henson mild. By quite mild I mean it will get me BBS but not without what I consider excessive buffing. But with the standard Masamune that excessive buffing did not lead to excessive skin irritation like it will with some razors. Minor irritation yes, but not what I would expect given the amount of buffing. Hope that makes sense.

Because I didn't like all the buffing I swapped to the Nodachi top cap and to give it a number reference, the Masamune aggressiveness increased by 1 point while the efficiency increased by 2 or 3 points.
Great explanation. Thanks. That makes the Masamune base plate and the Nodachi top cap sound like a no-brainer.

I, too, am a one-pass WTG shaver. My face gets killed otherwise, and I don't have the time or patience for multiple passes. For me, the 921-M was better than the Henson AL13 Mild. It shaved super close, perhaps too close to be that cut/nick/irritation razor I'm, probably foolishly, searching for. I've read the the Merica is much safer than the 921-M. Would you agree?

For a smooth, clean one-pass WTG shave, I suggest the Blackbird SB. Comes with a 30-day return, how can you go wrong?

I get my best results for my WTG pass when I forget to tighten the handle after I’ve left the razor loose to dry. Pretty much all razors are extremely efficient that way. Otherwise I would agree a relatively high efficiency razor ought to be the best bet if you want to shave that way.

The Karve Overlander really shines shaving against the grain. It is incredibly gentle and efficient then. I think those of you who can’t normally shave comfortably against the grain should try it again with the Overlander if you can. It might well work for you.

That was also my impression of the Yates M: it's at the upper end of the efficiency I would like. It's that good despite the modest specs.

Not sure I would say MUCH safer, but it's definitely a milder, and safer too.

Forget about the Overlander if you only do one pass WTG, it doesn't work for that.

That was also my impression of the Yates M: it's at the upper end of the efficiency I would like. It's that good despite the modest specs.

Not sure I would say MUCH safer, but it's definitely a milder, and safer too.

Forget about the Overlander if you only do one pass WTG, it doesn't work for that.
Thanks. I think maybe I'm hoping the Merica would hit some magical spot in between the AL13 Mild and the 921-M. Then another part of me thinks it's just really the same fixed angle razor as the others.

If you want a very close, one-pass WTG, I don't think any of these razors are for you. I have several of the razors mentioned here and I do a traditional 3-pass shave. I think you need an ATG pass with all of these to really get close. Although if you are looking for comfort and safety, and willing to accept a socially acceptable shave, they can do that. If you want a close one-pass WTG shave, I think you may have to look for something more aggressive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom