What's new

Men R Pigs

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
SWMBO does the weekly thing of laundry, sweeping the floor, vacuuming, dusting, etc.

But sometimes, when I'm at my other house out of state by myself, I don't make the bed for several days. I mean why? No one else is there.

I do clean dishes and pots and pans after I cook and eat, but I don't sweep the floor unless it looks dirty. I don't vacuum but only once every two weeks or so. I do laundry when I need clean clothes and towels, and sometimes I don't clean the grease off the stove after I've cooked bacon until the next day.

How sloppy are you?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I'm about the same. Just shut the bedroom door and forget about it. LOTH does all the house work here. I don't do it good enough. I used to vacuum once a week, wash the floors maybe every 2 weeks. I never dusted though as the dust only comes back. My problem is clutter (hoarding), I need to clean rooms out.

I am usually pretty neat. However, I have never understood the point of making the bed. I am just going to crawl back in it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Making the bed is everything

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Making the bed makes it more comfortable for the critters that live there like mites. The best thing to do is pull the covers back and make sure the sun hits it part of the day.
I keep the kitchen clean. I hate a messy kitchen. I am more of a clutterer.

I make the bed daily, pulling all the bedding down before making it so the most air can get in between the sheets. My wife is the one who leaves her bowls out for me to pick up and would leave the bed unmade all week long. We're kind of the opposite of "traditional" couples in that regard. She also makes about 2.5 times more money than I.

I always make the bed, first thing i do after falling out of bed before stumbling to the bathroom for my shower & shave, unless... it's Sunday the day i wash the bedding, i'll strip it after the shower & shave then go put the laundry on. My wife puts the bed back together again some time later in the day.

dave

When I moved out, I was borderline OCD when it came to neatness, and everything being arranged just so. My fiancé broke me of those habits when we moved in together and since our marriage. If she ever screws up the nerve to complain about slovenliness, I will simply hold up my shave mirror.

Oh, I am pretty neat. Bed is made daily. Pots do not sit. Dust? Windows? Clean under the fridge? Um, my old drill instructor would have me doing pushups until next Friday.

I'm hardly neat, but made my bed daily from early on, and either my wife or I do now. Although my father insisted we make the beds, (and was where I learned to make hospital corners), it turned out to make for more comfortable sleeping. In my lazy teens, I left the sides tucked in and slid into it like a sleeping bag.

I don't let dishes sit for a practical reason: Clean dishes don't attract insects. When by myself, I'll just eat out of the pot, as it saves on cleaning.

I live alone, and I never really make my bed except when I put on clean sheets. Oh, some days I pull the duvet up, and it then looks made.

I Swiffer-jet my floors and keep on top of the dishes, which is easy with a dishwasher.

Once a year, I call on back-up troops, The Maids, to do a complete deep-down clean.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Being too obsessed with order and cleanliness can be a bad thing ...

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I know that we have a dishwasher, washer and dryer because I paid for them. I'm vaguely aware of their respective locations in our house.

Yes, I can identify with the title of this post and my wife is just short of being a saint.

Okay, as after 22 years military, active and National Guard, I just don't get the obsession with making the bed. I don't leave dirty dishes, clothes on the floor, messes on the counter, etc. Last night I cleaned the kitchen, bathroom, and the master bedroom, but didn't do a thing to make the bed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

SWMBO does the dishes the majority of the time, but when I do them I go all out, inspecting each item by look and feel before it goes onto the rack, never let go of blades underwater, scrub down the stovetop and the wall next to the stove, take a brush to the sinktop around the faucet, clean out the Keurig drip catcher, and do a number on the stainless steel teakettle (which often catches splatters from frying).

As far as making the bed goes, I'm the one that makes sure that all layers are more or less centred and head-end edges aligned.

We like to think of our house as a nest for us, rather than a venue for entertaining strangers. The art work on the wall distracts from whatever might be on the floor.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I live in my house, it’s not a museum. Making my bed every morning? Not a chance. Never have. No guests are in my room, no one sees it but me. Throw the covers off and go. The dishes are loaded in the dishwasher as they are dirty and ran when it’s full. I have one MAYBE two loads of laundry a week, which get’s done on the same day.

I have laminate floor throughout the whole house so it’s pretty simply to sweep and Swiffer. But still I only do it....once a month maybe. General dusting is as I see fit. If it needs it do it, if not meh.

After almost 50 years of marriage, we've reached a happy medium and peacefully co-exist. I'm still a slob when it comes to throwing clothes on the floor next to my dresser or on a chair at night because "I'm only going to wear them again tomorrow, so what's the point of putting them away?"

Laundry: I've done my own laundry most of the almost 50 years we've been married. My wash may be all flannel shirts, pocket tees, jeans and whites, but I like them done my way which includes vinegar in the rinse, not the stinky fabric softener my wife uses. I also like my clothes folded or hung a certain way. I don't remember me wife ever once complaining about not being to do my wash :001_smile.

Bed: I don't bother. My wife straightens the sheets and blankets every morning and only makes it if someone's coming over. I would just close the door.

Cleaning: My wife cleans & dusts the upstairs, including baths and I take care of the downstairs tv and computer rooms. I do all the vacuuming, up and down, because it kills her back.

Dishes: I do my dishes or put them in the dishwasher, unless my wife says "leave it", she'll take care of it. If I see the dishwasher is getting full, I stick in a tab and leave a napkin hanging out the door for my wife to turn it on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom