What's new

McCoy Tyner Has Died

Uncanny. He was playing beautiful music in my home as you posted this.

Rest well.

Attachments

• Ballads_Coletrane-Tyner-Jones-Garrison.jpg
    Ballads_Coletrane-Tyner-Jones-Garrison.jpg
    675.9 KB · Views: 8
When I heard that Tyner had died I recognized the name immediately but I couldn't put a finger on any of his work because I think only own one of his recordings. Then I checked to see who he had played with and he appeared on a lot of other artist's recordings that I'm more familiar with. John Coltrane, Joe Henderson, Donald Byrd, Grant Green, Wayne Shorter, Stanley Turrentine, Hank Mobley, Lee Morgan, Freddie Hubbard. He played with a lot of great artists. I'll have to give "The Real McCoy" and some of the others a spin.

Last edited:
The silver lining, if there is one, is that he will live on in the inspiration he provided to young musicians. I ran into this young guy doing what I'm assuming was a warm-up gig for his tour as he said they were headed to Europe the following week. The venue was small and they were working through material so it was a very intimate and raw performance but not raw in a "rough" sense. They were having fun and taking chances and man, they were nailing it and he had a very Tyner-esque attack at times. Different trio with him but equally talented. It gives hope that as the greats pass away -- music will not devolve.

As an aside, I remember seeing McCoy Tyner and Bobby Hutcherson at Jazz Alley in Seattle in the 90's and getting there early to get a table next to the stage and almost regretting it because when Tyner would get on a tear and start popping those staccato accents it was almost like getting pelted with a BB-gun. It's a small club to begin with, but when you're only a couple of feet from the business-end of a baby grand and a guy like that is bearing-down on the keys, it'll make both an impression on ya... and dents in ya, haha. That guy had powerful hands.

I was fortunate to have seen him in a small club in DC in the '80s. If you like Coltrane's work when Tyner was in the band, he's worth following on every piece, and his solo recordings are all excellent. Here's a bit of trivia for you: Bob Weir says that his unusual and distinctive rhythm guitar style is intended to sound like McCoy Tyner's left hand.

Top Bottom