What's new

Maybe carts arent so bad?

Carts are fine if you use traditional methods (quality products and technique). But the problem I have is they don't feel as comfortable on my skin as a DE and they give me bad ingrown hairs and bumps due to their lift and cut below the skin technology.

I actually get the same or even better shave with a cart (Mach 3 or Fusion) as I do with a DE. I should qualify that: the initial shave is equally close, but the DE shave lasts longer before I notice the appearance (or feel) of stubble. My main objection is the insane cost of carts, especially the Fusion. The main problem I have with a DE is on my neck...I just can't seem to get my neck acceptably shaved with a DE, while I can with a Trac II, Mach 3, Fusion, or even an electric. I rarely to never get cuts or irritation with any type of razor, unless I try to shave my neck too closely with a DE.

I am in the process of changing over to using a Trac II exclusively. I get a good shave with it, Personna Trac II carts aren't expensive, and I can shave my neck acceptably well.

I think that "cartridges suck" is another urban legend, next to the "wetshaving saves money". I simply think, like someone else mentioned, that with cartridges, very few really paid attention to how they were shaving. Myself, i was trying to avoid shaving as much as possible (waste of time) and i was doing 1 pass WTG, plus some touchups without lather. The shave was acceptable, thanks to the application of extra pressure, that would cut to a "WTG BBS" result. The reason i would only shave WTG, was than when i first started shaving (and it was with cartridges), ATG would often cause irritation, so at the end i stopped it.

Proof:
“These companies have done too good of a job of creating all these new devices,” said Dr. Keaney, the founder of W for Men, thought to be the country’s first cosmetic practice focused on men. “We’re almost getting too close of a shave, and a lot of men can’t tolerate it.”
Safety Razors Regain Popularity for Men

With DE, i can now actually shave ATG without issues. As far as costs go, i haven't paid attention to the matter, since i wasn't really paying attention to shaving when i was using cartridges, but i am 99,9% sure that wetshaving costs me more, because:

With the Cartridges: I would shave as less frequently as i could with a mix of Gilette sensor/Sensor Excel or some german cartridges that are like half the price, sold at big discount stores. Whatever i was finding in front of me or happened to find from an online store while buying other stuff. And since i was doing only 1 main pass and not very frequent, they 'd last me quite a bit. I never cared to count. I was using a local very soothing sensitive skin canned foam that sells for 1.2 EUR for 400 ml and i was probably going a year with a can. No aftershave (what "shave?" i could even shave with no foam at all, just water if i wanted. My skin was feeling nothing).

With the DE razor:
I bought: 7 razors (between fear of failing TTO mechanism and zamak), 3950 blades, added Nivea Argan oil cream for preshave, 5 brushes (boar and synth), creams and soaps for 7 years, which cost let's say on average 2.5 EUR each and about a 2 year supply of aftershaves. Now i shave every 1,5 days to make a dent to the stash.

Maybe if live to 100, i will break even. But, the good thing, is that shaving now has more variety and the biggest satisfaction, is when i walk out of the bathroom without nicks or weepers, no matter what the blade was. Variety is the salt of life. And i consider that adding quite a bit of variety to the shaving, while keeping it cheap, a very worthwhile transition and cartridges won't reappear in my bathroom.

I believe if i had cared about cartridge shaving as much as i read and cared for DE shaving, the results would have been the same,if not better. But, for me, the cartridges can't give the satisfaction of loading a different blade every day and train your skill.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Only thing I hated about carts was the price. A cartridge pack costs more than a tank of gas? That's absurd, sell it to some other sucker.

Never had a problem with disposables. Switched to de to save a couple bucks, and to stop dumping plastic into landfills. Wonder how many dumpster loads I contributed? Then multiply by however many billion men and women shave.

I've come to enjoy the process, the challenge, and the choices. Big bonus!

Only thing I hated about carts was the price. A cartridge pack costs more than a tank of gas? That's absurd, sell it to some other sucker.

Boy, you must have some really cheap gas there! Cause here, it's about 1.4 EUR per liter. For say a medium vehicle with a 50l tank, that's 70 EUR.

In the US Amazon, a 4 pack of Fusion costs 17.50$ and Gilette on the package says that it lasts up to 4 months with 3 shaves a week. So that's 4.3$ a month.

Wetshaving, if you add the various preps, razor addiction, SCAD, aftershaves and "quality soaps", probably exceeds that. With a more conservative approach, maybe you can go a bit lower. But, still pretty close. So Gilette knows that the alternatives aren't significantly cheaper...

Never had a problem with disposables. Switched to de to save a couple bucks, and to stop dumping plastic into landfills. Wonder how many dumpster loads I contributed? Then multiply by however many billion men and women shave.

Plus, DE shaving is more hygienic. With carts, no matter how much i tried, i could never properly rinse the blades. There was always some residue of foam mixed with hair stuck between the blades. Disgusting just to look at it. Now with the DE, i rinse and dish soap clean the razor every time, dry the blade, put it back on its wrapper and the next time, it's fresh and clean again.

I was used my Harry's carts until a week or week and a half ago and can tell you the shaves were smooth and I will still use the Harry's if need be. Since switching to a DE the quality of the experience of shaving and the noticeable difference in the skin afterwards is worth way more to me than trying to keep score on what shave actually cost less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boy, you must have some really cheap gas there! Cause here, it's about 1.4 EUR per liter. For say a medium vehicle with a 50l tank, that's 70 EUR.

In the US Amazon, a 4 pack of Fusion costs 17.50$ and Gilette on the package says that it lasts up to 4 months with 3 shaves a week. So that's 4.3$ a month.

Wetshaving, if you add the various preps, razor addiction, SCAD, aftershaves and "quality soaps", probably exceeds that. With a more conservative approach, maybe you can go a bit lower. But, still pretty close. So Gilette knows that the alternatives aren't significantly cheaper...
This is an apples and oranges comparison that most people make in jest. But you're not comparing carts vs DE. You're comparing changing your whole process vs not. You can stick with your canned foam, switch to DE and it will be much cheaper. You can stay with carts and get into soaps and after shaves and DE would again be cheaper. It's just that often people make the switch and then turn it into an experience instead of a chore. That doesn't mean DE shaving costs more, making it an experience costs more.

Personally I started using a brush and good shaving soap prior to switching to DE, so the all the soap and post care products would have been purchased with my cart shaving anyway and switch to DE saved me cart costs. Which were about $15-20/month.

This is an apples and oranges comparison that most people make in jest. But you're not comparing carts vs DE. You're comparing changing your whole process vs not. You can stick with your canned foam, switch to DE and it will be much cheaper. You can stay with carts and get into soaps and after shaves and DE would again be cheaper. It's just that often people make the switch and then turn it into an experience instead of a chore. That doesn't mean DE shaving costs more, making it an experience costs more.

Personally I started using a brush and good shaving soap prior to switching to DE, so the all the soap and post care products would have been purchased with my cart shaving anyway and switch to DE saved me cart costs. Which were about $15-20/month.

I guess there are the exceptions like you, but pretty much the overwhelming majority of cart users uses a canned foam and the overwhelming of DE shavers once he starts reading about "how to shave", is almost compulsed to get the "whole experience", because it's not just a matter of experience, it's also a matter of bigger need. Canned foams are worse then a cream for DE shaving. And aftershave becomes almost a necessity, as long as you go ATG.

I also think that the majority of cart shavers dont' spend $15-20$ per month either. That's 4 Fusion heads. I know people that go 5 months with them.

You 're right, that if someone sticks to a cheap razor, blades and a cheap cream or canned foam, at the end it will cost less. But how many really do that, once they go to the 10th "wetshaving tutorial" and start hearing about the "Canned goo", the "real lather", the "vintage razors", the "if you haven't tried TOBS you haven't been wetshaving" etc... THat's the thing.

Last edited:
Eventually you settle on a soap or cream you prefer. I have settled on êShave shaving soap, either a Profile twin blade razor or the latest inexpensive private label product. I used Speick from 2008 until 2012, then mainly Old Spice, Ted Baker Grooming Cologne - now discontinued and Lotion Opaline. Speick has now rejoined my rotation. I have ordered a One Blade Core, but you don't need to spend a fortune. I would advise to just find your setup pretty quickly.

Eventually you settle on a soap or cream you prefer. I have settled on êShave shaving soap, either a Profile twin blade razor or the latest inexpensive private label product. I used Speick from 2008 until 2012, then mainly Old Spice, Ted Baker Grooming Cologne - now discontinued and Lotion Opaline. Speick has now rejoined my rotation. I have ordered a One Blade Core, but you don't need to spend a fortune. I would advise to just find your setup pretty quickly.

I like variety. I have 11 types of blades and most of them were a bit more expensive than my favourite, the Astra. But i couldn't just buy all Astra, it would be way too boring. Same thing applies with creams. But luckily, i am not a scent-hunter. I can find a large variety of creams for cheap and i will probably use a more expensive cream for weekend shaves. One cream is too boring. I have a good variety of mass production creams and 2 Haslinger soaps and incoming TOBS. The Haslingers and TOBS will be the "weekend" soaps, for when i have more time to have a more relaxing shave.

I like variety. I have 11 types of blades and most of them were a bit more expensive than my favourite, the Astra. But i couldn't just buy all Astra, it would be way too boring. Same thing applies with creams. But luckily, i am not a scent-hunter. I can find a large variety of creams for cheap and i will probably use a more expensive cream for weekend shaves. One cream is too boring. I have a good variety of mass production creams and 2 Haslinger soaps and incoming TOBS. The Haslingers and TOBS will be the "weekend" soaps, for when i have more time to have a more relaxing shave.
I have over 300 creams and soaps. I would buy an expensive cream like AdP for special occasions, but when it comes to it I still use the same setup and the AdP is a tub in the spare bedroom.

I feel there is a percentage of members, albeit small, that gravitated to this site because carts gave them severe irritation and/or dreadful shaves. Another percentage landed looking to save money and another percentage sought to resurrect old-time traditions. Some fall into the category of a mish mash of the above mentioned. Cart hatred is a byproduct of the zealotry of the newly 'converted', and as with all zealotry, it is misguided. The Trac II served me famously for years and I still use carts in my rotation. Prep and pampering gives me a great shave regardless of the shaving implement. The shaving implement is as equally subjective as brush or soap preference.

I was a confirmed DE OC shaver for many years but after developing a skin rash in 2015 I've found that the G2 sensor or mach 3 are the only razors that don't have me with a skin reactions. Saying that I'm looking at trying am injector for the 3rd time.

I have over 300 creams and soaps. I would buy an expensive cream like AdP for special occasions, but when it comes to it I still use the same setup and the AdP is a tub in the spare bedroom.

300? Have you ever done a showdown to see who has the highest amount of soaps? There is a thread going on about that right now i think. It will be hilarious! The only "standard" setup i have is that 95% of the time, i use the same razor. The rest i have to change.

For me it is all about the ingrown hairs. After using carts for 29 years and having ingrown hairs from the bottom of my neck to my jawline, I switched to DE shaving. Voila! Two weeks later the bumps were gone. No one shaving method seems to work well for everyone. YMMV!

300? Have you ever done a showdown to see who has the highest amount of soaps? There is a thread going on about that right now i think. It will be hilarious! The only "standard" setup i have is that 95% of the time, i use the same razor. The rest i have to change.
No. I now just use a few.

A big reason that I like shaving with a DE. This wasn't the original intent by any means but it made sense after a while... and I'm not a tree hugger by any stretch of the imagination...but I like that fact that I'm not tossing things for the sake of convenience. Like the olden days when things lasted and you reused just about anything (I still don't throw out glass jars... great for making Jam... or in the shed as screw containers). I've seen some disturbing pictures of beaches with washed up garbage... and kids playing amongst it. I wouldn't want my son to grab an old rusty cart!!

Plus, DE shaving is more hygienic. With carts, no matter how much i tried, i could never properly rinse the blades. There was always some residue of foam mixed with hair stuck between the blades. Disgusting just to look at it. Now with the DE, i rinse and dish soap clean the razor every time, dry the blade, put it back on its wrapper and the next time, it's fresh and clean again.

Had the same problem... especially after a few days of growth... the 4x and up have such tight blade gaps that even soap wont always pass properly. Then you press down to get more contact and voila... irritation!! I think it would work well when you shave daily...

I feel there is a percentage of members, albeit small, that gravitated to this site because carts gave them severe irritation and/or dreadful shaves. Another percentage landed looking to save money and another percentage sought to resurrect old-time traditions. Some fall into the category of a mish mash of the above mentioned. Cart hatred is a byproduct of the zealotry of the newly 'converted', and as with all zealotry, it is misguided. The Trac II served me famously for years and I still use carts in my rotation. Prep and pampering gives me a great shave regardless of the shaving implement. The shaving implement is as equally subjective as brush or soap preference.

The main reason why I switched back in 2015 was that I was getting unsatisfactory shaves... with a cart. 2 years down the road I have to admit... it really wasn't 100% of the carts fault!! Since it was a chore, you never paid much attention to it... you cussed it out, you suffered... but looking at your technique?? Didn't occur to me at the time. Now that I have established a proper technique (facemapping, pre/postshave routine... and how to shave properly in general!!) I can get a very satisfactory shave from a cart.... one thing I also leared from using my DE's is that not all blades and not all razors are alike!! Think about how many times we have to say YMMV!! The Blade X works wonders for a friend but I can't stand it... How can one type of cartridge work for billions of faces?!? It can't!! But due to lack of knowledge we run with it anyway. Due to starting with a DE (and this forum) I started digging into the subject... actually paying attention to what I was doing while shaving... troubleshooting!! And the results are good shaves.... this is all information that is not really widespread... and a fresh youngster that shaves the first time (not all have an older male in the house that can teach them properly) will have to figure it out on his own with the help of multi-million dollar companys shoving their oh so great products down his throat saying its idiot proof. No its not!! Like anything in life, you need to learn how to do it!!!
Sorry for rambling... I've recently had a similar discussion with my brother ;-)

Carts are fine if you use traditional methods (quality products and technique). But the problem I have is they don't feel as comfortable on my skin as a DE and they give me bad ingrown hairs and bumps due to their lift and cut below the skin technology.

I can absolutely agree... while the canned shave cream or gels CAN work... they do contain components that can further the irritation. But again... if used with knowledge will give a satisfactory shave. But life would be so boruing without having the aroma therapy effect that soaps and creams give me... and whipping up a beautiful lather with a good brush is very satisfying and does give a sense of accomplishment ;-)

Sorry for the extended post... :001_unsur

Top Bottom