What's new

Matching Socks

I like to mismatch my socks. Right now I'm wearing black socks one with orange toes and one with green toes.
It always brings a smile to my ladies face and I like to see her smiling.

proxy.php
That's cute. My 7-year old daughter wears mismatched socks every day, too. :lol:

I am pretty limited. I can't wear cotton socks that have dyes in them, I break out into serious hives.

I wear silk dress socks, tan or black... I match to my pants.

When wearing jeans, or shorts, or around the house I wear white ankle socks

I seem to stick with the same color/tone of the pants I'm wearing at work for the base color of my socks, but let argyle, dot, or stripe patterns add a little color if I like.

In a professional setting your socks should match your pants but if you can't then your shoes. If you want to throw in some color then a pattern is a good opportunity but you should gauge the conservativeness of the environment for how much color is acceptable. In more relaxed settings you can be more adventurous with your socks.

I am never a big fan of matching the socks to the shirt or, even worse, the tie. I think it looks kitschy. It's not clever or fun like wearing brightly colored socks should be. It says to me you went to the store and picked out several sets of clothes in the same color and keep them hung up together. That isn't relaxed or stylish. Generally the socks should be complementary to the shirt and tie colors but not the same color.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I like to mismatch my socks. Right now I'm wearing black socks one with orange toes and one with green toes.
It always brings a smile to my ladies face and I like to see her smiling.

A person needn't worry about wearing equal socks when he wears boots. With me the socks needn't match.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
For suits and dressier looks you are supposed to match to your pants.

Think of it this way. You want your socks to look like an extension of your pants. It makes your legs look longer too. You don't want them to look like some weird extension of your shoes. Why would you want it to look like your shoes were traveling up your leg?

+1

1(easy/beginner). Just wear black socks. Works with just about everything and you never have to worry about which socks to wear.

2. (moderate/intermediate) In regards to matching socks to pants or shoes, the logic supports pants (less break, elongates legs) but honestly its so minor that I recommend going with your gut as to which one you like better because it really doesn't matters unless...

3. (difficult/advanced)Fun socks/contrast socks are interesting. Doesn't have be bold either to stand out. For example, I like to wear tan/khaki socks with brown shoes and jeans as it pairs well with both colors but stands out a bit. Patterns work well. I see it a lot more with women (as listed) but purposely mismatched socks would be a great way to signal fun/playful (more so that super bright socks IMO) but is an advanced trick to pull off to be sure.

I was always taught that socks should match your pants first and your shoes second.

The socks' secondary colour (ie the colour used for any pattern they may have) should match either your pants or your shirt.

Top Bottom