What's new

Martini Tasting

The way I understand it, shaking a martini makes it too cold, which kills the flavor of the gin (or at least your ability to taste it), and then what's the point of using gin anyway? It might as well be vodka at that point.

My wife love's.....Dirty Martinis.........So I make them all the time...

The great thing is my wife works for a very large law firm and one of the attorneys works with several importers of spirits....

So he gets free samples...thus my wife gets all the gin!!!!...Good for me!

I like great gin on the rocks...and a twist of lime and an olive...In fact I am sipping on some Hendricks and every once in a while I reach over for a shot of Vodka to clean the pallet!..:hand:

I've been drinking a lot of martini's lately, primarily at good steakhouses, and they all have been shaken. I've actually never seen a martini stirred at a bar or restaurant is this really a common practice? (at a bar or restaurant)

I've been drinking a lot of martini's lately, primarily at good steakhouses, and they all have been shaken. I've actually never seen a martini stirred at a bar or restaurant is this really a common practice? (at a bar or restaurant)

My GAWD MAN! Real bucket of worms you've opened now! Many purists insist that a martini be stirred.. BUT, it must not be stirred with a metal stirring rod as the metallic ions will destroy the flavor of the gin.. So comes the glass stirring rod.. Argh! I've noted that many bartenders shake martinis, while others stir. I have also noted that at the finest establishments, it is stirred unless requested otherwise.. If you are in the New Hope, PA (not far from Trenton) area, try Odette's. Perhaps one of the finest menus of martinis in the tri-state area.:drool:

Odette's has been closed due to flood damage. We drove by and it should be re-opening but maybe under a different name.

I usually use Tanqueray and a shaker, but when I want something a little different I use Hendricks. It's kind of rosey and cucumbery. :drool: It's expensive though, so it's not the gin I drink regularly. Gordon's is hands down the best cheap gin, but who wants a cheap gin in a martini?

I usually use Tanqueray and a shaker, but when I want something a little different I use Hendricks. It's kind of rosey and cucumbery. :drool: It's expensive though, so it's not the gin I drink regularly. Gordon's is hands down the best cheap gin, but who wants a cheap gin in a martini?

I LOVE Hendricks - it's very much my G&T go-to gin - but not so much in Martinis; I find it clashes with the vermouth.

I like Beefeater for every day, Plymouth for guests and Tanquery 10 for special occasions.

I pour a jigger for vermouth (Noilly Pratt) on fresh ice in a mixing glass and immediately discard the vermouth (enough sticks to the ice for my taste, just make sure your ice is right out of the freezer) then add two to three ounces of gin and stir it 50 times. Decant into a chilled cocktail glass and add a twist of lemon. This is the method I have settled on after 20 years of martini consumption.
Cheers!

I have observed the same thing...if you want it stirred, you better ask. Bartenders just aren't what they used to be...

S

sullivanpm

My GAWD MAN! Real bucket of worms you've opened now! Many purists insist that a martini be stirred.. BUT, it must not be stirred with a metal stirring rod as the metallic ions will destroy the flavor of the gin.. So comes the glass stirring rod.. Argh! I've noted that many bartenders shake martinis, while others stir. I have also noted that at the finest establishments, it is stirred unless requested otherwise.. If you are in the New Hope, PA (not far from Trenton) area, try Odette's. Perhaps one of the finest menus of martinis in the tri-state area.:drool:

I guess this means I'll have to for go the metal shakers that I stir mine in.
I need to find a nice glass pitcher.

I had a martini the other day made with Bombay Gin, no disrespect to the members here who enjoy it, but I couldn't even finish the drink it was so dreadful.

They do take a little getting used to. :tongue:

Tim

You are so right. I made and drank my first one when I was 16 years old. My brother and I made it. I believe the vermouth was Martin and Rossi (it had been open probably for a year) and Gordon's gin that was lying around. My parents are not drinkers but these two liquors are used in asian cooking so they were available. We didn't have olives so I guess these we naked martinis. We mixed it fairly wet (3 to 1) on ice and strained it into wines glasses...the result tasted like gasoline. I don't we even finished the drink.
About 4 years later I decided to give it another shot. This time it was made by a professional in a fine restaurant with better ingredients...I was then hooked.

I love martini's it's all I've been drinking lately, it was just the Bombay I couldn't handle.

Oh, sorry. I should have known that, but I misunderstood. :redface:

That's funny, though, Bombay is my second favorite gin. Although I don't have access to all the fancy brands so many of you are mentioning. E.g., I would love to try Hendrick's, but I've never seen it for sale. Ditto for Plymouth.

Tim

Oh, sorry. I should have known that, but I misunderstood. :redface:

That's funny, though, Bombay is my second favorite gin. Although I don't have access to all the fancy brands so many of you are mentioning. E.g., I would love to try Hendrick's, but I've never seen it for sale. Ditto for Plymouth.

Tim

The Bombay just didn't agree with me, but I should have known better since I don't care for Bombay Sapphire either. Hendricks is a very tasty gin, but it is definately unique and I highly recommend trying it at a bar first. Plymouth is great, it's good enough, I say skip the bar and just pick up a bottle. It's also pretty reasonably priced a bottle can be found for a little over $15. I'd gladly ship you a bottle, Tim, but not with those Alabama laws. :biggrin:

I guess this means I'll have to for go the metal shakers that I stir mine in.
I need to find a nice glass pitcher.

Many, many years ago Cary Grant (I believe) was in a movie with some femme fatale. When he was about to ply her with spirits,:a37: he used this beautiful crystal martini pitcher! That was a classic!!! :ihih:

Top Bottom