What's new

Interesting article on Manhattan's

Best Ive had:

Wild Turkey 101 Rye
Noilly Prat Sweet Vermouth
Peychauds Bitters (bought em and Im not buying Angostura until this bottles empty)

I like a 2:1 ratio with the 101 but with other booze its usually 3:1 and several drops 'O da bitters for me

I finally made one at home I was happy with:

2 parts Sazerac rye (the 6 y.o., not the 18)
1 part Noilly Prat sweet vermouth
Angustora bitters

I'll eventually try it with Peychaud's bitters and maybe even orange bitters.

(I wanted to try the Wild Turkey rye but haven't found it yet.)

Thanks for posting the article. I picked up a bottle of the Russell's Reserve Rye http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=63538&highlight=spirit+month back in November. I really didn't care for it much. I tried the stuff straight, on the rocks, with coke - nothing worked for me. So I picked up some sweet vermouth and bitters. My attempts at a decent Manhattan were disappointing at best. Anyway, after reading this article, I tried the 25% suggestion for the vermouth and found it to be excellent:
  • 1.5 onces of the Russell's Reserve
  • .5 once of sweet vermouth
  • 1 shake of bitters
  • 1 cherry
I tried the the same combo with Maker's Mark and Four Roses Single Barrel and found that I actually preferred the Russell's for a Manhattan.

Great thread and good job Darjeeling for resurrecting it. The Manhattan. The name exudes a certain air. A certain piece of Americana that conjures images of Humphrey Bogart in a double breasted suit. You know, I have really been kicking around the Martini thing since I bought the new/old Noilly Prat a few weeks ago. I wonder how it would blend in this drink? I know the classic incarnation is sweet vermouth but this stuff is somewhat sweeter than the old American dry formula. And rye. This has now become my number one spirit to acquire. Between the talk of Sazerac and Manhattan, I have to make it happen. I absolutely love it that classic cocktails have made a return. Just like our fascination with classic shaving instruments. May neither fall into the disrepair of decades past.

Regards, Todd

Well said Todd. I made my first one with Bourbon tonight. If you're interested in being bored to death, see my post in Castlecraver's thread just below which has my "recipe". Thanks to Castlecraver, for the original inspiration to try this lovely cocktail.

Top Bottom