What's new

Martini Tasting

Normally in deference to the efforts of others I would post this information in either the GIN or Favorite Martini Something or other thread, but I just thought that this deserved a spot of its own.

After reading a piece in one of the bon vivant sections by Azimov, et al on the taste testing of 80 different martini gins I was challenged by Michael (Leisureguy) to give Plymouth gin a shot as my martini basis. Well I did better than that. I gave it a double shot over the rocks into the mixing pitcher in a head to head with my long-time favorite Bombay Sapphire. Four to one and using the same measures of fresh ice cubes, Noilly Prat Dry Vermouth, almond-stuffed olives, etc.. last night there it was coming from the wet shaving mecca of the Midwest, the head to head MARTINI WARZ!

Following all of the best practices approved by CMM for limiting variability, I started off with a palate-cleansing piece of French bread. Chewed and spit out, it was immediately followed by a short sniff and sip of the Plymouth martini.. Mmmm.. Ahhh! Spit.. (Drat!) Water rinse.. More French bread followed by a sniff and sip of the Bombay Sapphire martini. Mmmm.. Ahhh! Spit.. (Drat!)

The discipline required was more than I could continue to exhibit. At this particular time I wrote down my initial feelings about both martinis and launched into an orgy of slurping and eating Town Crackers with cheese and anchovies and dry roasted peanuts to resharpen the taste buds between tastings.

Waking several hours later I found my notes to reveal one starkly frightening report, the Plymouth gin made a smoother four to one martini than that produced bythe Bombay Sapphire! :eek6:

Can this be true? I will once again make the great sacrifice this PM, reversing the order of first test and see if I get consistent results. :001_rolle

Excellent report. I have been anticipating your report on Plymouth gin (I like the occasional gin and tonic, haven't ventured into martinis yet) and can't wait for your second report (confirmation perhaps?) this evening. :smile:

S

sullivanpm

I have never had Plymouth gin. I have had quite a bit of Bombay Sapphire though.
I find that I like Gordon's the best in martinis though I can't explain why.
I use an atomizer for the application of vermouth.
If I have Vodka, I take it like Churchill took his: with a moment of silence for the vermouth.

Good report Ron, but I'm a vodka martini lover, switched over from gin many...many years ago.

Regards,

After trying quite a few brands of Gin I've made my decision and that is Bombay Sapphire, no turning back. To me it has a richness with just enough bite, very nice. I'll end with the only bit of wisdom my dear Father in law ever bestowed me: "Better watch those Martinis' boy, it doesn't take to many of those to make a dozen."

and absolutely Shaken not stirred...Dan

Well gentlemen, after last evenings experience I decided to reduce the doubles to doubles!:rolleyes: So why is there this apparent smoothness in the Plymouth not in the Bombay Sapphire? Remember, the Bombay is my long-time favorite, arrived at after a journey through several, er, many great gins..
Well, the blokes at Plymouth have an advantage by producing a slightly lower-proofed product! Eighty four something versus ninety four something..
"Ah hah," you say! "Skulldugery afoot!"
While I agree, smoother is smoother and the difference in proof did not seem to reduce the gastronomical delight these gems of the bar provided. Tonight's test cases were fine examples of five to one and this time shaken, not stirred.. :drool:
Slightly fewer botanicals in the Plymouth, a hint more citrus, maybe lemon in the Bombay.. What to do, what to do? Drink 'em says I to me! And I did..:tongue: Whichever you choose, neither is wrong in this case. Enjoy and Saaaalute!:biggrin1:

What a great subject after a long Day.... I really enjoy Bombay Martini's as well as a Tonic at times.:biggrin:
VERY REFRESHING!!!!

John

Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother (gawd bless her soul, etc.) is said to have liked the vermouth to be waved over the gin so that the vapours scented the martini. She'd say that you put too much vermouth in your martini. You'd say her martini was a neat gin!

Great report. An old friend of mine also felt that the Plymouth was the best gin out there. I've favoured Tanq for a while myself, but have a lot of learning to do.

Well gentlemen, after last evenings experience I decided to reduce the doubles to doubles!:rolleyes: So why is there this apparent smoothness in the Plymouth not in the Bombay Sapphire? Remember, the Bombay is my long-time favorite, arrived at after a journey through several, er, many great gins..
Well, the blokes at Plymouth have an advantage by producing a slightly lower-proofed product! Eighty four something versus ninety four something..
"Ah hah," you say! "Skulldugery afoot!"
While I agree, smoother is smoother and the difference in proof did not seem to reduce the gastronomical delight these gems of the bar provided. Tonight's test cases were fine examples of five to one and this time shaken, not stirred.. :drool:
Slightly fewer botanicals in the Plymouth, a hint more citrus, maybe lemon in the Bombay.. What to do, what to do? Drink 'em says I to me! And I did..:tongue: Whichever you choose, neither is wrong in this case. Enjoy and Saaaalute!:biggrin1:

Have you visited the Plymouth Gin website? It has loads of cocktail recipes on there and it also has a small video in the tour section on how to make the perfect Plymouth Gin Martini. If it's strength of alcohol you're worried about there is always the Plymouth Gin Navy Strength, although I'm not sure about it's availability in the States.

Phil

Excellent report Ron! I'm a lover of martinis as well and my definate preference is Boodles, you may want to give it a try, it's reasonalby priced and very good. I definately like Plymouth but IMO the Boodles is smoother. But the smoothest gin I know of is Bafferts, but the flavor profile is also the mildest.

My martini of choice has been a Stoli dirty martini (shaken), dry as dry can be, with a bluecheese stuffed olive.

For the first time, next time I am out and about, I will now try a Bombay Saphire martini, also painfully dry, with a plain olive.

As far as the "shaken, not stirred" controversy, I've read that, for Vodka martinis anyway, shaking the martini "bruises" the vodka, transfers tiny ice chips into the glass, and produces a cloudy martini, rather than a clear one.

Is there passion over "shaken" versus "stirred"? Or does it really matter...
And does it matter when it is gin versus vodka?...

As far as the "shaken, not stirred" controversy, I've read that, for Vodka martinis anyway, shaking the martini "bruises" the vodka, transfers tiny ice chips into the glass, and produces a cloudy martini, rather than a clear one.

Is there passion over "shaken" versus "stirred"? Or does it really matter...
And does it matter when it is gin versus vodka?...

You've actually, from my experience, gotten it backwards. Shaking a martini will bruise it, while shaking a vodka martini is less likely to do so. (This is actually rumoured to be the reason that vodka martinis exist; apparently in an early Bond novel, Bond asked for a martini 'shaken not stirred'. Loyal (and pedantic) readers wrote into Ian Fleming, telling of how somebody as suave as James Bond wouldn't want a cloudy martini. Paf! The vodka martini was invented.)

I find the passion tends to be with those who prefer it stirred (it's about the only way a bartender can lose a tip from me). Those who prefer it shaken (from my experience) are either university students or serious Bond fans.

Edit: As for types of martinis; my favourite (though it's been a long time) is for Graffiti gin, 5:1 with Noilly Prat and a pickled onion (I loves me my Gibsons). Havn't found Graffiti in Canada yet though.

So when ordering a gin martini, will a bartender, absent direction from the customer, shake the gin martini, or stir it?

Depends how good of a bartender they are, innit? :cool:

Generally, if they know their stuff and I just asked for 'a martini', I'd expect gin, vermouth, stirred, with green pimentoed olives (which is why I always specify black when I want olives).

I find the passion tends to be with those who prefer it stirred (it's about the only way a bartender can lose a tip from me). Those who prefer it shaken (from my experience) are either university students or serious Bond fans.

I always have mine stirred, but I haven't had to become passionate about it because I almost always make my own martinis at home. So, there's no controversy, here.

BTW, I have been a big Bond fan since the mid-60's, but that apparently didn't affect my preference in martinis. I only have stirred martinis, made (correctly) with gin.

Tim

Have you visited the Plymouth Gin website? It has loads of cocktail recipes on there and it also has a small video in the tour section on how to make the perfect Plymouth Gin Martini. If it's strength of alcohol you're worried about there is always the Plymouth Gin Navy Strength, although I'm not sure about it's availability in the States.

Phil

Thanks Phil! Must do that..

Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother (gawd bless her soul, etc.) is said to have liked the vermouth to be waved over the gin so that the vapours scented the martini. She'd say that you put too much vermouth in your martini. You'd say her martini was a neat gin!

Great report. An old friend of mine also felt that the Plymouth was the best gin out there. I've favoured Tanq for a while myself, but have a lot of learning to do.

Well Doctor Simon, Bless the Queen Mum! There was an old saying that "... it was the vermouth that made the difference between a gentleman and a bum." So who is to say?
At one time in my youth my routine for making a martini was to get out the pitcher, nice fresh ice cubes, a glass stirring rod, and then pour on the gin. After a satisfactory amount of gin arrived on the ice, everyone in the room was requested to turn towards Italy and salute. So much for the vermouth..

Here's my FAVORITE PICTURE of one of the Royals!:smile:

full

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the difference between 'big' Bond fans, and 'serious' ones. The 'big' ones watch the films. The 'serious' ones, paid pillgramage here. :biggrin1:

Well, okay. But, I am a "big" enough fan that I have read all the Fleming-written novels, some of them more than once. I can't say that I've seen all the movies, though. I sort of lost interest when all the silliness started in the Roger Moore films. My top favorite film was From Russia With Love.

The Fleming books were better, though.

Tim

Top Bottom