What's new

Martin De Candre In a class by itself

Hello Gents,

I recently recieved my birthday gift from my wife. A tin of MDC. Everything you have read is true. After
2 days of use I have observed the following:
The shaves are simply marvelous. From the moment your brush rubs the soap into your face you instantly
realise you are using a superior product. It is a soft cream like sensation. Unlike any feeling I have experienced with other soaps including
kent/mwf and cella. Next, the slickness is great and for some reason you need less strokes to get a close shave and as if this was not enough after
the warm water rinse you feel as if no after shave is needed. Your face feels that moisturized! I follow my warm rinse with a cold water rinse and then I apply eau
sauvage splash. As I write this post, 6 hours after shaving my face feels smooth and moisturized. I have been wet shaving since the mid 90s and no soap or cream has produced
even closely this result.
WOW:001_tt1::001_tt1:
If you do not have this product and you are looking to take your wet shaving to the next level here it is. MDC is well worth the price even to the US.

All the best
Andy

My favorite soap right behind vintage Old Spice. I have no idea how a non-tallow soap can behave so much like a tallow soap. It's sheer wizardry.

My favorite soap right behind vintage Old Spice. I have no idea how a non-tallow soap can behave so much like a tallow soap. It's sheer wizardry.
So I must ask the question. Why is it not imitated in its construction by dozens of other soapmakers? Why aren't there a dozen clones of MdC that shave exactly like it? Especially when entrepreneurs in the US can see that only a very limited number of folks can/will pay the shipping/importation costs to use it, yet all who use it consider it #1?

I'm baffled.

So I must ask the question. Why is it not imitated in its construction by dozens of other soapmakers? Why aren't there a dozen clones of MdC that shave exactly like it? Especially when entrepreneurs in the US can see that only a very limited number of folks can/will pay the shipping/importation costs to use it, yet all who use it consider it #1?

I'm baffled.

It looks to me to be a combination of quality of ingredients and time. They only have six ingredients, so I imagine that they have to be of high quality and combined exactly right. And, according to their website, their soaps then sit for 5 months to dry. I doubt that many other manufacturers have the time, space, or commitment to allow their soaps to dry for 5 months or more.

I think another big factor is that commitment; I imagine that MdC can go through such exacting and time-consuming methods because I suspect their shaving soaps are a smaller part of their sales; they seem to provide much more bath/body soaps than shaving soaps.

I enjoy Martin de Candre, but I don't think its the shaving soap/cream to end all others, and that may play a factor as well. Why would another manufacturer go through all that and not be guaranteed to make profits because consumers are only lukewarm about it?

I enjoy Martin de Candre, but I don't think its the shaving soap/cream to end all others, and that may play a factor as well. Why would another manufacturer go through all that and not be guaranteed to make profits because consumers are only lukewarm about it?
Your points in your longer post are well taken. Yet, judging from posts I read on B&B about MdC, no one who has used it seems to be lukewarm about it. Granted, that lovefest may be aided by its exclusivety, its price, its "next new thingness" and the fact that from time to time a little lemming process takes place on the shaving forums over certain products.

Your points in your longer post are well taken. Yet, judging from posts I read on B&B about MdC, no one who has used it seems to be lukewarm about it. Granted, that lovefest may be aided by its exclusivety, its price, its "next new thingness" and the fact that from time to time a little lemming process takes place on the shaving forums over certain products.

It likely gets lost in all the fan boy posting, but I think there are a lot of people (including some very experienced members here) who are lukewarm about it. I am lukewarm about it. I think it is a good product, but I have others I prefer and use more often. I think the factors you list at the end of the post play a big part in its "performance" evaluation.

Martin de Candre is my favorite soap, although it's not a precipitous drop to #2. There's a small group of products I really love, and I would hate to have to choose only one, but if I had to, MdC would be it.

There has been considerable debate on this forum about MdC, I believe primarily because of its price tag. Some who have bought it and love it justify the expense because they believe it to be simply that much better than anything else out there. Others will argue that numerous less expensive products make exceptional lather, so the cost of MdC simply cannot be justified. The thing is, this is strictly a personal opinion, so there is no right or wrong. All too often, threads like these (and there have been several) devolve into arguments, simply because people forget that not everyone gets the same results, and not everyone has the same value system.

I bought a jar of MdC because I tried a sample and loved it, and it seemed like it would last forever. Given the ludicrous number of soaps in my cabinet:blush:, that jar may well last forever, but I will certainly be replacing it if and when it does bottom out. For me, it is worth it. Your mileage, howver, may indeed vary. I would encourage anyone considering Martin de Candre (or any other product for that matter) to take the reviews into consideration when weighing a purchase, but to form his own opinion of the product independent of those reviews.

It likely gets lost in all the fan boy posting, but I think there are a lot of people (including some very experienced members here) who are lukewarm about it. I am lukewarm about it. I think it is a good product, but I have others I prefer and use more often. I think the factors you list at the end of the post play a big part in its "performance" evaluation.

I really like it and I appreciate the fact that it is so "natural" (i.e. only a few ingredients). I guess no one posts their enthusiastic lukewarm opinions though. I live in Boston and no one calls into the sports radio stations here to state their indifference. What I meant to say earlier (responding to Crixus' point) is that the "mean" response is probably lukewarm; either people love it or hate it.

Martin de Candre is my favorite soap, although it's not a precipitous drop to #2. There's a small group of products I really love, and I would hate to have to choose only one, but if I had to, MdC would be it.

There has been considerable debate on this forum about MdC, I believe primarily because of its price tag. Some who have bought it and love it justify the expense because they believe it to be simply that much better than anything else out there. Others will argue that numerous less expensive products make exceptional lather, so the cost of MdC simply cannot be justified. The thing is, this is strictly a personal opinion, so there is no right or wrong. All too often, threads like these (and there have been several) devolve into arguments, simply because people forget that not everyone gets the same results, and not everyone has the same value system.

I bought a jar of MdC because I tried a sample and loved it, and it seemed like it would last forever. Given the ludicrous number of soaps in my cabinet:blush:, that jar may well last forever, but I will certainly be replacing it if and when it does bottom out. For me, it is worth it. Your mileage, howver, may indeed vary. I would encourage anyone considering Martin de Candre (or any other product for that matter) to take the reviews into consideration when weighing a purchase, but to form his own opinion of the product independent of those reviews.

Very well said. Thank you.

[I guess that explains why you are the Steward.]

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I honestly think I Coloniali Cream is in a class by itself. MDC is ok in my humble opinion.

Very well said. Thank you.

[I guess that explains why you are the Steward.]

He is always trying to be the voice of reason around here; however, I completely blame him for the recent surge of threads due to his wonderful generosity in serving as the quarterback of the latest MdC group buy!

It is one of the few soaps I used that takes only a few swirls to make great lather.

This. I used MdC the last couple of mornings and the amazing lathering capacity of the soap is second to none. I don't think I've made a slight dent in the jar after at least ten shaves.

I honestly think I Coloniali Cream is in a class by itself. MDC is ok in my humble opinion.

count me in for it not being #1 by a long shot... it works nicely, but i can't account for the hype. i have too many soaps that perform as well as MdC for me. Interesting herbal smell, nice lather, that about sums it up for me.. if this is considered the best of the best, then i truly have not figured out what you all are on about. i fi compared it to my experience with Co Conk and Williams, i can understand the contrast.

I don't want to be the party pooper, but sometimes it happens...

MdC is certainly an excellent soap, no-one can deny that, but believe it or not, I decided to sell mine. I have soaps that I rate more highly, and enjoy using more.

MdC is certainly an excellent soap, no-one can deny that, but believe it or not, I decided to sell mine. I have soaps that I rate more highly, and enjoy using more.

Same here! I really do love Dr Shelby's. Next to that is MWF & Valobra Menthol.

Top Bottom