What's new

Marmite and Vegemite fanciers?

I heard that people either love or hate this stuff, so I had to try it. I found some Marmite (United Kingdom) in the international foods section at the local market. There are many YouTube videos of people trying it for the first time. Most seem to dislike it. Vegemite is the Australian version. Some like Vegemite over Marmite, and vice versa.

I like Marmite. It's a salty, slightly meaty flavor (though it's vegetarian). I like it spread thinly on bread, with some cheese. Makes a quick and yummy lunch, and it's high in protein and nutrients. I also like it on toast with some butter. The stuff is basically a sticky paste made from boiling down yeast leftover from brewing beer. My dogs both love the stuff. I think they think it's meat.

I like to let people try it. Most don't even want to taste it after smelling it. About 5 people I know have tried it at my house, but no one likes it. They hate it. One day I will convert one of my fellow Americans to Marmite! I'd like to try Vegemite but can't find it around here.

Attachments

• $marmite_vegemite.jpg
    $marmite_vegemite.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
I grew up on vegemite. Just about every Australian did. Really good for you, as it has about the most vitamin B of any food. Plus it puts a high shine on a pair of boots, and when you slick back your hair with it it covers the greys.

I grew up on vegemite. Just about every Australian did. Really good for you, as it has about the most vitamin B of any food. Plus it puts a high shine on a pair of boots, and when you slick back your hair with it it covers the greys.

lol. Yep, and it is a great grease for your Land Rover (or Land Cruiser) bearings if you break down out in the bush. I guess in Australia, Vegemite is like peanut butter and jam sandwiches to us Americans. A lot of us Americans grew up on peanut butter and jam sandwiches.

I forgot to add above that Marmite is great in Ramen noodles. Scoop some on top of your noodles before adding the boiling water. It adds a nice flavor and nutritional value to the noodles.

Last edited:
Vegemite is NOT the Australian version of Marmite. They are completely different. Kind of.

and Vegemite is good, Marmite isn't !

Mind you I heard that when naming vegemite the original proposal was for it to be called Pawill".
As in "Marmite but Pawill"
No idea if it's true.

hang on I just went and looked on theinternet:

Following a nationwide competition with a prize of £50 (2010:$3,527) to find a name for the new spread, the name "Vegemite" was selected out of a hat by Fred Walker's daughter, Sheilah. Vegemite first appeared on the market in 1923 with advertising emphasising the value of Vegemite to children's health but failed to sell very well.[SUP][6][/SUP] Faced with growing competition from Marmite, from 1928 to 1935 the product was renamed as "Parwill" to make use of the advertising slogan "Marmite but Parwill", a convoluted pun on the new name and that of its competitor; "If Ma [mother] might... then Pa [father] will." This attempt to expand market share was unsuccessful and the name was changed back to Vegemite; but did not recover lost market share.[SUP][3][/SUP]
(Wikipedia)

I love Marmite, the adverts here used to say it was "the growing up spread you never grow out of". SWMBO hates it, she also hates my lemon cologne so I know that it isn't her fault, just an olfactory disorder. Both my kids give it a wide berth so I am outnumbered 3 to 1.

Never tried Vegemite although it is readily available here, it would be disloyal.

TOP TIP

Toast with butter (or low cholesterol spread, whatever your G.P recommends), thinly spread Marmite, top with cheese (low fat again) and pop under the grill.

TOP TIP TWO

A friend told me Marmite was good with peanut butter. They were wrong.

Next time I PIF I will include a jar of Marmite.

Next time I PIF I will include a jar of Marmite.

That's great. It is HARD to find in the USA. I found it in the international food section of my local 'Giant Eagle' market which is a chain of markets, but not all Giant Eagles carry it. Only a few carry it. I think it's available on Amazon but heavily marked up in price. I will have to try it using your Top Tip.

You also forgot Promite, different again to veg or mar. Being an Aussie kid I grew up on vegemite, my parents are english and tried to put me on promite but it doesn't do it for me as much as vegemite, it tastes similar but...sweeter. Vegemite is also great in beef-stocks and gravy's you just don't want to use too much. There is a chain bakery here called bakers delight that do 'cheesymite' scrolls they are quite possibly the best thing in the world for lunch when I was a kid they lived in my lunchbox and now the live in my sons lunchbox but now I make my own and add parsley and chives to change it up a little.

My Brother has been living in Bali for the last 8 years and every year or two we have to post him a commercial grade 5kg tub of vegemite to last him and his family!

edit: just looked on amazon, WOWZERS that's expensive! you could by 3 jars for that over here. Maybe I should start a Vegemite group buy.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
There is a current shortage here in New Zealand. Marmite was made in Christchurch but the factory has been closed after last years earthquake damaged the factory.
It's is being called Marmageddon. won't be on the shelfs again until September.
even though i grow up on marmite I preferr Vegimite. so I will make it through these very dark times LOL

Tried veggiemite a number of times while I was in Fiji but I never could get myself to like it. All the Aussies loved the stuff but it never agreed with me, still can't figure out what the hype is all about.

Another vote for the Vegemite!
Grew up on the stuff, I still think that it is wonderful.

The main mistake a lot of people make when trying it for the first time is to spread it thick. It is best spread nice and thin.

Being a Brit, I was brought up on Marmite of course. Usually on toast "soldiers" with boiled eggs! Still love the stuff though I must admit disloyalty as I prefer the flavour of Vegemite now it's readily available in the supermarkets here and, surprisingly, a bit cheaper than the home grown Marmite.

My favourite use these days is on the toast when I have poached or scrambled eggs on toast.

Most supermarkets here also sell their own brand version of Marmite. I did try promite a while ago and didn't like it at all. Far too sweet as someone mentioned above. I've read that the NZ Marmite is a sweet flavoured one too and we can't help them by sending Marmite parcels! I do have a couple of ex pat friends living near Christchurch. I shall have to get in touch and see if they need supplies!

Gareth

By the way, anyone else a fan of Patum Peperium, the Gentleman's Relish? Another great Brit spread that people don't get!

My sister's a vegetarian, so I need to post her a jar of Marmite. Marmite has a savory, meaty type of flavor, so it kinda satisfies that craving that a lot of vegetarians have for something savory and salty. And it's a good source of protein and B vitamins. It's not something to be slathered on (then it'd be too overpowering) but as a thin spread, the flavor is subtle and yummy.

I'm one of those proper Brits that loves the stuff (Marmite that is) There's an extra mature version too which is fantastic

Noice wan Bruce!

I think you can order Vegemite online... Amazon? Marmite in stores in the States. I put that on my toast and it's alright, just a bit salty.

Top Bottom