What's new

Margarita Ingredients

Cointreau/Grand Marnier (either one works well)
Fresh lime juice

For tequila, while I enjoy a Hornitos, I tend to go a little better. Tres Gen Plata works very well and is what I usually reach for in margaritas. It's also nice for sipping.

Ok my man - I've never had one single complaint with my margaritas - I learned how to make these on a beach in Venezuela during a heavy tropical storm (literally).

Tequila - Patron Silver... period. Actually you can use any good top shelf tequila, but stay away from "Cuervo Gold." There's no such thing as "Gold" tequila. Cuervo Gold is colored that way intentionally, not naturally. The only Tequila's are Blanco (white or silver (clear)), Reposado (rested, slightly tinted) and Anjeo (aged).

Now for the liqueur - Cointreau or Grand Mariner are always sure bets, but you may also want to try Patron Citronge. I found it to be just as flavorful as Cointreau and Granny, but considerably less expensive.

Next - "fresh" squeezed lime juice - not the bottled garbage.

And for the piece de resistance - sugar water. Mix 2 or 3 pars sugar to 1 part water. Do this on the stove and let cool before using. One shot in each drink. I know this may be difficult to make for a gift set, but belive me, it set's the drink off very nicely - makes it very smooth.

Your drinks can have different variations. You can combine a shot of each of said ingredients in a shaker with ice to combine, or you can combine equal parts in a blender full of ice. When I go the blender method, I never completely fill it with ice since I hate "frozen" drinks. I do, however, enjoy lots of loose shards of ice in my drink - about 3 to 4 times what you would see in a freshly shaken martini for example. Either way, I'm sure you will love this recipe yourself, as will others. Some prefer salt on the glass, others don't. I personally love it.

Now if you want to cheat with the base ingredients (the non-alcoholic ones) Margaritaville mix is the only one I really care to drink.

Hope this helps - bottoms up!

Ram,

Thanks for the instructions. Yeah, I figured it seemed the sugar syrup is needed. Couldn't find any pre-made. (Well, not with sugar - all corn syrup and crap). So she is gonna be own her on for that. I did send fresh limes, both key and regular for experimenting.

Eventually I just sent Casa Noble Crystal and El Tesoro Reposado. And a bottle of Cointreau.

-Mo

You should be good to go then. When I was in Venezuela, we made them with something called "Jaro De Gomme" (I think). Since I can't find it anywhere here or online, I've substituted the sugar water for it - although it is a loose match at best.

Thought I'd bring this thread back up because some of us down south like Mexican food for the holidays...

My favorite margarita involves:

Patron Silver
Cointreau
Citrus Mix (1/3 fresh squeezed key limes, 1/3 fresh squeezed oranges, 1/3 fresh squeezed lemons)

Pour the ingredients in a 1 to 1 ratio into a shaker filled with ice. A standard shaker will make two drinks (so 2 shots of tequila, 2 shots of Cointreau, 2 shots of citrus mix). Shake the mixture and then pour into a glass filled with fresh ice. Salt or sugar the glasses as you wish (but make sure to coat ONLY the outside rim, so no salt or sugar gets into the drink).

I like this recipe because you DO NOT need to add sugar. The sweetness of the key limes and the oranges is more than enough to make the drink smooth and delicious. The Patron Silver and the fresh squeezed juice make it a light and refreshing drink. Salud!

Thought I'd bring this thread back up because some of us down south like Mexican food for the holidays...

My favorite margarita involves:

Patron Silver
Cointreau
Citrus Mix (1/3 fresh squeezed key limes, 1/3 fresh squeezed oranges, 1/3 fresh squeezed lemons)

Pour the ingredients in a 1 to 1 ratio into a shaker filled with ice. A standard shaker will make two drinks (so 2 shots of tequila, 2 shots of Cointreau, 2 shots of citrus mix). Shake the mixture and then pour into a glass filled with fresh ice. Salt or sugar the glasses as you wish (but make sure to coat ONLY the outside rim, so no salt or sugar gets into the drink).

I like this recipe because you DO NOT need to add sugar. The sweetness of the key limes and the oranges is more than enough to make the drink smooth and delicious. The Patron Silver and the fresh squeezed juice make it a light and refreshing drink. Salud!

Sounds really good - I will try this one next time I want a margarita

The most important part is the Tequila. Just make sure its says on the bottle 100% Agave. I bought a nice bottle of Herradurra. I never thought that I would like Tequila neat, but its sooo delish just straight up.

I would recommend Hornitos or 1800 its not super expensive and 100% Agave. Using Patron or HerraDurra for a Margarita is almost like committing a crime. Should be enjoyed straight or on the rocks.

If your looking at a sipping Tequila I would recommend...
Herradura
Patron
Corazone
Don Julio

Everyone has their favorie recipe, and all are good. But...Here's mine:

2 shots tequila
1 ounce FRESH LIME JUICE ***It's the ONLY way*** BUY SOME LIMES
1 ounce Cointreau
Splash of Grand Marnier
..Shake well with lots of ice.. strain into glass full of ice
add small dash of Blue Curacao, poured in last, after mixing. (Optional.....For color)

This is how I serve them at my place and everyone LOVES them. Lots of ingedients, but well worth it.

As good as Grand Marinier is, I prefer cointreau or even cheap tripple sec for margaritas; sweeter and less need to add extra sugar.

Actually, the best Margarita I have ever made is the following: (After many trials, believe me.)

2 oz nice tequila - I like El Jimador reposado for these.
1 oz Agave syrup
1 oz fresh lime juice

Shake with ice, and strain into an appropriate glass.

The agave syrup can be a little tricky to find, if possible get the lighter coloured syrup. It gives it a sweetness consistent with the tequila, rather than the odd flavours from corn syrup or sucrose in the simple syrup.

I use Sauza Tres Generaciones plata as my general purpose tequila. With that I toss in equal parts Grand Marnier and DiSaranno, some fresh squeezed lime juice a little simple syrup. Shake shake shake - never make frozen margs, as it ruins the flavour. Rim with kosher salt and an extra wedge of lime. Blood orange wedge when I have it, which is sadly not often enough.

I agree with Jordan... I think Cointreau actually makes a better tasting marg, but I don't keep that on hand. I like GM for sipping, too, so I usually have that lying about instead.

The agave syrup can be a little tricky to find, if possible get the lighter coloured syrup. It gives it a sweetness consistent with the tequila, rather than the odd flavours from corn syrup or sucrose in the simple syrup.

Check out places like Whole Foods, or other organic/hippy grocery stores :wink: You can usually find alternative sweetners there pretty easily.

I'll have to give that a shot! I've been wanting to try agave syrup, but never really had an excuse to.

Triple sec will result in a slightly sourer taste of a margarita and grand mariner will be a bit sweeter. I hate using margarita mix and wouldn't really recommend it.

This has allready been said, but it bares repeteing, use fresh limes! A must for a good 'rita. I'm in the Cointreau camp, and the sugar/water camp as well. For a real treat float a shot of presidente brandy on the top. I've been told that my margaritas are the best ever tasted:blushing: Bottoms up.

Stick with the classics:

one part fresh lime juice

one part Triple Sec (Bols, won't break your budget)

three parts white/silver tequila (Jimador 100% agave strongly recommended)

This is fuerte, not too sweet.

As of the last year or so, I've been making nothing but a "coin-style" margarita.

I use only:

2 parts Top Shelf Tequila
1 part Cointreau
1 part Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice

Shake and strain over ice.

Top Bottom