What's new

Making the leap into straight razors.

Well, I took my first step into straight razors. I tried my hand with a Shavette and had relatively good luck with it with minimal weepers. I think I am but giving it a fair shake without just giving it a shot. I have ordered two vintage straights which should be shave ready. He was a reputable guy in another shave group that I belong to. I am on the hunt for a strop now. Searches have been all over map. I have thought about whipped dog but think I will be better off with a 3 inch strop as a beginner. I have also read that I shouldn't put to much money into one yet as I sound expect to nick it. One suggestion was for a really check one on fleabay but it was less than $9. What are your thoughts on this, does it matter what quality leather I use for a strop? Should I go with a paddle or a hanging one. Where can I get one for a price that if I cut into, it won't break my heart. Why advice would be helpful. I have some time before they arrive.

In my experience, the quality of the leather changes little if anything to the edge. It is more aesthetic and what feel/feedback you like. My first one came from SRD, which is now gone. Look at the BST and see if any are for sale for a reasonable price. I have heard many recommend whipped dog and good results associated. As for paddle or hanging, strictly personal preference. I would pick one and use it. Later try the other and see which you like better. I personally like the hanging strops. Also keep in mind that technique is critical and comes with time/experience.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
You will likely damage any strop you start with so best to start with a good, but inexpensive strop. If it gets damaged you are not out a lot of money but still had a serviceable tool to learn on.

Thanks guys, I see all kinds of cheap ones on the bay. I figured I would start with one of those but wasn't sure if the type of leather mattered.

Thanks guys, I see all kinds of cheap ones on the bay. I figured I would start with one of those but wasn't sure if the type of leather mattered.

I bought a used Illinois horse and linen strop $25. Yes you may nick it, but the old barbers nicked theirs also. You can sand the nick down. Just go slow and use a light stroke. I'd recommend one with a handle rather than a square end.

I bought a used Illinois horse and linen strop $25. Yes you may nick it, but the old barbers nicked theirs also. You can sand the nick down. Just go slow and use a light stroke. I'd recommend one with a handle rather than a square end.
That is almost $10 or $15 less than I have been seeing them for. Do you mind me asking where you found it? I assume form the bay of e?

Top Bottom