What's new

Making converts?

So last weekend my brass quintet was down in the Forth Worth area doing a bit of a recruiting trip for the U of Oklahoma. While we were in the hotel one night our tuba player was looking around and said "crap, anyone have any shaving cream?"

our trumpet player hadn't brought any, so I offered the tubist the use of my tiny travel brush and QED shave stick. After I explained how to use it to him he gave it a shot and managed in short order to get a mountain of lather out of it. I don't know if he's convinced enough to try buying any of the stuff on his own, but he seemed pretty happy with the result, even using his Mach 3.

Oh, and he really liked the scent on the shave stick. The scent in question? Rose Geranium. Heh.

I like Rose Geranium, too. Today I made 4 shaving sticks (to send to a couple of guys in Iraq): Fresh Lemon, Coffee Mocha, Vanilla Oak, and Peppermint. I used Honeybee Spa soaps, which I melted and poured into containers I got from Mama Bear ("Containers" on her site). If you do this, be sure to rub a lubricant on the inside walls of the container before pouring the soap. I use silicone grease. The shaving sticks are great.

BTW, my motivation in writing the book (link below) was to help people win converts---I thought the book, which someone could read in privacy and at leisure, would be more convincing than a talk, which might inspire counter-arguments. I'm hoping to see it given around on Father's Day. :smile:

Cool story E.J. This Okie State fan won't even hold it against you that you've chosen the lesser university. :biggrin:

Cool story E.J. This Okie State fan...snip!

:thumbdown :a13:

:lol:

Back on topic: I think I made a small convert from my wife. We were shopping in the mall today and we walk into C&E and she picked out two new soaps for me, Sweet Almond and Sienna.

Sienna's a good scent. I've just been so busy trying out other stuff that I haven't bothered to replace my bottle of Sienna AS.

Lending people soap and a brush is a good plan. Don't be too surprised when they get good results with a cartridge razor- if it is already doing the job OK for them, a good soap or cream will only make it do better, with all the hydration of the bristles, exfoliation with the brush, etc. In fact, plenty of people all over the world wetshave with a cheap boar brush, a cheap and cheerful stick of soap like Palmolive, and a multiblade razor, and get very good results. If cartridge razors were not incredibly easy to use, and able to do a pretty good job, they would not be as popular as they are, no matter how hard they were marketed.

through the use of some coercion, I've been able to convert a sister or two and hopefully a brother to shaving with a DE. it's taken different means of convincing them. like one of my sisters I told her it was more eco friendly (because she's vegetarian) and i knew should would like that.

My sister took one sniff of my tangerine/spearmint QED shave stick and it disappeared, along with the old Burma-Shave brush that I never use anymore. I think the last present I gave her was a Gillette ladies' DE and about half my IPs.

I have made two converts so far. My gf and my father. Dad used a DE back in the 60's when he started out. I got him an SS and a boar hair brush. Alil bit of cream out of my stash and ASB. Hes a happy man. I think Im gonna get him a Pure Badger Shavemac and AOS cream for fathers day.

The GF bought me so much stuff that she just tried it and liked everything. The quality of the creams and smoothness of the shave.

Ohhh and my buddy is looking for a brush. I got him using KMF instead of goo. Its a start right?

Ohhh and my buddy is looking for a brush. I got him using KMF instead of goo. Its a start right?

That's a great start! Keep up the good work!
My dad just started laughing when I told him how much time it takes and then tried to justify that I actually enjoy it as a hobby. :cool:

Heh. My dad has worn a full beard since college. He shaves part of his cheeks about once a week with a Norelco electric. I don't think I'll be talking him into trying a DE anytime soon.

Heh. My dad has worn a full beard since college. He shaves part of his cheeks about once a week with a Norelco electric. I don't think I'll be talking him into trying a DE anytime soon.

Shave half of his face while he's asleep. Then he'll have to listen to you.

The rest think I'm nuts. They think I'm behind the times. They see the Cartridge Razors (CR) as the newest, greatest, most convenient thing to come down the pike since sliced bread. Why they put up with paying $17 for 8 cartridges, I'll never know why. When I hear $17.00 that's shaving cream to me. :001_tt1:

The one convert I did get was my sister. She now shaves her legs with a DE, thanks to me. :biggrin:

Top Bottom