boiled in 1cup water / 1 cup white vinegar

blended with:
2 avocados
bunch of cilantro
salt
juice of one small lime
additional water/vinegar for consistency

That sounds great Josh.

I usually start mine on the grill, charring the skins for easy peeling and adding great flavor to the end product. I'll throw tomatoes, large jalepenos, a few serranos, a large poblano, a tomatillo, and a large white onion on the grill. A couple of garlic cloves and some cilantro go into the blender with the veggies. I don't add water or vinegar to mine since I have the tomatoes for the liquid (if I make more of a green salsa by omitting the tomatoes and using more tomatillos, I'll add a little water and a tablespoon of blanco tequila just to loosen it up), but I will add lime juice to the mix and kosher salt to taste. I will sometimes add some frozen sweet corn and black beans after coming out of the blender, but not all the time. We rarely work from recipes around here, so I don't have any more details than that.

With a wife and two teens in the house that all appreciate spicy food, I don't have to worry about it lasting long enough to go bad.

Last edited:
The newest batch is

7 serrano peppers & thick slice of onion char grilled over the coals
boiled with
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup white vinegar
Salt to taste and a couple tbs of the previous jalapeno/lime sauce for good measure.

I made one of those by soaking habaneros in oil and then draining it.

Now I can't take spicy food at all, my stomach doesn't allow anything. But I still remember rubbing my eye after scrubbing my hands for hours. It hurt for days...

Of course I was like 10 years old and gloves never occurred to me...

I did it! Made your original recipe for the habanero hot sauce and it turned out fantastic.

proxy.php

I've been inspired by this thread, despite the fact that I tend to have heartburn troubles and I am picky with hot sauces. I just picked up some growing kits for Ghost chilis, and hopefully I can get some more with Trinidad Scorpions soon.
These oughtta make some hot sauces when they're ready!
:mad5:

Googling "make your own Hot Sauce" leads me right back to B&B, of course.

Should have started in the mess hall in the first place!

We did a batch with Walla Walla Sweet onion, jalapenos and threw in a little peach preserves. Awesome!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I missed that one! Nice one! I need to grow my chilies and do this!

I'm due to make some more myself. Josh has the concept down and playing around with it is so simple :thumbup:

Protip:

I made a habanero hot sauce that my wife named Dragon's Breath. Magic occurred. Here's my story.

My plant was putting out a ton of peppers and I couldn't keep up with consumption/drying them/gifting them to the few hardy souls that would take them so I needed to do something. Sauce. I'll make sauce.

Recipe? What's that? I'll go online and look for a few trends but none of that wussy recipe stuff for me.

So I removed the stems from all of them, de-seeded the majority of them, put them into a food processor with some vinegar, pureed the lot, added some (kosher?) salt, blended again, watched the wife leave the house cursing my name because her eyes were watering (even upstairs), then I began looking for somewhere to put the resulting liquid.

Here's where things got interesting. So, while looking for a container that I wouldn't mind being the home to the sauce for an extended duration, possibly permanently stained orange, and maybe even ruined forever because future things stored in said container could taste like fire/death/destruction I came across a mostly empty plastic greek yogurt tub. I had no spare glass containers and this was it or a nice tupperware that I didn't have faith in, nor the authority to tie it up for the weeks/months it would take me to finish off the sauce. Moreover, I'd read about people making their own Siracha sauce and some of the recipes involved fermentation.

So, into the greek yogurt tub the mix goes. I didn't wash it or rinse it or even scrape the yogurt remnants out. Don't get me wrong, the yogurt wasn't spoiled or smelly, it just was the bottom of the barrel/tub that precedes the "let's throw this out and get more" phase. I leave it on the counter with the lid cracked and let it do it's thing. Which it does. Basically the slowest fermentation I've ever seen. Occasional bubbles would form and linger for a day or so, then die and be replaced by more. All the while the smell developed into a myriad of delicious notes and spicy hits (never stinky!) that spoke of good things to come.

Two weeks or so later I pop it in the fridge and start enjoying it. And boy did I! It was delicious and took only the slightest dab to add a great heat/flavor to soups or what have you. The yogurt/fermentation did much to mellow the flavor of the sauce that I suspect would otherwise have been a fiery, inedible paste. The sauce lasted a long time, good to the last drop or so they say.

Try it. I don't think you'll regret it.

Did another batch, the wife requested "Sweet". Added a couple TBS brown sugar and a glob of catsup while nobody was looking.

So far, it's a hit!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I made a batch of this, and it was so bloody hot that no one would even touch the bottle! :lol:
Maybe I got some particularly zingy peppers.

Top Bottom