What's new

Maintenance of a Straight for a noob.

Yes I'm in the Sabbatical so this is just a rhetorical question :blushing:
I had a couple of goes with a straight I bought a while back then ended up putting it in a PIF but I want to have another go.
My issue is maintenance.
If I buy (whoops, I mean trade) a straight and a strop, how long will the edge last before I need to send it away for a hone?
I live in New Zealand and don't know of any people I would trust to do a great job (if fact don't know anyone who even does it).
I would be willing to send it overseas if it was only every couple of months or so as I will be using SEs and DEs as well.

Thanks for your time as you can tell I have no clue on the subject and am so fussy about having things done properly I don't want to necessarily get in to getting all the kit and learning to hone etc myself (famous last words)

That really depends on how sharp your edge is in the first place. Another factor I've found is the type of blade(or brand). In my experience for instance, I have to hone some of my newer razors more often than my vintage ones(but even they vary).
For a truly 'shave ready' edge, I usually strop before and after every use, and hone approx every two months, but sometimes I let them slide even longer than that as long as they are not too tuggy.

Granted, I usually only shave with a straight a couple times a week. It might also be wise to learn how to hone yourself and save yourself some dough in the long run, and also the invaluable experience of doing it yourself but of course that is a personal preference.

so I'm in the same boat - just bought a razor -needs honing - will send it off but what kind of strop and paste to keep an edge?? and what would bu the most cost efficient way to have it honed?

Get a pasted strop and it will maintain the edge for a very long time

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
CrOx on balsa is cheap but very good for keeping a edge going.
When you start out your edges may not last as long as they will with taking straight for a few hundred laps around you face.
If you have another crack at using a straight, then I could help you out with a free touch up honing, you just pay return shipping.
There are a few options for honing in NZ but I have not used any of them.

I get the feeling that your Sabbatical is going to be like most peoples New Years resolutions.........

Top Bottom