What's new

Maggard MR1 Head Problems

Evening DE Users!!!!!

Im wondering if anybody else has had problems getting razor blades to sit in the head properly. I know they warn to not over tighten the head and I know thats not my problem here. The razor kind of makes a noise like its just not sitting quite right, and it looks like the blade gap is a little smaller on one of the sides. I would have contacted Maggard but I bought it used off of the BST. I have always had to put a different head on the handle I got because it seems like its just not very well made and is a little high maintenance. Anybody else experience this?

Contact Brad at Maggard. He will be happy to help. You sometimes do have to manually adjust the blade to balance both sides before tightening it down.

The Maggard heads are definately not top quality but in all fairness they tell you so on their website. I just bought a MR3, mainly for the handle, and stored the head for future "emergency" use. The blade requires futzing to get properly aligned but once it is aligned it sits in the head as well as any other razor I own. The hole for the cap pins are just barely adequate, they are very thin and irregular at inner edges where contact is made with the pins; I can see that they might eventually provide a loose fit and require the cap to be manually centered as well as the blade. It's really a shame to go to the trouble and expense of producing an inferior razor head in my opinion; for a few dollars more in price Maggard could have a razor that competes with Weber.

The Maggard heads are definately not top quality but in all fairness they tell you so on their website. I just bought a MR3, mainly for the handle, and stored the head for future "emergency" use. The blade requires futzing to get properly aligned but once it is aligned it sits in the head as well as any other razor I own. The hole for the cap pins are just barely adequate, they are very thin and irregular at inner edges where contact is made with the pins; I can see that they might eventually provide a loose fit and require the cap to be manually centered as well as the blade. It's really a shame to go to the trouble and expense of producing an inferior razor head in my opinion; for a few dollars more in price Maggard could have a razor that competes with Weber.

I agree, I knew when I bought it that I probably wouldnt be using the head, but Id like to if I wanted. I dont want to put them down as I love and respect what they are doing but I fully agree with you when you say that if they put a few more dollars into the head they would have one bad-arse razor on their hands!

p.s. I dont think its appropriate for me to contact them about a razor that I bought used when I could have bought it new for less then $20 from them... lol

I have an MR1, and typically don't have to do much to align the blade. Maybe I got a good one. Regardless, the razor shaves very well for me and was a great way to get started. It's the only DE I have, and I don't really plan to purchase any more (one for travel perhaps).

While perhaps a "few dollars more" (also a great movie) would better align the razor, keep in mind that this razor is sub $20. A few dollars more would be a pretty high % increase in the overall cost. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but I imagine they did their homework on what they felt was acceptable and went with it.

Another question: when you purchased the razor, did the seller mention anything about the head having issues?

Yes, Maggard states very openly that the blade is likely to have to be manually aligned and the finish isn't that great; actually the finish is great where it matters and not so much only in areas where it doesn't matter like under the base and under the cap. They are very up front about their product and I have nothing but respect for them but if they made some improvements and bumped the price even to $30 they would still have the best deal in town.

I have an MR1, and typically don't have to do much to align the blade. Maybe I got a good one. Regardless, the razor shaves very well for me and was a great way to get started. It's the only DE I have, and I don't really plan to purchase any more (one for travel perhaps).

While perhaps a "few dollars more" (also a great movie) would better align the razor, keep in mind that this razor is sub $20. A few dollars more would be a pretty high % increase in the overall cost. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but I imagine they did their homework on what they felt was acceptable and went with it.

Another question: when you purchased the razor, did the seller mention anything about the head having issues?

Yes, Maggard states very openly that the blade is likely to have to be manually aligned and the finish isn't that great; actually the finish is great where it matters and not so much only in areas where it doesn't matter like under the base and under the cap. They are very up front about their product and I have nothing but respect for them but if they made some improvements and bumped the price even to $30 they would still have the best deal in town.

I dont want anybody to get me wrong here. Maggard Razors is an awesome company IMHO. This thread is not in any way to take away from the awesome and affordable product they offer. Even the small interactions that I have had with their customer service when I have had questions HAS BEEN GREAT!!! I just wondered, thats all. The seller did not say anything about the head having issues aligning, but again, I love the handle, use it everyday with my EJ89 head. I read their website and knew that they were open about the head having some issues. Love the handle, wish the head worked better.

Maggard customer service is excellent, their razors however are not. Having to align the blade manually sucks, even a little off and the shave is subpar. The top plate on mine is suffering from Zamak rot and the plating on the handle is peeling badly. My Razorock Mission ($19.99 with 20 blades) is a hundred times better, I even like it more than my EJ de89L. I also have a Weber polished and a Feather AS-D2. My favorites in order are Weber, Feather, Razorock, Edwin Jagger and last the Maggard.

Top Bottom