What's new

Madness

B

Barney14

I hadn't been on this site for a while

I was happily using a GC .68, GSBs, a Yaqi synthetic brush and Prorasso green cream.

Then I decided for some unknown reason to have a look on here and read a few posts, next thing ....

I ended up buying 2 x vintage 7o'clock OCs, one for travelling one for home.
So naturally I bought a Muhle plastic case case for the travel razor.

I then bought an A2S dscosmetics synthetic brush and of course another for travelling, a Simpson travel tube was a necessity and duly purchased.

So being sensible I bought a second razor and brush stand for travelling.

I then needed a larger wash bag to put the razor, brush and stand in.

Then I bought some blades, 50 Minora, 50 Voskhod, 50 Nacet and 100 Gillette yellows, plus another 50 or so mixed Russian blades, that's on top of a load of GSBs I already had.

I read about Prorasso pre shave and balm here, you guessed it I bought them and then some more of the blue one.

I'm hoping one day to be able to walk away from this site and all its temptations.

Look at it on the bright side. Shaving gear, even the high end stuff, is cheap as far as material possessions go. There's watches, AV equipment, cars, etc. All costing many, many times more. Even my smartphone which I upgrade yearly costs several times than a $300 razor.

B

Barney14

Look at it on the bright side. Shaving gear, even the high end stuff, is cheap as far as material possessions go. There's watches, AV equipment, cars, etc. All costing many, many times more. Even my smartphone which I upgrade yearly costs several times than a $300 razor.
It's not the money, it's the urge to buy more shaving stuff that's worrying 😐

Ah, that's just being human: the fears of missing out and of not having enough.

But it is true this forum is a major enabler. I wouldn't have FOMO about the Russian PPI razor blades without reading about their situation on BB. And now that I have tried them and realized it doesn't mean that much to me personally, I suppose I will find something else to be curious about. Maybe a cool shaving soap. LOL.

B

Barney14

Ah, that's just being human: the fears of missing out and of not having enough.

But it is true this forum is a major enabler. I wouldn't have FOMO about the Russian PPI razor blades without reading about their situation on BB. And now that I have tried them and realized it doesn't mean that much to me personally, I suppose I will find something else to be curious about. Maybe a cool shaving soap. LOL.
Yes Russian blades before they were all gone.... madness 😠

Be glad you discovered your weaknesses early on. Recognize the threads that tempt you to purchase more and avoid them.

For me personally, I avoid the GRUME threads. They feature many beautiful pictures of hardware and software that tempt me to purchase more. Usually, those purchases turn out to not perform as well as the products I've settled on.

Be happy with what you have and focus on the threads and sub forums that won't tempt you but that you can still participate in and enjoy without feeling like you need to buy something new. 🍻

Edited to add: I've also found that it helps to wait 24 hours between adding something to your cart and actually making the purchase. Many times I look at what I put in a cart the night before and realize I don't need it at all and forgo the purchase.

This place can be enabling, but it also is a great, helpful community that possesses a great deal of knowledge, compassion, and humor.

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I hadn't been on this site for a while

I was happily using a GC .68, GSBs, a Yaqi synthetic brush and Prorasso green cream.

Then I decided for some unknown reason to have a look on here and read a few posts, next thing ....

I ended up buying 2 x vintage 7o'clock OCs, one for travelling one for home.
So naturally I bought a Muhle plastic case case for the travel razor.

I then bought an A2S dscosmetics synthetic brush and of course another for travelling, a Simpson travel tube was a necessity and duly purchased.

So being sensible I bought a second razor and brush stand for travelling.

I then needed a larger wash bag to put the razor, brush and stand in.

Then I bought some blades, 50 Minora, 50 Voskhod, 50 Nacet and 100 Gillette yellows, plus another 50 or so mixed Russian blades, that's on top of a load of GSBs I already had.

I read about Prorasso pre shave and balm here, you guessed it I bought them and then some more of the blue one.

I'm hoping one day to be able to walk away from this site and all its temptations.

Ahh, your post brings me so much joy! If you have a look at my supply thread, you will see how I have also gone off the deep end in my purchases. I have a dozen razors, 5 brushes, 4 shave bowls, at least 20 shave soaps, and a bunch of aftershaves as well. And you mentioned blades, well, I literally have the towers of blade a lon in my medicine cabinet. 1000-blades and counting.

Once you fall down the proverbial rabbit hole, thats how you know you are one of us. As an enabler myself, I am the one you go to, when you need help to spend more money. But at the end of the day, this traditional wet shaving hobby is fun, and as long as you have quality water to help you create luxurious lather with your soap and creams, your all set.

Have fun!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm sorry to be the first to tell you this, but you're going to die someday - hopefully many, many years down the road, but it's coming. Don't lose your opportunity to spend some money! Why else go to work????

I suggest you spend enough time reading about watches to end up with an Omega on your wrist - then you'll realize this shaving stuff is cheap. :eek2:

I'm perplexed by the volume of recent posts blaming B&B for dragging people down the rabbit hole of purchases. As represented here, there are many ways to shave and perspectives about shaving goals. If you are interested in trying new stuff, that is great! If that stuff doesn't work out, sell it. In most cases, the money lost to buy and sell a product equates to a minuscule loss. If you can't afford to spend on shaving gear, have some self-control and don't purchase any. It seems that most people reach a point where they have the right amount of shaving gear for their goals, and in some cases, thin down or use up selection to get to a comfortable baseline. Some of these posts are the equivalent of posting on Facebook that you aren't going to post on Facebook! If you are concerned about spending too much and have determined that B&B encourages you to spend, don't visit B&B! We are all adults here, at least old enough to shave. Some are older, very successful men. Others are looking for a cheap shave. Whatever your situation, do what works for you. I do not understand complaining about being weak-willed on a forum of people who have and enjoy all aspects of shaving.

I'm perplexed by the volume of recent posts blaming B&B for dragging people down the rabbit hole of purchases. As represented here, there are many ways to shave and perspectives about shaving goals. If you are interested in trying new stuff, that is great! If that stuff doesn't work out, sell it. In most cases, the money lost to buy and sell a product equates to a minuscule loss. If you can't afford to spend on shaving gear, have some self-control and don't purchase any. It seems that most people reach a point where they have the right amount of shaving gear for their goals, and in some cases, thin down or use up selection to get to a comfortable baseline. Some of these posts are the equivalent of posting on Facebook that you aren't going to post on Facebook! If you are concerned about spending too much and have determined that B&B encourages you to spend, don't visit B&B! We are all adults here, at least old enough to shave. Some are older, very successful men. Others are looking for a cheap shave. Whatever your situation, do what works for you. I do not understand complaining about being weak-willed on a forum of people who have and enjoy all aspects of shaving.
Keeping up with the Joneses is not a new phenomenon. And I'd be lying if I said the best part of getting a new razor wasn't telling other guys about your first shave with it on this forum. It could be worse. We could all be pill addicts, for example.

Top Bottom