What's new

Made a razor stand, opinions please.

Felt or no felt?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I threw together a simple stand with some oak I had laying around and put a satin poly on it. I think the green felt adds some visual interest, my wife says it also looks fine without the felt. I dry my razors so the felt will stay dry. What say you, with or without the green felt? Thanks!

20220315_114949.jpg

20220315_115032.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I threw together a simple stand with some oak I had laying around and put a satin poly on it. I think the green felt adds some visual interest, my wife says it also looks fine without the felt. I dry my razors so the felt will stay dry. What say you, with or without the green felt? Thanks!

View attachment 1424427

View attachment 1424428
Looks very nice, you do not need the felt because wood is softer than the razor metal and could down the road start to mildew or mold. Looks like you have room for expansion of a few more razors down the road also.:thumbsup:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
The majority appears to agree with me, I believe that it looks best with no felt. I also agree with the others that, if you use the felt, it could hold moisture and cause corrosion.

I think its pretty neat how you made that! Give a man a piece of wood, and he will make something out of it. And your creativity is rewarded, as you now have an apparatus which holds your favorite razors. :)

That's one nice piece you've created!
You're both right, it looks fine as it is, but the felt definitely adds "visual interest". I personally prefer the look of the felt. From what you're saying about drying the razors, it's apparent that you use them regularly, which means that they will not be sitting stationary in extended storage, and the felt is also in the open, so unless you will have this stand in a place that is never dry or exposed to open air, I think you'll be OK. Looks like the felt is easily removed, so if you do start having a problem or you change your mind you can just remove the felt and tell your wife that she was right (again). :)
Which ever way you go, you've got a winner there, great job!👍

The felt looks nice, imho, but the mentioned concerns about it pulling and holding moisture from the bathroom air are valid. I don't think it's necessary, but if you really wanted to put some kind of cushioning material in there, strips of cork might be a better option. Or possibly strips of soft silicone, cut from some kitchen item.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I would do without the felt. And if you can sand down or use a router around the edge of the razor holders it would look even better. Nice job!

I would do without the felt. And if you can sand down or use a router around the edge of the razor holders it would look even better. Nice job!
I'll consider that for v2.0. I have 4 routers 👍

Thanks all for the voting and comments! I have a v2.0 in mind for the future. Looks like no felt is winning so far.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Here's V2. No finish on it yet.
View attachment 1432134

I really like the base of the stand, very nice. I can't wait to see this thing with a nice dark finish applied to it, what you going to use, enamel base for the finish? Or are you going to go exotic and do an clear epoxy based finish? Whatever you do, don't use a stain, I think you know, stain stinks like heck, and it never stops stinking.

Very nice!

To the original question: Razors don't rust. Corrosion will only effect zamac that has lost it's plating.

So, I like the felt. It's presence or absence is largely irrelevant, unless someone is dropping their shaver in a slot with only minimal rinsing and no drying, in which case you may have mold develop in the felt, based on the ambient humidity of where you live.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Interesting, looks very solid & well designed. Unless your photo is playing tricks with my eyes you top support looks Concaved a few degrees.
Good eye! (At least that's what I thought it looked like!)

You do beautiful work, @sed6 !

I like the contrast of the green felt best. Especially since you don't store wet razors on it.

Top Bottom