What's new

Mach 3 Generics

So today I noticed that my local supermarket has started selling carts that fit Mach 3 handles. And it explicitly states that they fit mach 3 handles!

Tesco Triple Blade Advance 8 Pack Blades - Groceries - Tesco Groceries

So I assume this means that the patent has expired? can we expect more?

and has anyone used the tesco cart? (I assume they are manufactured by someone else so maybe another brand)Looked ok, decent blade spacing, although I don't like the sound of the lubricating gel, reminds me of the wilkinson sword hydro goo (

I purchased the walmart brand generics which fit my Mach3 handle. They were ok, larger in size but delivered the same performance I remember.

I had to purchase them for a trip where I was flying and had to clear TSA.

-Stephen

Those have been popping up all over the place lately. They're actually made by Schick (a.k.a. Wilkinson Sword in Europe), who quietly do a lot of "private label" manufacturing of store brand razors. The same cartridge you're showing in that link is also the "Mach 3 compatible" Walmart store brand, Kroger (large American grocery store chain), CVS (big pharmacy chain), and probably others.

Believe it or not, it's literally just a Schick Hydro 3 cartridge, with the back slightly adapted to fit on a Mach 3 handle. Grab a Hydro 3 off the shelf and look at the photos side-by-side.

I grabbed a pack of these awhile back, out of curiosity, before I knew their origins. If I'd known they were Schick's, then I wouldn't have. About 15-20 years ago, I tried a Schick "Xtreme" razor (with blades that are supposed to "flex"), and it was the worst razor I've ever used in my life. I looked like I had been attacked with garden tools! About 5 years later I checked out a Quattro (with the weird wires over the blades), and it wasn't much better. I wrote off Schick as being a garbage brand, and avoided them entirely for well over a decade.

Much to my surprise though, they've become my favorite cartridge maker now. These Hydro 3's are pretty awesome in my book. I was a little skeptical at first, because they don't quite look as "premium" as a Mach 3 cartridge (they kinda look more like a Lego block), but the performance has been great. Closer shave, with less irritation, and they tend to last me about a month each.

And I never would have given them a chance, if they hadn't "sneaked them by me" under a different brand name! Since then I've bought an actual Hydro 3 handle, to go along with my Gillette Mach 3 handle. I buy either the "real" Hydro 3 carts, or the store-brand Mach 3 versions, depending on which one is in stock at the better price.

The CVS version is called the "Torq 3." As BadMoonRosin noted, they're quite good -- I prefer them to the "real" Gillette model. I've also seen them at Wegman's under yet another brand name. I haven't pushed one of them past the 2-week point as yet, but I've never gotten that many shaves out of any other cart I've tried.

I have the Tesco version, it's interesting that Mach3 carts don't fit this handle. The carts fit the Mach3 but not as good as a Mach3 cart. I have yet to give the new handle or carts a spin.

Top Bottom