What's new

Macduff birthday sale(soap)

I wanted to get another session in with Spring Cabin while the discussion is still fresh.

I grabbed my big 26mm badger and my scale and loaded 1.5g of soap. My standard load is 1g to start with so I have some testing standardisation. Generally, I am loading water a little at a time and I go until it looks hydrated then one more round. This is somewhere around 12-15:1 water:soap. With this one at about 8:1, I got some large bubbles again but it still needed some more water. I was able to tamp them down fully and add one more round of water up to 10:1, this felt like the minimum I could get away with. As a review, this is now the same amount of water that I used previously, but with 50% more soap!

As it turned out this wasn't just the minimum, it was just about optimum. I painted this on thick and yoghurty, but there was no running at all and it felt wet on my face. I think the big difference here from Omnibus is that it can hold a range of hydration while maintaining it's consistency. I think this has something to do with some of the unpronounceable ingredients. When I use Omnibus, I am hydrating it until it is dripping wet. But it too requires more product. Ultimately I didn't need any more than I use with Omnibus, but also no less. I like to figure this stuff out once, carefully, then just use it however the next time(without measurements).

Performance wise, the extra soap did the trick. I haven't re-read my initial review, but there is sufficient slickness. Both primary and residual, I tested by re-wetting an area. I don't find it to be as slick as Zingari Man, but that might not be a negative. I frequently have trouble gripping my skin when I need to stretch an area with that one. So called protection is definitely top level, but I can only tell between artisan soaps and basic stuff really. What matters a lot to me is lather stability and it's up there too. I can't rank it at the absolute top because it does dry a little bit if you are slow like me. The good news is you can just ignore it and keep shaving or spray some water if you have a bottle. It doesn't immediately dilute and run off along with any protection. It also doesn't flake even when slightly dry which I consider a major flaw that is common in many mass produced soaps. I was very impressed with the post shave feel, it is my definition of neutral on my face; neither dry nor super fatted, just natural.

I appreciate the above scent descriptions as I am smelling the same thing and a bit confused, I guess I should have got the Shave Supply collaboration one. Not that this is bad, but not like the description.

@APBinNCA the scent descriptions for MacDuff are rarely accurate IME. I think this is partly because Shawn uses naturals as much as possible and that can make it hard to get the descriptions to match reality in the tub. Think of it more like a fragrance ingredient list. If you've ever used Eufros or Tallow&Steel, who both also use mostly exclusively naturals (EOs, absolutes, etc) then you'll know it is common for those producers. On producers that use artificial FOs (not naming names here) that can nail an hommage scent, they can describe/predict exactly what a tub will smell like.

I actually vastly prefer McD, Eufros, T&S personally even if it means that I will have to experiement more and will likely buy a few where I don't love the scent. Good news is that V4 is so good that the hardship is minimal. ;)

Top Bottom