What's new

Macduff birthday sale(soap)

Just got the email for all those who may be curious about this small soaper. 20% off from 5pm MDT tonight-5pm Monday. Free shipping is 80 loonies and keep in mind that the shipping below that is not cheap. The shipping on one set only will eat the whole 20% savings. I buy mine from Shave Supply in the US.

I have never heard of them. Can you tell me more about their shaving soaps? Are they worth the money? In your opinion, what is their best product? Why?

I have never heard of them. Can you tell me more about their shaving soaps? Are they worth the money? In your opinion, what is their best product? Why?
I just got one set last week based on a recommendation from somebody I trust. I decided not to put up any commentary because I can’t recommend them myself until further testing. You kind of have to look at the ingredients and the scents and decide if sounds like something you would like. Sorry I can’t be more helpful, I can’t even describe the lather at this point.

Here is a picture of the lather. I was going to try to write a quick review, but unable to gather enough thoughts.

full

In the tub, this is a croap and it is very similar to Declaration Grooming. The soap initially lathers up quickly, but does seem to require more effort to tamp down large bubbles. This is similar to soaps with coconut as their primary oil, but this one is castor oil based. The soap takes as much water as I require, but again takes some work to beat down the bubbles. They probably aren't a detriment, just a sign that I am nearing maximum hydration. The lather sits light on the face similar to Ethos, but with a bit of light volume. Though not a goopy density. The amount of soap used is in the moderate range, much less than Omnibus so it should be more economical. The residual slickness is good, but re-wetting the area will wash it off so it is best to just keep going or apply more lather. The primary slickness is sufficient, this is one area that I don't feel I have enough experience yet to discuss. Lather stability is also sufficient, no flaking was observed. Residual slickness and and rinse off are my most important criteria for a soap. If I can't keep shaving an area without having to keep adding lather then it's not going to work for me, I usually just spray water and keep going. Rinse off is a bit of a difficult, and potentially subjective, thing to rate, but if I have to keep splashing water until I am standing in a puddle I may pass on the soap. I think the best way I can describe this soap is that it behaves more like good vegan soap, but just happens to have tallow in it. Again, the rinse off is relatively easy unlike some tallow soaps and I think this is indicative of it not being as super fatted. The soap has a lot of different butters in it which I have mixed feeling about, but I think I can detect the mango. The post shave is pretty nice, but not that skin clogging super fat feeling.

How's that for a "not a review!?" I guess I formulated a review the more I typed. I am not sure that I like or dislike this soap overall, that's the problem with not having enough time with it. The scent is moderate like SV, but simpler and not perfume like. I have an after shave sample of another one that I think I like even better, there are a couple that are popular with the few people who have reviewed this brand. Oh speaking of aftershave, it's unfortunately a non alcohol splash and it's the milky kind. I have started using low scent alcohol aftershaves and following them up with these non alcohol ones that match the soap for their (supposed)skin benefits. This one is not sticky when applied, but upon initial drying it borders on it. Nothing like some Prorasso stuff though. It leaves a skin feel similar to many high end super fatted soaps, but in this case requiring the extra step of using the splash. Or not if you don't care for it. At least it doesn't leave my face glossy, just a little unnaturally soft.

I was already a massive fan and owner of McD before the sale, but I went long on this one. Bought a bunch of the shave soaps and soap bars.

The best way to describe McD soaps is that they are indeed similar to DG in consistency, but IMO, the soap performance is even better, the scents are generally better and it is MUCH cheaper, especially if purchased in a sale like this. I think the 5oz puck came out to less than $16 USD. For a soap base that may very well be among the very best in the market, that is a crazy deal.

Here is a picture of the lather. I was going to try to write a quick review, but unable to gather enough thoughts.

full

In the tub, this is a croap and it is very similar to Declaration Grooming. The soap initially lathers up quickly, but does seem to require more effort to tamp down large bubbles. This is similar to soaps with coconut as their primary oil, but this one is castor oil based. The soap takes as much water as I require, but again takes some work to beat down the bubbles. They probably aren't a detriment, just a sign that I am nearing maximum hydration. The lather sits light on the face similar to Ethos, but with a bit of light volume. Though not a goopy density. The amount of soap used is in the moderate range, much less than Omnibus so it should be more economical. The residual slickness is good, but re-wetting the area will wash it off so it is best to just keep going or apply more lather. The primary slickness is sufficient, this is one area that I don't feel I have enough experience yet to discuss. Lather stability is also sufficient, no flaking was observed. Residual slickness and and rinse off are my most important criteria for a soap. If I can't keep shaving an area without having to keep adding lather then it's not going to work for me, I usually just spray water and keep going. Rinse off is a bit of a difficult, and potentially subjective, thing to rate, but if I have to keep splashing water until I am standing in a puddle I may pass on the soap. I think the best way I can describe this soap is that it behaves more like good vegan soap, but just happens to have tallow in it. Again, the rinse off is relatively easy unlike some tallow soaps and I think this is indicative of it not being as super fatted. The soap has a lot of different butters in it which I have mixed feeling about, but I think I can detect the mango. The post shave is pretty nice, but not that skin clogging super fat feeling.

How's that for a "not a review!?" I guess I formulated a review the more I typed. I am not sure that I like or dislike this soap overall, that's the problem with not having enough time with it. The scent is moderate like SV, but simpler and not perfume like. I have an after shave sample of another one that I think I like even better, there are a couple that are popular with the few people who have reviewed this brand. Oh speaking of aftershave, it's unfortunately a non alcohol splash and it's the milky kind. I have started using low scent alcohol aftershaves and following them up with these non alcohol ones that match the soap for their (supposed)skin benefits. This one is not sticky when applied, but upon initial drying it borders on it. Nothing like some Prorasso stuff though. It leaves a skin feel similar to many high end super fatted soaps, but in this case requiring the extra step of using the splash. Or not if you don't care for it. At least it doesn't leave my face glossy, just a little unnaturally soft.
Interesting. Your experience is very different from mine with this soap. I think we must lather quite differently. I am guessing I load the soap with a drier brush than you, and I am probably loading more soap as a result (I soak my badger, squeeze it out fairly firmly but don’t squeeze the tips). I am also face lathering. I get a gluey, sometimes stringy consistency on my brush and when applied to my face it is initially quite dry and gummy. Then I add water from there. I’ve never had even the smallest bubble appear in this soap the way I’ve used it. For me it behaved much more like B&M Omnibus, and I actually only have the concern that it won’t last long - the opposite of what you found. I also get very good residual slickness - at least I thought so - but maybe that’s because I’m working with a thicker lather.

I should try it with a wetter brush and see what’s different. Sounds like I can get a much faster lather and use less product, but it will be more of a conventional lather.

I definitely agree that it rinses off cleanly at the end and leaves no sticky residue, but leaves a very nice skin feel.

Summer Cabin is a better scent than Spring Cabin, in my opinion. Kanaskis Explorer and Old Strathcona are great too if you like wilderness style scents. Prairie Rum Runner is an interesting darker bay rum variant and the aftershave splash smells much more bay rummy and is fantastic for bay rum fans. I like the Rose Gold too, quite low-key and slightly fruity for a rose scent. My favourite is Lilacs In Bloom, which I didn’t expect - it is somehow a very cosy and comforting lilac scent and I find it compelling for some reason, even though I’m usually not big on lilac. I’d say Summer Cabin is equally good and probably would have wider appeal than the lilac.

I don’t love Whyte Saffron - it’s mostly a coconut scent. Trail Tobacco was a bit dull and ashtray-like for me, and Backcountry Bourbon is more tobacco and chocolate to my nose. Raspberry Metheglin smells a little artificial to me but it’s kinda nice. Birch & Root is very definitely rootbeer - very nice but probably a bit of a gimmick.

I was already a massive fan and owner of McD before the sale, but I went long on this one. Bought a bunch of the shave soaps and soap bars.
I am glad you were able to take advantage of the sale, I kind of had to rush post it.
Kanaskis Explorer and Old Strathcona are great too if you like wilderness style scents.
Thanks for the recommendation to try this company. I definitely have more experimentation to do and as I said, rushed to get a preliminary review up. I haven’t actually used a badger with this soap yet, which is strange. I am primarily using synthetic and don’t know why I grabbed the boar.

I got a AS sample of Kanaskis Explorer and that is an instant buy for me. What I found interesting was using a EU alcohol splash first, the two scents combined in an unexpected and wonderful way. Old Strathcona is going on the Fall purchase list already after reading reviews.

I am going to continue to patronise The Shave Supply vs buying direct as long as they have what I want. They also have an exclusive scent that I probably should have got instead of Spring Cabin, maybe later.

Yeah
I am glad you were able to take advantage of the sale, I kind of had to rush post it.

Thanks for the recommendation to try this company. I definitely have more experimentation to do and as I said, rushed to get a preliminary review up. I haven’t actually used a badger with this soap yet, which is strange. I am primarily using synthetic and don’t know why I grabbed the boar.

I got a AS sample of Kanaskis Explorer and that is an instant buy for me. What I found interesting was using a EU alcohol splash first, the two scents combined in an unexpected and wonderful way. Old Strathcona is going on the Fall purchase list already after reading reviews.

I am going to continue to patronise The Shave Supply vs buying direct as long as they have what I want. They also have an exclusive scent that I probably should have got instead of Spring Cabin, maybe later.
I would really like to try that Shave Supply exclusive one but unfortunately Shave Supply charges ridiculous rates for shipping to my country. There is a new release from MacDuffs just coming out, called Sea To Sky, that sounds maybe a bit similar, so I will get that instead.

I've been eyeing this soap make for a little while now and wish I knew this sale was coming. I really want to try some of their soaps but unfortunately I've spent a ton on software recently and am tapped out at this point. They are on my wish list though and I will try them at some point.

I appreciate the reviews though. Thanks guys.

Summer Cabin is a better scent than Spring Cabin, in my opinion. Kanaskis Explorer and Old Strathcona are great too if you like wilderness style scents. Prairie Rum Runner is an interesting darker bay rum variant and the aftershave splash smells much more bay rummy and is fantastic for bay rum fans. I like the Rose Gold too, quite low-key and slightly fruity for a rose scent. My favourite is Lilacs In Bloom, which I didn’t expect - it is somehow a very cosy and comforting lilac scent and I find it compelling for some reason, even though I’m usually not big on lilac. I’d say Summer Cabin is equally good and probably would have wider appeal than the lilac.
I really like Lilacs in Bloom too, I picked it up in a trade and wasn't quite sure if it was a scent I'd go for, but I really dig it.
The AS is nice too, although it goes on a little tackier than I would like.

I really like Lilacs in Bloom too, I picked it up in a trade and wasn't quite sure if it was a scent I'd go for, but I really dig it.
The AS is nice too, although it goes on a little tackier than I would like.
Great, it’s not just me.

Yeah, the aftershave splashes are sticky for hours. I still buy and use them for the scents, but I would much rather they absorbed quickly into the skin. I mentioned it in an email exchange with the owner and he knows, and is working on a non sticky splash. He says it is due to all the skincare stuff he puts in it.

Yeah

I would really like to try that Shave Supply exclusive one but unfortunately Shave Supply charges ridiculous rates for shipping to my country. There is a new release from MacDuffs just coming out, called Sea To Sky, that sounds maybe a bit similar, so I will get that instead.
MacD is selling the Shave Supply exclusive for people outside the US. :devil:

Great, it’s not just me.

Yeah, the aftershave splashes are sticky for hours. I still buy and use them for the scents, but I would much rather they absorbed quickly into the skin. I mentioned it in an email exchange with the owner and he knows, and is working on a non sticky splash. He says it is due to all the skincare stuff he puts in it.
Yeah I think they're heavy on the aloe vera and glycerine, reminds me a lot of some of the stuff from Ginger's Garden and even Chatillon Lux. It's a fine line for sure in having the right amount of skincare of having it be a little too heavy handed... I think that Maol might do the best job of striking a balance.

Yeah I think they're heavy on the aloe vera and glycerine, reminds me a lot of some of the stuff from Ginger's Garden and even Chatillon Lux. It's a fine line for sure in having the right amount of skincare of having it be a little too heavy handed... I think that Maol might do the best job of striking a balance.
Try a simple alcohol based aftershave first, it does work better plus you get a menthol fix if you are into that.

Mods can you please move this post to shaving soaps? Thanks.

This has progressed past it's original intent and won't be easily found where it is. Also please delete this post.

Try a simple alcohol based aftershave first, it does work better plus you get a menthol fix if you are into that.
Oh yeah I’ve tried all sorts, was just commenting on the MacDuffs splashes for this thread… for me I do usually need some kind of skin goodies to not feel dried out, stuff like Fine and Pinaud don’t work all that well for me. And I’ve only tried the one MacDuffs AS but it is tackier than I would like, although not bad enough to where I’ll just abandon using it completely.

Oh yeah I’ve tried all sorts, was just commenting on the MacDuffs splashes for this thread… for me I do usually need some kind of skin goodies to not feel dried out, stuff like Fine and Pinaud don’t work all that well for me. And I’ve only tried the one MacDuffs AS but it is tackier than I would like, although not bad enough to where I’ll just abandon using it completely.
Maybe water it down just a touch before applying it??

Maybe water it down just a touch before applying it??
I do make it a point to have dampened hands when I use AS’s that are more viscous, I started doing that with Chatty Lux splashes in part just so I don’t end up with as much of an oily consistency on my hands afterwards. And I like to have some moisture in my face as well, but it again becomes a fine line because if it’s too much it’s like you’re trying to create a mixture of the water and the splash you’re using. I think that when Shawn was still making the CL splashes he actually recommended having some moisture on your hands and/or face so that it wouldn’t go on too thick.

As far as the scents go, I have tried many of them and own a good number. Allow me to elaborate on some of the scents:

Spring Cabin: Light, fresh scent that has a natural and slightly lotion-y scent to it that is really quite fruity. Melon, tangerine, and cucumber are the notes that are primary. I know this lists woods and citrus, but I don't get much of that.

Summer Cabin: A great scent. Very much a citrus woody scent that is slightly heavier on the wood than the citrus. Really lovely.

Fall Cabin: Like "Kananaskis Explorer", this one has a bit of coniferous forest in it, but the edge is less herbal and sweeter. A woodsy scent with a hint of ripe fall fruit in the base. It might sound weird, but I think it's really nice.

Old Strathcona: Maybe Shawn's best scent. If you are familiar with Houbigant's Fougere Royale, this is (intentionally?) a near-perfect copy of it in a shave soap. It is herbal, green, yet pleasantly soft/sweet all in one. Really the best Fougere scent I have used other than Manuel (Jabonman/Eufros) Fougere. And I could argue this scent is better than Manuel's.

Badlands: Straight-up peach. Very fruit forward and pleasant, but if you are expecting a complex ride, this isn't it IMO. My least favorite scents of the ones I own.

Kananaskis Explorer: A near carbon copy of Noble Otter's "The Trail". It is piney and coniferous but not harsh in any way. Christmas tree in a soap puck. The perfect winter soap, especially if you can pair it with an EDT that uses similar notes (CdG Monocle Hinoki for example).

Icefields Parkway: Eucalyptus and peppermint. Very light on the menthol and really won't cool your face as others do. Beautiful for hot days and reminds me slightly of Eufros Lima Especias. Except for no cooling.

Prairie Rum Runner: I am not a Bay Rum fan (I have owned several and ultimately disliked them all), but this one was nice. I don't know what it is, but it isn't as dependent on the bay leaf and citrus", so it felt more innovative and interesting to me.

Top Bottom