What's new

LRod's Acquisition and everything else Thread!

Congrats!
So the time has come to ask you for sharing your top10 razors...
#drummroll
Thanks!
Not yet, soon!
I've gotta give my top contenders some repeated runs and then I'll post what I like best.
Some I've only used a couple of times and some I've used a lot, so I think I need to give the lower use ones some more usage in order to be fair. The good thing is that I shave every day (and sometimes twice in a day).
So it shouldn't take long!

So I couldn't wait and just had a shower for a shave with the Saturn.
I had plenty of growth since I got home late last night and didn't shave then.
So about 1.5 days of growth for this shave!
Well my friends, I think this is my unicorn razor.
Fantastic is an understatement!
Loaded a new Personna Lab blue and had my usual 2 pass shave.
Perfect, perfect, perfect in every way!!

I thought the brass Jupiter would be unbeatable but the Saturn beats
it by a smidge. This thing glides even more and shaves smooth as silk.
The head design is a bit different than the Jupiter but they definitely feel
like they're from the same lineage:
Jupiter: 110 grams, blade gap 0.5mm & blade exposure 0.03" & handle length is 100mm.
Saturn: 120 grams, blade gao 0.6mm, blade exposure 0.03" & handle length is 85mm.

I think the slight extra weight and slight blade gap increase is what makes it
even more perfect.
A shave as smooth as it gets (a tad above mild) and excellent efficiency.
Love it!!
The only two negatives I can say is:
1. The very short screw post (I mentioned this before when reviewing the Jupiter)
It's acceptable but it'd be better if it was a bit longer. It's OK if you don't use a washer but
I use a washer on any razor that accepts it. Both Reggie's have a slot for a washer!
2. They need to do a better job with the polishing. They mention that they hand polish these
razors and to expect some machine marks. The final actual polishing seems so so. But It's not really an issue for me because I'll simply hand polish it myself and that'll take me 20 minutes to do! So no big deal!
The Jupiter didn't have this issue though. The polishing on that one was spot on!

The Reggie's shaving soap that I received as an extra:
Excellent stuff!
It's a nice soft soap that performs well and smells fantastic. It's kind of like a barber shop scent with
a very mild added OUD scent. And the scent lingers after the shave which I like.
Very nice indeed!

So folks, this is where I go from here (For real!): 😂
I've bought, tried, kept & sold so many razors that at some point you've gotta slow down.
And I know I've said this before but I've literally tried a huge portion of everything that's out there with
a few exceptions.
I recently ordered the Yates "New" Winning razor to try it out and I'm waiting for it to arrive whenever
it gets built. That's the only outstanding razor right now!
And I will most likely purchase Blackland's new GEM Sabre whenever it gets released.
Other than that, nothing else out there right now really interests me.
I know I haven't tried every model from every manufacture but I've pretty much tried something from each manufacturer. And thus far I have my favorites and some that I won't buy anything from again.
That's always been the goal: Buy, try, keep and/or sell till I'm down to what I love!
I think I'm there!! :)

Looks like you now know your offset from my preferences then. :D
Although I should say that I have bought the Jupiter myself, as I found it to be the best "Merkur/DE89 style" head I've found to date, and rather enjoyable as well.

I suspect you might find the new Winning razor a little too mild.

Two questions for you:
- Have you ever tried the PAA Ascension (particularly the steel one)? If not, you might want to give it a whirl.
- Have you ever tried a Muhle R41 with injector blades? They smooth it out very nicely.

:confused1:confused1 - ok! You have my full attention…tell me more!!

Thanks,

Guido
Well, most heads that use two posts and a thread in the middle will take a pair of injector blades (one on each side) fairly well, unless the head is quite curved (think RazoRock BBS), twist-slanted (Wunderbar style) or the three two posts and thread aren't quite the same size.

It does take a bit of care when positioning them, but once in place, they tend to razors that have too much blade flex with a DE blade for me much more usable.
The two injector blades are a bit narrower than DE blades, so there's also a little less blade exposure, but I think that's quite OK with the R41.

The R41 is a little special in that it practically doesn't bend the blade and the top cap is fairly thin, so it's rather easy to use it like an injector by riding the cap.

It also works with the dscosmetic Z0 head, and while that one still feels pretty blade forward, the difference in smoothness is even more pronounced for me than with a standard R41 head.

I also don't find the R41 particularly efficient because the relatively small amount of blade flex it has is enough to make the blade flex into the skin ATG, and too much not to bend off a hair when doing anything but riding the bar for me, and it's too rough with a DE blade to ride the comb.

Using it with an injector style blade fixes this for me.
It also helps to use thicker vintage blades as a shim sandwich, but I still find injector blades nicer.

Well, most heads that use two posts and a thread in the middle will take a pair of injector blades (one on each side) fairly well, unless the head is quite curved (think RazoRock BBS), twist-slanted (Wunderbar style) or the three two posts and thread aren't quite the same size.

It does take a bit of care when positioning them, but once in place, they tend to razors that have too much blade flex with a DE blade for me much more usable.
The two injector blades are a bit narrower than DE blades, so there's also a little less blade exposure, but I think that's quite OK with the R41.

The R41 is a little special in that it practically doesn't bend the blade and the top cap is fairly thin, so it's rather easy to use it like an injector by riding the cap.

It also works with the dscosmetic Z0 head, and while that one still feels pretty blade forward, the difference in smoothness is even more pronounced for me than with a standard R41 head.

I also don't find the R41 particularly efficient because the relatively small amount of blade flex it has is enough to make the blade flex into the skin ATG, and too much not to bend off a hair when doing anything but riding the bar for me, and it's too rough with a DE blade to ride the comb.

Using it with an injector style blade fixes this for me.
It also helps to use thicker vintage blades as a shim sandwich, but I still find injector blades nicer.
Interesting! I might want to try that in the future! The Razorine Flatboy also comes to mind - but the thread post is too small I think to accommodate the thickness of injector blades.

Thanks!

Guido

Interesting! I might want to try that in the future! The Razorine Flatboy also comes to mind - but the thread post is too small I think to accommodate the thickness of injector blades.

Thanks!

Guido
I think the Flatboy uses little bars parallel with the cutting edge (they have a proper name which I can't remember now), and that doesn't play very well with the flat back of injector blades. End up being a bit too fussy to get the blades aligned in those.

I think a Futur-style clone could take these fairly well... and there's one I'd like to try out with rollers instead of safety bars, so I'll probably grab one of those to try.

Larry, do you still have your ATT X1?…..or did that one go bye bye too?
Bye bye!!
All I have left of ATT is a couple of handles. All heads are gone. Despite liking the X1, AC razors are my least liked because of the massive width of the blades/heads.
Very non-maneuverable for me!
I've got 2 AC's left (Stando NG & Razorock Hawk) and haven't been able to get rid of them.
The Stando is pretty and efficient so I guess it'll just stay with me to just have an AC razor for whenever I feel the urge of using one.

Bye bye!!
All I have left of ATT is a couple of handles. All heads are gone. Despite liking the X1, AC razors are my least liked because of the massive width of the blades/heads.
Very non-maneuverable for me!
I've got 2 AC's left (Stando NG & Razorock Hawk) and haven't been able to get rid of them.
The Stando is pretty and efficient so I guess it'll just stay with me to just have an AC razor for whenever I feel the urge of using one.
You definitely don't have to answer my inquisitorial question, but how many razors are still left in your den (as of today 😎)?

You definitely don't have to answer my inquisitorial question, but how many razors are still left in your den (as of today 😎)?
Glad you asked since your question made me go into my "Razor list".
I hadn't updated the list in a while!
32 Modern
11 Vintage
1 Straight
This razor count is very much subject to change! 😂

Last edited:
Looks like you now know your offset from my preferences then. :D
Although I should say that I have bought the Jupiter myself, as I found it to be the best "Merkur/DE89 style" head I've found to date, and rather enjoyable as well.

I suspect you might find the new Winning razor a little too mild.

Two questions for you:
- Have you ever tried the PAA Ascension (particularly the steel one)? If not, you might want to give it a whirl.
- Have you ever tried a Muhle R41 with injector blades? They smooth it out very nicely.
-Yep, I guess I do!
-The Jupiter is excellent. Both Reggie's are!
-The "new" winning is supposed to be mild but efficient. I don't mind mild as long as it does a good job.
I had the old one a while back and it was pretty good minus the "suction thing" that I felt from it.
Supposedly the new one is better!
I just want to compare it to my Henson aggressive +++ which I really really like. No suction feel with that one!
-Never tried the Ascension, only PAA I have is the aluminum Starling v2 with both SB & OC heads. It's pretty good!
I'll only glance at the Ascension to see it, LOL!!
-I honestly like the R41 as is! I find it very smooth with the standard DE blades. I've never felt any roughness or aggression with it. But of course I have the new version and not the pre 2013 model (which I'd never buy).
My Ikon Tek is the king of aggression in my den!

You're going to have to give us a list of your current den at some point, L-RAD. ;)

Do you still have the Henson +++? That is more efficient than the Winning v2, but I do have and like both.
Yep, still have it. One of my favorites!
Got rid of the Ti and kept the aluminum. I didn't see a huge difference and found the Ti too expensive for what it was (as compared to the aluminum). Luckily I broke even with that sale.
I'll post a list soon!!
Reason I never post it, is because it changes often, Lol!!

Yesterday I wrote about Reggie's Saturn & Jupiter and how the hand polishing they did wasn't as good as it could've been.
I'm gonna write them about it, hoping that they can improve on this. Well, spent my time today and hand polished both the Jupiter and Saturn.
This is how they're supposed to look!
Absolutely stunning:

PXL_20240429_022813663.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20240429_022833664.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20240429_022758814.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20240429_022740699.NIGHT.jpg

Second shave tonight with the stainless Saturn.
Unbelievably good!!
And my yesterdays shave lasted 20+ hours. I can't ask for more
doing a 2 pass shave without ATG.
I have nothing else to say except pure praise.
What a shave, what a razor!

This looks amazing, great polishing work!

It's a pity they don't offer a longer (90-95mm) SS handle to fit the Saturn head (or at least a more wallet friendly "head only" option). I'd be all over it...

Could you pls tell us the width of the Saturn /Jupiter OEM handles?

Do you think the Saturn razor is more efficient than the Primo?
And what about the Jupiter v. Primo?

Asking for another Guido 😉
🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
This looks amazing, great polishing work!

It's a pity they don't offer a longer (90-95mm) SS handle to fit the Saturn head (or at least a more wallet friendly "head only" option). I'd be all over it...

Could you pls tell us the width of the Saturn /Jupiter OEM handles?
Asking for another Guido 😎🤣🤣
Thanks!
They're just getting started so I'm guessing they'll eventually add handles & head only options. That's what I'd do anyways!
Man, I don't have have a micrometer to measure that. I need to buy one!
I'll try using a standard ruler and my eyes in order to give you an idea of the width whenever I get the chance.

Top Bottom