What's new

LRod's Acquisition and everything else Thread!

Man, it's hard to tell. Reggie's doesn't publish anything about blade exposure but from what I felt, it would be very very slight positive. Based on the efficiency I got, I'm guessing it is since neutral & negative razors typically aren't this efficient for me. But you barely feel any blade.
It's weird!
The Outlaw description says it's "neutral to slight posive, depending which blade is used"
But it definitely has more blade feel than the Reggie's Jupiter. And the old Outlaw had even more blade feel than the new Outlaw.
Hope this helps!
I think the Jupiter might have more exposure than the Outlaw Evolution, but in the Outlaw, I could feel the blade more, yet differently, very likely due to more blade flex.

It's odd that the Outlaw has so much of it, though. The clamping surface should be large, but I think that the way the top cap is designed makes it err more on the side of less contact with the base plate's clamping point nearer the cutting edge, and the top cap is rounded upward a fair bit near the cutting edge, allowing for more upward flex.

Might be just the two pieces I got, though.

I think the Jupiter might have more exposure than the Outlaw Evolution, but in the Outlaw, I could feel the blade more, yet differently, very likely due to more blade flex.

It's odd that the Outlaw has so much of it, though. The clamping surface should be large, but I think that the way the top cap is designed makes it err more on the side of less contact with the base plate's clamping point nearer the cutting edge, and the top cap is rounded upward a fair bit near the cutting edge, allowing for more upward flex.

Might be just the two pieces I got, though.
Yep, same results for me!
Either way, I really like them both in a different way.

The Merkur Futur arrived from Portugal today!
Let's see how I get along with it this time around:

full

full

full

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
The Merkur Futur arrived from Portugal today!
Let's see how I get along with it this time around:

full

full

full

Ahh good, you got the real thing this time, the genuine article, not the fake clone. Now, it is true that the genuine Futur, does provide difficulty, in getting the under the nose whiskers. Having said that however, the weight of the Future, helps to produce a smooth shave with a GSB, Nacet, or Wizamet.

You will notice how the weight of the razor, carries the blade through the cut. But as Corey had to learn, use lower aggression levels first. Because at the end of the day, the Futur is an aggressive razor. So start with level 1 first, if its not enough, move onto level 2 or 3.

Ideally, you won't have seriously course whiskers, requiring you to use settings 4 through 6. One things for sure, clones don't always get it right, so its great that you finally have the genuine article now. Good luck to you, happy shaves. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Ahh good, you got the real thing this time, the genuine article, not the fake clone. Now, it is true that the genuine Futur, does provide difficulty, in getting the under the nose whiskers. Having said that however, the weight of the Future, helps to produce a smooth shave with a GSB, Nacet, or Wizamet.

You will notice how the weight of the razor, carries the blade through the cut. But as Corey had to learn, use lower aggression levels first. Because at the end of the day, the Futur is an aggressive razor. So start with level 1 first, if its not enough, move onto level 2 or 3.

Ideally, you won't have seriously course whiskers, requiring you to use settings 4 through 6. One things for sure, clones don't always get it right, so its great that you finally have the genuine article now. Good luck to you, happy shaves. Thanks for sharing your pictures.
Chris, where'd you read that I had a clone?
I had a real Futur! 😂
I've never owned the clone!
And I sold it because I don't think I gave it a fair shake and found it pretty scary. That was around the time that I first started wet shaving!

Ok, so it's been around 21 hours since I shaved with the Reggie's Jupiter. I have a habit of feeling my face throughout different times of the day when trying out a new razor.

Now is that I'm feeling some stubble!
If it weren't for the fact that I need a close shave for work (and because I love to shave every day), I'd be able to get away with skipping a day.
Folks, this is as I stated, a 2 pass WTG/XTG with no ATG. I said it left me near BBS and was correct on that assumption right after I finished the shave last night.

So how'd they do it? I haven't a clue!
A razor that feels like barely nothing has touched your face during and after the shave but leaves a shave this close?
I guess Reggie's figured out some magic formula or something when it comes to designing a razor.
This razor is nothing short of phenomenal!

Last edited:
Ok, so it's been around 21 hours since I shaved with the Reggie's Jupiter. I have a habit of feeling my face throughout different times of the day when trying out a new razor.

Now is that I'm feeling some stubble!
If it weren't for the fact that I need a close shave for work (and because I love to shave every day), I'd be able to get away with skipping a day.
Folks, this is as I stated, a 2 pass WTG/XTG with no ATG. I said it left me near BBS and was correct on that assumption right after I finished the shave last night.

So how'd they do it? I haven't a clue!
A razor that feels like barely nothing has touched your face during and after the shave but leaves a shave this close?
I guess Reggie's figured out some magic formula or something when it comes to designing a razor.
This razor is nothing short of phenomenal!
I suspect it's that you were able to keep the angle with it really well, better than with a lot of other razors, and the mildly positive exposure did the rest.

I suspect it's that you were able to keep the angle with it really well, better than with a lot of other razors, and the mildly positive exposure did the rest.
That's possible but I seem to relatively do the same with most of my best & frequently used razors.
And this one just did better!
So it's gotta be something in the geometry & design as well. I'm sure I'll never figure that part out but as long as it keeps doing what it's doing,
I'm happy!

I had a late night shave last night with the Futur.
Interesting to say the least!

It's big & intimidating but felt (this time around) like pretty much any other razor with a large
blade gap. I didn't feel it as aggressive as I expected but did feel a lot of blade chatter.
The most chatter I've experienced with any razor. Running your finger perpendicular to the blade
shows just how much that blade flexes. It almost feel loose!
I actually like the size and weight and the handle feels secure despite not having any knurling.
I used level 2 for the first pass and level 1 for the second!
I doubt I would ever use a higher setting since I shave daily. Not enough beard growth to justify
using a higher setting.

And the efficiency should be relatively the same on every level since the blade exposure doesn't change.
So my result was an OK shave but nothing spectacular. Not a razor that I would likely consider using daily.
I got a decent shave with no irritation but not the smoothness on my face that I would expect.
I also saw some tiny missed spots that required some buffing.
I'm certain that the lack of blade clamping plays a role in all of this.
It's now around 13 hours since I shaved and I feel plenty of rough whiskers already!
I'll give it some more use in the future but right now I'll keep going with the other excellent razors
that I'm using.
This includes the Merkur Progress which for me is absolutely excellent.
Anyways, back to the other ones!!

Shave #2 with the Reggie's Jupiter!
My usual nightly 2 pass WTG/XTG, same Lab Blue blade with TOBS Mr. Taylor's cream.
Plenty of stubble left over from yesterdays shave with the Futur!
Again the same wonderful result as my first shave with the Jupiter.
I don't know what else to say except that this razor is exceptional.
The bad:
It's making me very curious about the Stainless version they make 😂
But it's very expensive so I think if I go that route it'd be a future purchase.
The exchange rate with the British pound isn't very good now.

And that brings me to wonder about their pricing:
USD including shipping to the USA:
Aluminum Jupiter: $120
Brass Jupiter: $140 (I paid $126 because I used a first time buyer coupon)
Stainless Saturn: $294
Titanium Titan: $320

Does this pricing make sense to anyone?
Full polished brass with an amazing fit and finish and it's $20 more than the aluminum!
And then comparing the brass to the stainless:
I get the fact that Brass is easier to machine but the brass razor is fully polished which should bring up the cost.
And to get a stainless one it's $154 more than the brass. That's a massive jump in price!
And then the titanium is just $26 more than the stainless?
The whole pricing structure makes no sense to me.
In my view: the aluminum is OK at $120, the brass is a steal at $140, the stainless is overpriced (should be max $250) and the titanium should be $300.
That's what I believe it should be anyways, maybe they have their reasons for these prices.
For now, I will enjoy my incredible bargain priced brass razor!

Shave #2 with the Reggie's Jupiter!
My usual nightly 2 pass WTG/XTG, same Lab Blue blade with TOBS Mr. Taylor's cream.
Plenty of stubble left over from yesterdays shave with the Futur!
Again the same wonderful result as my first shave with the Jupiter.
I don't know what else to say except that this razor is exceptional.
The bad:
It's making me very curious about the Stainless version they make 😂
But it's very expensive so I think if I go that route it'd be a future purchase.
The exchange rate with the British pound isn't very good now.

And that brings me to wonder about their pricing:
USD including shipping to the USA:
Aluminum Jupiter: $120
Brass Jupiter: $140 (I paid $126 because I used a first time buyer coupon)
Stainless Saturn: $294
Titanium Titan: $320

Full polished brass with an amazing fit and finish and it's $20 more than the aluminum!
And then comparing the brass to the stainless:
I get the fact that Brass is easier to machine but the brass razor is fully polished which should bring up the cost.
And to get a stainless one it's $154 more than the brass. That's a massive jump in price!
And then the titanium is just $26 more than the stainless?
The whole pricing structure makes no sense to me.
In my view: the aluminum is OK at $120, the brass is a steal at $140, the stainless is overpriced (should be max $250) and the titanium should be $300.
That's what I believe it should be anyways, maybe they have their reasons for these prices.
For now, I will enjoy my incredible bargain priced brass razor!
Yeah, it does seem confusing.
giphy.gif

Yes. You have materials expenses and tooling expenses. Both metals are relatively soft so probably similar tooling expense; the raw material difference may really only be $20! More interesting is the difference between the other two, Henson has stated that they will not produce a stainless razor because it would cost as much as titanium. Nope, I ain't going back for another look... nope...

Yes. You have materials expenses and tooling expenses. Both metals are relatively soft so probably similar tooling expense; the raw material difference may really only be $20! More interesting is the difference between the other two, Henson has stated that they will not produce a stainless razor because it would cost as much as titanium. Nope, I ain't going back for another look... nope...
Interesting!
I guess it makes sense then. I had no idea that making a stainless razor cost so much.
But then you have someone like The Goodfellas' smile that makes the fully stainless CNC machined Syntesi "in Italy" for under $100.
I wonder how they pull it off?
Maybe that stuff is all cheaper in Italy?
Which would make since brass Fatip's are dirt cheap.

Edit: And the Greencult's too which are made in Austria!
I was gonna throw Shield on the list of cheap fully stainless razors (Last week I ordered 2 in GEM & DE format for less than $60 a piece). But then I thought about it and it wouldn't be a fair comparison since stuff in China can be made for pennies on the dollar.

I guess it is what it is and I'll have to fork out the money for the stainless Reggie's if I decide to buy one down the line!

Last edited:
Well, the steel and
Interesting!
I guess it makes sense then. I had no idea that making a stainless razor cost so much.
But then you have someone like The Goodfellas' smile that makes the fully stainless CNC machined Syntesi "in Italy" for under $100.
I wonder how they pull it off?
Maybe that stuff is all cheaper in Italy?
Which would make since brass Fatip's are dirt cheap.

Edit: And the Greencult's too which are made in Austria!
I was gonna throw Shield on the list of cheap fully stainless razors (Last week I ordered 2 in GEM & DE format for less than $60 a piece). But then I thought about it and it wouldn't be a fair comparison since stuff in China can be made for pennies on the dollar.

I guess it is what it is and I'll have to fork out the money for the stainless Reggie's if I decide to buy one down the line!
Work is pretty pricey in the UK, and I think the design of the steel and titanium heads makes them a bit trickier to machine than the Jupiter as well.
I don't think they make a lot of them either, so at a small scale, they're bound to be more expensive.

The Goodfellas' Smile had their own store for a good while before they started making their own razors, and Green Cult had a cheap option out of the door first, and the original design was likely cheaper to make than the current iteration as well.

I suspect that Reggie's is aiming to make the aluminium and brass ones in larger quantities and keep the steel and titanium ones as a sort of premium offering in smaller quantities.

Top Bottom