What's new

LRod's Acquisition and everything else Thread!

Is this your first order with Blackland? I'm sure you know already... but if it is and you sign up all the way through to the text notifications, you'll get an additional 15%. Just in case you missed it... which I doubt you did.
Thanks Kim!

We'll I'm interested in the SS version and not the Ti so the sale is perfect for me right now.
Why oh why?🤣
Well I shaved with my SS Blackbird 12 hours ago and I am still plenty socially acceptable, but I am not sure that's helpful! You know you can buy the different handles separate, in case you can't decide? :001_tt2:
(I put the Vector in my cart and they won't stop sending me reminders that it's waiting for me):mad1:

Well, I took a different turn. I decided to not buy the Blackbird. After looking at it again and again, I don't think I'd like it. I love the Tatara and don't think the Blackbird would be a "revelation" above the Nodachi. I've been looking at the Blackbird for like a year and always skipped it. I can't get passed the handle! And I don't like buying a razor and switching it's handle. I've mentioned before that I don't like the fact of paying full price for a razor and just using the head.
But: Being me that likes trying obscure items, I just ordered a GreenCult 2.0 (the new version).
I've been eyeing it since they introduced it and I found it at a European seller for less than the introductory price Greencult had a couple weeks ago (last one in stock). I saved like $35 vs. the price that Greencult currently sells it for.
So yes, a machined stainless razor made in Austria for less than $90!
I couldn't pass on that! And it's got the characteristics that I favor. They only had the one with plate II which is 0.65 gap but it's got 0.1mm. of blade exposure. So I believe it will fit neatly with all my other razors. Should have plenty of blade feel for me, smoothness and sufficient efficiency with that combo for daily shaving.

full

Last edited:
They are supposed to have a stand coming soon so if you don't end up hating the handle, you can pick that up plus the IV plate that you are going to want. :wink2:
(I used my Greencult money to buy my 2nd Bird)

They are supposed to have a stand coming soon so if you don't end up hating the handle, you can pick that up plus the IV plate that you are going to want. :wink2:
(I used my Greencult money to buy my 2nd Bird)
The handle looks like something I'd like (length, diameter & style). But I could be totally wrong! We'll see!
And the plate is hopefully enough, Lol!
But yeah, if anything I'll get the IV.
Which Greencult did you have? The old one or this one?

The handle looks like something I'd like (length, diameter & style). But I could be totally wrong! We'll see!
And the plate is hopefully enough, Lol!
But yeah, if anything I'll get the IV.
Which Greencult did you have? The old one or this one?
Oh sorry! I meant that I spent the money I had set aside for the Green Cult because I still wasn't sure that I would like it. I have a feeling you are going to like it, but the IV plate would be very helpful to find your limit for future purchases!

Oh sorry! I meant that I spent the money I had set aside for the Green Cult because I still wasn't sure that I would like it. I have a feeling you are going to like it, but the IV plate would be very helpful to find your limit for future purchases!
So you have 2 Blackbirds now or you had one, sold it and then bought another one again?
And if you do have 2, what are the differences in models you have?
I ask because I plan on getting a second Nodachi. But it would be the matte silver one since I've already got the black one!
I want to know if I'm the only one that would buy two of the same razor! Lol!!

So you have 2 Blackbirds now or you had one, sold it and then bought another one again?
And if you do have 2, what are the differences in models you have?
I ask because I plan on getting a second Nodachi. But it would be the matte silver one since I've already got the black one!
I want to know if I'm the only one that would buy two of the same razor! Lol!!
Sorry again! I bought the Ti Bird three months ago. I always wanted an original Blackbird with the short handle, recently found one and made that my Travel Bird. I share your dislike for the look, it took me 2 years to finally give it a chance. I wish the handle was fatter too, but it just works for me. As you have found out, sometimes things just work and you have to go with what works!

Sorry again! I bought the Ti Bird three months ago. I always wanted an original Blackbird with the short handle, recently found one and made that my Travel Bird. I share your dislike for the look, it took me 2 years to finally give it a chance. I wish the handle was fatter too, but it just works for me. As you have found out, sometimes things just work and you have to go with what works!
Yep I agree, whatever works, works!
I just don't like stuff (that works) that I physically dislike. I'm sure that might seem dumb for some but that's just me. I don't know, maybe I'll end up giving that Blackbird a chance. Like everyone has said, they do have a 30 day return policy. The sale is ongoing till the 30th. so I've still got a chance to think about it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Larry, I have three Claymore Evos... one with a polished finish that will likely never be offered again and a two matte finish ones because I know how things change. I have two set up with polished and matte Timeless Ti Crown handles and razor stands and the other one with the OEM handle and razor stand. I've already given one Claymore away and I might do that with my extra matte finish one as well.

But I will keep the two Claymores even though I like the X1 more... Nostalgia, probably and that might change over time, who knows? Right now, I'm using the Claymore around my nose even if I'm using another razor for the rest of my shave. It's so easy to use there. As I posted the other day... heretical, I know... but it works for me.

Just picked this up today at Target!
Norelco 5100 rotary razor. Couldn't say no to this Black Friday deal: $34.99 (normally sells everywhere for $100).
I've got my old Panasonic Arc 5 that I still use for cleaning up rogue hairs around my ears and lower neck.
Figured that for $35, I might as well add this one in. I'm sure it'll get some use!

full

Well, I took a different turn. I decided to not buy the Blackbird. After looking at it again and again, I don't think I'd like it. I love the Tatara and don't think the Blackbird would be a "revelation" above the Nodachi. I've been looking at the Blackbird for like a year and always skipped it. I can't get passed the handle! And I don't like buying a razor and switching it's handle. I've mentioned before that I don't like the fact of paying full price for a razor and just using the head.
But: Being me that likes trying obscure items, I just ordered a GreenCult 2.0 (the new version).
I've been eyeing it since they introduced it and I found it at a European seller for less than the introductory price Greencult had a couple weeks ago (last one in stock). I saved like $35 vs. the price that Greencult currently sells it for.
So yes, a machined stainless razor made in Austria for less than $90!
I couldn't pass on that! And it's got the characteristics that I favor. They only had the one with plate II which is 0.65 gap but it's got 0.1mm. of blade exposure. So I believe it will fit neatly with all my other razors. Should have plenty of blade feel for me, smoothness and sufficient efficiency with that combo for daily shaving.

full
Tracking shows that my Greencult 2.0 has already passed customs in NY. It should be here soon!
5 days since purchased (came from Madrid Spain) and it's already on this side of the pond. Not bad!
I guess the Spanish postal service is more efficient than in the UK, Portugal & Turkey!

I already posted this in the Greencult 2.0 thread but might as well stick it in my thread as well!

My GC 2.0 finally arrived from Spain yesterday!
Just took it out for a look:
First off, as everyone else has experienced, the 3-D printed plastic insert didn't survive the trip.
It was shattered so the razor was loose in the box. No big deal though since it's just a box!
The actual razor arrived in perfect condition.
First thing that came to mind was, how could this thing cost me less than $90?
The fit and finish is superb!
I'm guessing that if this razor was to be made here in the USA, it'd be priced at twice what I paid. The quality surpasses other more expensive razors I own and is something expected coming out of Austria.
The weight seems evenly distributed which makes it very balanced (it's heavy!) and it feels very comfortable.
Out of every razor I've ever owned, I've never seen a razor where the handle screws in so smoothly. I kept repeatedly screwing it on and off and was left in awe, Lol!!
Reminds me of how the doors close on a European car (like a fridge). The bottom plate does have a recess where the handle screws onto but they also put a washer to avoid metal to metal contact that rests within the recess.
The machined swirl marks on the underside of the top cap are a thing of beauty. These are the little details that make things special!
At least in looks, feel and quality, I give it an A+.
I've got a 2 day growth that's ready for tonight's shave. Since mine came with the Level II, 0.65 plate, in not expecting a very agressive shave but the 0.1mm positive blade exposure should allow for a very efficient shave. I really hope that the shave matches everything else positive that I've described. If it does, this razor will be a winner!
I've since ordered the Level III plate which is 0.85 gap & 0.15 blade exposure. That should be the sweet spot for me. I've also ordered the previous version 1.1 of the Greencult razor. I'm looking forward to that one as well. It should arrive next week along with the Level II plate for the 2.0. I'll follow up later with the shave results.
Here are some pictures:

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

First shave report with the GC 2.0!
I'll be quick:
2 pass wtg/xtg shave with 2 days of growth.
I used a new Personna Lab Blue blade.

I always say it as it is as soon as I have the first shave. If it's good it's good and if it's bad it's bad!
Folks, I'm in shock!
The shocker: I got the smoothest & closest shave ever! No kidding!
It's crazy but true. Closer shave (I believe) than my Tatara & ATT X1 slant. I don't know if I should be upset or happy, LOL!! The true long term result will be when I feel my face in 12-16 hours!
The only only thing that it lacks is the nimbleness of the Tatara. And the weird thing is that it came with the level II
plate which is 0.65 blade gap & 0.1mm blade exposure (I usually like more aggressive razors). I don't know what magic they engineered into this thing but it's pretty remarkable.
This razor is no joke! It's a tank!
The handle is perfect, the balance is perfect, weight is perfect, it sings (but has zero blade chatter), it's all perfect!
The 0.85/0.15 plate is on the way and we'll see how it does with that. I can't imagine it being any better.
This razor has also taught me something: If a razor has a beveled type head/gap i.e., Blackbird, Rocnel Elite etc..,
it won't work for me. Traditional rounded geometry that bends the blade and locks it in is what works.
And this razor masters that. The Tatara is just a millimeter behind it!
Bottom line: Best $86 I've ever spent.
RAD killer for me. Yes I said it, RAD killer!!
This GC 2.0 is shaving euphoria for me!
Everyone needs to try one of these, It's that good!
That's all I've got!!

Last edited:
First shave report with the GC 2.0!
I'll be quick:
2 pass wtg/xtg shave with 2 days of growth.
I used a new Personna Lab Blue blade.

I always say it as it is as soon as I have the first shave. If it's good it's good and if it's bad it's bad!
Folks, I'm in shock!
The shocker: I got the smoothest & closest shave ever! No kidding!
It's crazy but true. Closer shave (I believe) than my Tatara & ATT X1 slant. I don't know if I should be upset or happy, LOL!! The true long term result will be when I feel my face in 12-16 hours!
The only only thing that it lacks is the nimbleness of the Tatara. And the weird thing is that it came with the level II
plate which is 0.65 blade gap & 0.1mm blade exposure (I usually like more aggressive razors). I don't know what magic they engineered into this thing but it's pretty remarkable.
This razor is no joke! It's a tank!
The handle is perfect, the balance is perfect, weight is perfect, it sings (but has zero blade chatter), it's all perfect!
The 0.85/0.15 plate is on the way and we'll see how it does with that. I can't imagine it being any better.
This razor has also taught me something: If a razor has a beveled type head/gap i.e., Blackbird, Rocnel Elite etc..,
it won't work for me. Traditional rounded geometry that bends the blade and locks it in is what works.
And this razor masters that. The Tatara is just a millimeter behind it!
Bottom line: Best $86 I've ever spent.
RAD killer for me. Yes I said it, RAD killer!!
This GC 2.0 is shaving euphoria for me!
Everyone needs to try one of these, It's that good!
That's all I've got!!
20 hours later and my face is almost totally smooth!
Yes, it definitely gave me a closer shave than the Nodachi and the X1 slant.
And that's using the 0.65 Level II plate with a 2 pass WTG/XTG!
Wonderful is all I can say!

I've ordered a second GreenCult 2.0 razor!
Nice to have a backup of something you like in case of anything i.e., Gets lost in travel, gets discontinued, etc..
I ordered one directly from GreenCult with the IV plate. I already have the II (came with the razor) and the III is on the way along with the 1.1 razor that I had ordered a few days ago.
That gives me an opportunity to sample those 3 plates in order to find the one I like most.
Just had my 3rd. shave with it and it was incredible!
I can't praise it enough!

Top Bottom