What's new

loupe v microscope

The trouble with high magnification loupes is you have to get so close to the edge, that there's a risk of hitting and damaging the edge.

That's what I did this morning. Photo below.

I'm pondering upgrading and also wondering if loupe or microscope is better for assessing the edge as I move up each level in the progression.

Microscope shows a lot, but it's time consuming to be constantly going back and forth from honing table to the office. A loupe shows less, but you have it in hand during honing, which is handy. They make some pretty good photography loupes.

What thoughts and experiences do you gents have?

WIN_20210209_08_21_28_Pro.jpg

When a loupe requires you to get close, rest it on the spine and rotate on it till things are in view.
Reverse to move.
If you have to "float" your loupe this is bound to happen.
Having a microscope at your honing station is the best one can get in terms of a setup.
Careful what you wish for. What you see may be disturbing at first.
It will make you better at honing when you can see the effects of each honing medium.

I use a 10x loupe to look at all of my edges....any more magnification then that and you will be looking at flaws that will have no affect on your shaving experience. My theory is this....if I can get a perfect looking edge when I look through a 10x and I'm tree topping at about 1/4" above the skin, I'm good to go with a shave.

Larry

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
A microscope is great for taking edge pics to post, or looking at scratch patterns. But generally, as a honing diagnostic tool and indicator, it is hard to beat a 10x Belomo Triplet. Good field of view, reasonable focal distance, and just enough magnification.

A microscope is great for taking edge pics to post, or looking at scratch patterns. But generally, as a honing diagnostic tool and indicator, it is hard to beat a 10x Belomo Triplet. Good field of view, reasonable focal distance, and just enough magnification.
Based on the recommendations of folks on this site, I picked up a Belamo early last year and have found it to be just as @Slash McCoy said, a very useful tool.

I'm in the 10x loupe camp. I use a microscope but never while honing a razor I am going to be shaving with, only afterward, and only occasionally. The only exception to that is during experimentation with different methods or stuff like that. I do a lot of trial and error experimentation just because I enjoy it.

One tip for those having trouble holding the loupe up closer to the edge without hitting it: put the thumb or finger of your other hand near the area you are attempting to view and use it as a pivot/rest for the corner of the loupe. Once you're close, you can rock the loupe on that corner to adjust focus. That will help steady your movements and prevent damage to the edge.

Top Bottom